Tyson’s Adventures Upgrading the X3’s

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.

Tyson

Re: Tyson’s Adventures Upgrading the X3’s
« Reply #41 on: 16 Feb 2022, 05:12 pm »
Hey Tyson, have you ever auditioned your X3s in the same room that houses your Super 7s?  I was curious if you conducted the speaker shootout in the same room before you concluded the Super 7s sound quality edged out the X3s?

Thanks for sharing your X3 upgrade adventure!

I haven't, and probably won't, because getting the X3's into the basement involves wrestling them down (and then back up!) a set of narrow stairs.  I might have done it when I was younger but I'm too old for that nowadays. 

Some people might not agree with me re: the Super 7's being better.  The thing they do better is specifically the mid/tweeter integration and the overall level of detail and transparency.  On the other hand, the X3's are better at lower midrange power, upper bass rhythmic capabilities and overall dynamic punch.  So, based on the music ones listens to, I can easily see someone preferring the X3's overall. 

They will smooth out a lot. Mine took several hundred hours to get there.

Yep, that's already started to happen. 

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #42 on: 17 Feb 2022, 09:12 am »
I haven't, and probably won't, because getting the X3's into the basement involves wrestling them down (and then back up!) a set of narrow stairs.  I might have done it when I was younger but I'm too old for that nowadays. 

Some people might not agree with me re: the Super 7's being better.  The thing they do better is specifically the mid/tweeter integration and the overall level of detail and transparency.  On the other hand, the X3's are better at lower midrange power, upper bass rhythmic capabilities and overall dynamic punch.  So, based on the music ones listens to, I can easily see someone preferring the X3's overall. 

Yep, that's already started to happen.
I got'cha...  Thanks

Early B.

« Reply #43 on: 17 Feb 2022, 02:32 pm »

This was my prediction:

Here's my best guess at what Tyson's impressions will be: X3's highs are better than the Super 7's (more reserved and definitely more resolving), mids are close (not-so-subtlely different, with a preference for the Super 7's due to his musical tastes), and the bass is better overall on the Super 7's (no surprise there). Then he'll say the perfect speaker would be the Super 7's with the X3 tweeter while extolling the benefits of a horn.

How far off was I? :lol:

Tyson

« Reply #44 on: 17 Feb 2022, 05:13 pm »
This was my prediction:

Here's my best guess at what Tyson's impressions will be: X3's highs are better than the Super 7's (more reserved and definitely more resolving), mids are close (not-so-subtlely different, with a preference for the Super 7's due to his musical tastes), and the bass is better overall on the Super 7's (no surprise there). Then he'll say the perfect speaker would be the Super 7's with the X3 tweeter while extolling the benefits of a horn.

How far off was I? :lol:

Not too far off!  I’d say I prefer the top part of the Super 7’s, tweeter and midrange together.  But the drivers in the X3’s are no slouches, and they certainly have more dynamic punch.  Low bass is better on the Super 7’s but upper bass is better on the X3’s.

Tyson

« Reply #45 on: 17 Feb 2022, 05:17 pm »
I should also note that the reason it’s so critical for me to get the X3’s fully maxed out, performance wise, is because about 90% of my music listening happens upstairs nowadays.  And I don’t want to feel like there’s something missing in any way vs. the downstairs system.  And now I feel that I am not.

Tyson

« Reply #46 on: 28 Feb 2022, 09:08 pm »
Update time.  After burning in the silver Duelund bypass caps for 2 weeks straight, I have a pretty good idea of the sound of this bypass cap.  Also, remember that I swapped over to the Duelund silver from a Duelund copper bypass cap. 

Things I liked about the silver - far more resolution and better transparency and soundstage layering

Things I didn't like about the silver - loss of tonal beauty vs. the Duelund copper cap

So, what to do?  Quite the dilemma.  I love the extra resolution of silver but I cannot live without the tonal accuracy that copper brings.   Well, here's a pic of what I decided to do:

Yes, I decided to use BOTH.  So far the sound is VERY good.  All of the copper tone plus most of the silver resolution.  Me happy.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #47 on: 28 Feb 2022, 11:42 pm »
Yes, I decided to use BOTH.  So far the sound is VERY good.

Haha, you would... It's like the guy who wanted waffles for breakfast but fried chicken also sounded good and refused to choose. Perhaps you are going to start a trend. Interesting concept though, getting a musical mash-up in design.

Tyson

« Reply #48 on: 1 Mar 2022, 12:00 am »
It's definitely cheaper than my other option of buying copper foil caps to replace the main caps.  15uf copper foil caps are very expensive!

RonP

« Reply #49 on: 1 Mar 2022, 02:53 pm »

Yes, I decided to use BOTH.  So far the sound is VERY good.  All of the copper tone plus most of the silver resolution.  Me happy.
nice!

ric

« Reply #50 on: 1 Mar 2022, 02:56 pm »
While reading your message I thought "combine them" and that's what you did. Again, if it sounds good it IS good! Now I don't feel so bad about using two types of EL34's on my VAC int. amp! Enjoy!

mkrawcz

« Reply #51 on: 4 Mar 2022, 12:42 am »
Lol that’s awesome! I guess it’s time for me to add some coppers to my Silvers.

Tyson

« Reply #52 on: 22 Mar 2022, 05:44 pm »
Yesterday was my birthday (hello 50!) so I bought a nice present for myself.  Miflex copper caps to use in my X3 crossovers.  The size difference between the ODAM and the (ridiculously large) Miflex is quite funny:

The new caps don't even fit in my external crossover box so I have to have them comically sit on top of all the other parts with the lid off:

Right off the bat, I'd say that the Miflex is a step up on tonal quality but a step down in detail and resolution vs the ODAM/Duelund combo.   We'll see how things go as I get through the next 500 hours of burn in.....

howard1818

« Reply #53 on: 22 Mar 2022, 06:24 pm »
Happy birthday! Great job on a present for yourself!

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #54 on: 22 Mar 2022, 06:37 pm »
Yesterday was my birthday (hello 50!) so I bought a nice present for myself.  Miflex copper caps to use in my X3 crossovers.  The size difference between the ODAM and the (ridiculously large) Miflex is quite funny:
Happy Birthday and it’s nice to be able to treat yourself with new upgrades for your fun filled hobby!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #55 on: 22 Mar 2022, 07:34 pm »

The new caps don't even fit in my external crossover box so I have to have them comically sit on top of all the other parts with the lid off:

Right off the bat, I'd say that the Miflex is a step up on tonal quality but a step down in detail and resolution vs the ODAM/Duelund combo.   We'll see how things go as I get through the next 500 hours of burn in.....

Happy Birthday Tyson and welcome to the 50 club!

George

Tyson

« Reply #56 on: 22 Mar 2022, 09:40 pm »
Thanks all!  The funny thing is I don't really feel any different than when I was younger.   Hope that keeps up for a while longer :)

genjamon

« Reply #57 on: 22 Mar 2022, 10:06 pm »

Having compared Miflex and ODAM on my preamp outputs, I’m not surprised at this initial impression and suspect it won’t dramatically change, though am sure Miflex will get more refined with time. But it makes me wonder whether you will prefer just the silver Duelund bypass caps with it, and whether they bring the detail back closer to the ODAM with copper+silver bypass. I have Duelund copper bypass caps on my preamp Odams and Miflex (separate outputs). Have always been curious what silver bypass caps would do on those Miflex.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #58 on: 22 Mar 2022, 10:16 pm »
Thanks all!  The funny thing is I don't really feel any different than when I was younger.   Hope that keeps up for a while longer :)
Yeah, the inability to discern differences is a symptom of impending old age.  Soon you'll begin to imagine that you can still hear overtones and spaciousness.  It's sad.  Inevitable, but sad.   I remember that period of transition well.... I think.

Tyson

« Reply #59 on: 22 Mar 2022, 10:44 pm »
Yeah, the inability to discern differences is a symptom of impending old age.  Soon you'll begin to imagine that you can still hear overtones and spaciousness.  It's sad.  Inevitable, but sad.   I remember that period of transition well.... I think.

What did you say?  I can't hear you!   :dunno: