The Holo Audio May KTE DAC and Serene KTE Preamp

Housteau

The Holo Audio May KTE DAC and Serene KTE Preamp
« on: 18 Dec 2021, 11:28 pm »
I have been a member here for a number of years but have never felt the need to do an equipment evaluation, or review until now.  It will be my first so please allow me some latitude if I miss checking all the boxes.  This is more about my first initial impressions rather than a full proper review.  If you are like me you may have been reading different online threads on newer equipment trends coming out of China as well as watching different YouTube channel reviews of that gear.  I was completely enthralled by the reported quality not only in sound, but also of the component selections and overall build. 

Two of those companies are Denafrips and Holo Audio.  My system DAC was an SOtM sDP-1000.  It was a combo DAC/pre that I found to be an excellent performer all around.  However, it had some age on it and with the newer technology and so many positive reviews around growing more and more impossible to ignore, I decided to take the gamble and try one of these newer digital converters.  Since mine was a combo unit I would need both a new DAC and a new preamp.  I decided to go with Holo Audio.

I think it is important to know about my listening space to place things in perspective.  I am fortunate to not only have a dedicated room, but also one designed and built just for listening to two channel music.  Over the years it has been fine tuned through the use of acoustic treatments, speaker positioning, crossover settings and  maximizing the listener room speaker interface to yield an ideal soundstage and frequency response +- 2.5 - 3dB below 200 Hz. 

I do not use a house curve and find that a near flat response to sound the most natural with acoustic music.  Although I listen to different types of music I believe that natural acoustic music to be the best guide in setting up a system.

When asked what is it that I value most in an audio presentation my answer is easy.  I value everything and I want it all.  But, if I had to pick one thing it would be that virtual soundstage the system creates.  Instruments and voices should be true to scale within that illusion.  There needs to be a total envelopment of the listener by the music where the speakers completely disappear.  At no time should I be aware that I am listening to speakers at all.  As large and imposing as my speakers look, they are not present when the music begins.

The May DAC arrived by UPS and I could go on with how well built this thing is, but until you have the chance to handle one yourself, you will still not truly understand.  The Serene preamp was late and did not come in until the next day so I needed to run the May through a balanced in on my old SOtM DAC. 

At first listen it sounded good, but not great, at least not to what I was lead to understand by the reviews.  However, I had made a rookie mistake.  I had bought the May used and so I knew it to be fully burned in and thought that leaving it in standby would be enough to get it warmed up, but I was wrong.  I guess being a ladder DAC it takes a while for all those resistors to come up to the right temperature.  After about 30 - 45 minutes my whole world began to change and change quickly.

I would not say that the tonal character was analytical, nor overly warm and smooth either.  All I can think of to say is that it just simply sounded right.  It sounded real.  Speakers that had always done a disappearing act now really disappeared.  Instruments and voices now had a more precise location within the soundstage with details previously missed with the SOtM.  The air and illusion of space in width and depth had increased.  The old analogy of now looking through a nice clean window opposed to one with a few streaks on it applies.  I was brought closer to the music than I had ever been.  I don't know what else to say really.  I mean how does one describe the sound of a live stand-up bass being played in front of you?  It just simply is.

I spent many hours that day listening to a wide variety of music that I knew well.  I was truly amazed at what I was hearing, because I had already been very pleased with how the system had sounded before with digital.  I thought in some circumstances and recordings it even came very close to some of my master tape copies.  I was expecting a nice change, but not to this extent.  The Serene preamp was due to come in the following day.  I knew it would go well with the May DAC, but what about my analog sources, LP and Tape?

The Serene showed up early the next morning by FedEx.  This unit is built like a tank as well.  I connected it to my system and took it out of stand-by.  This time having learned my lesson, I allowed it to properly warm up for about 45 minutes.  I also purchased this unit second hand and so it was fully burned in.  I listened to the May first and what I heard were all the fine attributes I and other reviewers had described.  The difference was that I heard more of them.  For the speakers that had always disappeared, now they really, really disappeared.  Forgive me here, but I need to paraphrase what another reviewer mentioned on YouTube.  If before was like viewing the music through a clean window, with the Serene there is no window glass there at all.  You now have a direct connection to what you are listening to.

I was very pleased to find that it was the same experience with LPs and Tape.  There was a much clearer presentation with more detail being allowed through.  There was also a small improvement in the bass from all three sources.  It must be that with more detail present the bass was being better defined.  I really don't know.  It is interesting to note that both the May Dac and Serene Preamp not only measure well, according to those that did measure them, but extremely well to the point that they may be among the best so far, if not the best.  These units are direct marketed from China which allows their cost to be low. 

At $5600 the May Dac is not exactly chump change, but it also is not 10 - 20K either.  I have not heard a DCS or MSB DAC in my system, although I have heard them at other locations.  I am comfortable believing that this Holo Audio May KTE can play in their league.  I am not sure how to place the Serene since I have never experienced a Preamp quite like it before.  I would be comfortable placing it head to head against the best out there and see what happens.  At this level the lines are thin.   What I can say for certain is that I am very pleased with my gamble on Holo Audio.

« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2021, 07:19 am by Housteau »

Cappy

Re: The Holo Audio May KTE DAC and Serene KTE Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2021, 05:27 am »
Excellent review, and very cool system.  Thanks!

sumoking

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2021, 07:15 am »
Very Difficult to get the company to return an email and they have no number published.  If someone has an in to them, please let me know.
Thank you.

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2021, 07:41 am »
The US distributor is a husband and wife operation who are swamped with orders and e-mails so if you expect immediate response it's not going to happen.  What do you need to know that's not already been talked about on multiple forums?

Housteau

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2021, 04:17 pm »
Excellent review, and very cool system.  Thanks!

Thank you. 

Housteau

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2021, 04:23 pm »
I was able to get through to the distributer a few weeks ago by email.  The response came the next day and was quite lengthy and detailed to my questions.  If they take that kind of time to answer all emails I can see how they could get swamped.  I read somewhere on another forum about an individual having trouble trying to contact them.  Someone replied saying that another option that worked for him was to go through Customer Service.

sumoking

« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2021, 04:27 pm »
The US distributor is a husband and wife operation who are swamped with orders and e-mails so if you expect immediate response it's not going to happen.  What do you need to know that's not already been talked about on multiple forums?

No email response in 4 weeks after sending 2 emails… and no number to call.
These are expensive products they can’t be that busy. This doesn’t inspire confidence. What happen if you have a problem?
This isn’t a couple hundred dollar dac/preamp gamble you try on other inexpensive Chinese products.

Basic question, what does the KTE dac iii sound like with the preamp module in it? How close to the separate approach does it get?

JackD

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2021, 05:14 pm »
There are several users of the Spring 3 with the preamp mod on AS you might want to ask there but it will not be the same as using Serene or other separate preamp with it's own power supply.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2021, 05:25 pm »
Thank you for posting your review.  :thumb:

I must admit to being curious about how the newest May KTE DAC sounds, and <hopefully> I'll someday get a chance to hear one in my system. I wonder how it compares to my DAC.

I hadn't realized that Holo Audio produces a preamp. Now I'm curious how it sounds, too!

Enjoy!

Michael

newzooreview

« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2021, 05:40 pm »
No email response in 4 weeks after sending 2 emails… and no number to call.
These are expensive products they can’t be that busy. This doesn’t inspire confidence. What happen if you have a problem?
This isn’t a couple hundred dollar dac/preamp gamble you try on other inexpensive Chinese products.

Basic question, what does the KTE dac iii sound like with the preamp module in it? How close to the separate approach does it get?

GoldenSound posted an excellent review comparing the Holo Spring III to the Holo May. His Holo May DAC reviews are also well worth the time as a prelude to the Spring III comparison. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhf9GpGC55w

Regarding responsiveness from Kitsune HiFi, the US distributor for Holo products, I can only report my experience. Tim Connor, whom I've only contacted via the Kitsune website as a random potential customer, has been very helpful and fielded questions well beyond Holo product support. I would have to believe that Kitsune is swamped, and he's overlooked an e-mail or two. Looking at my last e-mails with him in July, he replied from "Tim Connor (Kitsunehifi)" <support@kitsunehifi.com>

You could give that e-mail a try if you are not too frustrated at this point.

I've had the Holo May KTE DAC and Serene preamp for almost six months now, and they are superb. The DAC does have a long break-in, and it really does sound best if left on 24/7 (same with other ladder DACs like the Schiit Yggdrasil that I had in its first iteration).

Excellent review write up!

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2021, 05:43 pm »
Appreciate the review. I have an excellent SW1X Level 3 Special NOS tube dac. Love it. However, curiosity got me too and picked up a used Denafrips Terminator v1. I was going back and forth between the Terminator and Holo Audio. I went with the Terminator because what I had read/heard in reviews was that the Terminator excelled in detail and imaging while the Holo had a smoother presentation. I figured both would be great to try but since my SW1X is smooth and detailed I decided to go with the Terminator for now. So far, I'm very impressed. Detail retrieval and imaging is excellent. I haven't spent a lot of time with it, however in my system, I have both DACs active and can change inputs on my preamp to A/B them. The Terminator is hooked up via AES/EBU and the SW1X is using coax, so not 100% apples to apples. Yesterday I spent a few minutes A/B'ing between dacs listening to parts of the same song. Its a very close comparison but there are some differences. I haven't spent enough time to articulate, but both dacs sound amazing. Keep in mind, the SW1X Level 3 Special now costs over $9000 USD and I got the Terminator for $2800. I've also had in my system a Berkeley Alpha Reference 1 MQA, PS Audio Directstream and a Directstream Jr, Lampizator Atlantic SE+ (not TRP), and Exogal Comet+. All superb dacs for their own reasons, but this Terminator is different in it's own way. Looking forward to spending more time with it.

I'd love to hear a Holo Audio Dac too. Audio GD also has some interesting Dacs with regenerative power supply. I think my point is don't always conflate products made in China to be of poor quality. There are some amazing values and extremely high quality products. I love bespoke products like my Sachs preamp, Alan Eaton 45 amp, and SW1X dac, Van Alstine amp, and Cube Audio speakers and I will probably never sell them if I don't have to simply because to me they are the result of someones love of the product and I truly appreciate the craftsmanship and uniqueness of each one. However, I also see that passion in products from China. Just be smart and buy through proper dealers. Now is an amazing time to be an audiophile.

sumoking

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2021, 06:05 pm »
Well said. Agreed.

Housteau

« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2021, 08:13 pm »
However, curiosity got me too and picked up a used Denafrips Terminator v1. I was going back and forth between the Terminator and Holo Audio.

I very nearly bought a Terminator 1 with the newer digital card that brought it close to the Terminator 2 status.  I was going to match it up with the Athena preamp.  My reasons were that they seemed more available on the used market and the prices were right.  I am sure that I would have enjoyed them as well.  However, I did decide to hold out for the Holo Audio.  I was monitoring several sites, US Audiomart, Audiogon, Ebay and HiFi Shark continuously.  You have to be quick.  A May went up on US Audiomart and sold within 1.5 minutes.  I had missed that one by 30 seconds.  That one hurt because I found out that it was located an hour away from where I live.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2021, 07:41 pm »
That one hurt because I found out that it was located an hour away from where I live.

Ouch, always nice to find that local seller. Sounds like it has worked out.

Onadifferentnote

« Reply #14 on: 22 Dec 2021, 11:20 pm »
There are several users of the Spring 3 with the preamp mod on AS you might want to ask there but it will not be the same as using Serene or other separate preamp with it's own power supply.

What is AS?
Audio Science?
Thanks.

genjamon

« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2021, 11:41 pm »
More likely it’s AudiophileStyle. Audiosciencereview typically goes by ASR abbreviation.

Housteau

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jan 2022, 06:00 pm »
I wanted to add a small update on my time spent with Holo Audio.  I continue to be very impressed.  I have read and watched different reviews that compare the Denafrips Terminator series with the Holo Audio May dac,  They are both are very well liked with slight differences.  In general they describe the Terminators as being better at retrieving more info with a more upfront soundstage and the May as being more dimensional with the soundstage more in the background.  I have not had the chance to have any of the Denafrips dacs in my system and so I cannot describe their sound, although I have little doubt that they would also impress.  But, I can describe the Holo May in more detail after living with it for a while.

In my system the May is indeed extremely holographic and dimensional in presenting the soundstage in both width and depth.  However, it is not placed more in the background.  It does reach deeper back, but it also extends more forward an equal amount creating a fully three dimensional image when the recording calls for it, and I find that most good ones do.  One of the aspects that I enjoy the most is how that layering is often also present at nearly the extreme edges of the soundstage beyond the outside of the speakers.  A lot of what can happen outside of the speakers is tied to what the speakers are capable of.  In my room the speakers are 8.5 ft apart and 6 ft from each side wall with the listening seat on an equilateral triangle.  The image can not only extend to the side walls, but also follow those walls back toward the listener in an arch.

The Holo Spring dac is often described as being very smooth.  I do not find the May dac that way at all.  It definitely has an edge and bite when called for.  It doesn't round off those leading edges.  It just presents them as real music often is, quick, sharp and attention grabbing.  It is not harsh but can ride that edge just right creating that proper balance keeping it from being considered as laid back.  As far as information goes, I find it has very good retrieval striking the right balance that draws one into the music keeping it away from being analytical and artificial sounding.

2Bad

« Reply #17 on: 12 Feb 2022, 11:52 pm »
The Holo Audio DAC and preamp are both on my shortlist... thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.  :thumb:

Cheers!
- Bill -

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 13 Feb 2022, 12:05 am »
I heard the Holo May at my friend's house.  That thing is no joke, it's a great DAC.

Markwatkiss

« Reply #19 on: 13 Feb 2022, 12:20 am »
Very informative thread and meaningful contributions from all.In the market for an end game DAC at a realistic price point so the contributions and continuing dialogue are appreciated.