My high gloss white mini speaker build

ScottMoonShot

Re: My high gloss white mini speaker build
« Reply #20 on: 22 Sep 2021, 04:25 pm »

Sprayed final coat of Spray Max 2K. I did a better job this time by slowing down, cooler temp, applying a thicker coat. More smooth result, some areas had very little orang peal. Most of it looks like this.

Now final sanding out the orange peal and polishing.

ScottMoonShot

« Reply #21 on: 6 Oct 2021, 02:50 am »

Speakers complete! I surprised my daughter with them for her birthday, she really loved them, especially the tweety bird.

These sound great! Better than I expected for the size. They shamed my B&W 602 speakers especially in the upper end. Crazy results, good design and quality parts matter?

My final thoughts-
Paint is hard! Lots of work, lots of room for mistakes. I learned a lot and would do better faster next time. They turned out great with a few imperfections but very happy with the results. My perfectionism wants to do better but that's my problem.

Take aways-
Mixing different paints is not as risky as many want you to believe. I used many very different sealer and paint with no compatibility issues. Make sure each type is fully dry and sand before next application. Fully dry!

This was my first speaker kit and I really am a fan now! I was surprised and impressed by the sound. This gives me confidence in purchasing my next kit, maybe the XLS Encore? I think I'll tackle a veneer this time

I am also very intrigued by open baffle speakers. I heard rumors of a new open baffle speaker Danny is working on? Something bigger than the NX studios? Smaller than the big arrays? Any more hints of what your working on Danny?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 6 Oct 2021, 03:53 am »
Really nice job, those look really chic.  And the gift of great sound!

ScottMoonShot

« Reply #23 on: 7 Oct 2021, 01:57 am »
Really nice job, those look really chic.  And the gift of great sound!

Thank you!

My daughter was very surprised. She secretly wished for these speakers while seeing me build them. Little did she know they were always for her.

AlexH

« Reply #24 on: 7 Oct 2021, 11:59 am »
Very nice job. And a very nice present.

Killian Smith

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 9 Oct 2021, 05:51 pm »
one of the cleanest paint finishes I've seen yet! Congrats! Looks great.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #26 on: 10 Oct 2021, 03:20 pm »

My final thoughts-
Paint is hard! Lots of work, lots of room for mistakes. I learned a lot and would do better faster next time. They turned out great with a few imperfections but very happy with the results. My perfectionism wants to do better but that's my problem.

The joy of learning to paint is always being able to improve with practice.

Also for anyone reading this looking for tips, automotive materials work great for painting MDF and are usually a major step up in quality compared to the hardware store options. For the question on waterborne paint compatability, the shops still use urethane primers, sealers and clearcoats, so as long as you follow the TDS there should be no issues.

On a related note, those Spraymax cans work awesome, don't they? I've found they really are a great shortcut for people to jump into getting excellent results who don't have access to spray guns or years of experience. Just make sure you're wearing your safety equipment cause that stuff will kill you.

All in all those speakers turned out fantastic.  Pat yourself on the back. :thumb:
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2021, 01:54 pm by nlitworld »

ScottMoonShot

« Reply #27 on: 11 Oct 2021, 01:34 am »
one of the cleanest paint finishes I've seen yet! Congrats! Looks great.

Hey thanks!

ScottMoonShot

« Reply #28 on: 11 Oct 2021, 01:36 am »
The joy of learning to paint is always being able to improve with practice.

Also for anyone reading this looking for tips, automotive materials work great for painting MDF and are usually a major step up in quality compared to the hardware store options. For the quewtion on waterborne paint compatability, the shops still use urethane peimers, sealers and clearcoats, so as long as you follow the TDS there should be no issues.

On a related note, those Spraymax cans work awesome, don't they? I've found they really are a great shortcut for people to jump into getting excellent results who don't have access to spray guns or years of experience. Just make sure you're wearing your safety equipment cause that stuff will kill you.

All in all those speakers turned out fantastic.  Pat yourself on the back. :thumb:

Wow thank you!

morganc

« Reply #29 on: 11 Oct 2021, 03:01 am »
Beautiful Work!

ScottMoonShot

« Reply #30 on: 12 Oct 2021, 09:09 pm »