Serial Connected Crossover

77SunsetStrip

Serial Connected Crossover
« on: 16 Jan 2021, 05:03 pm »
Stumbled upon discussion of Serial Connected Crossovers in Fritz loudspeakers.  Just for fun played with a serial design in X-SIM software.  Used Vifa tweeter and Peerless woofer 2-way configuration.  X-SIM produced a surprisingly flat frequency response.  I know that result is only a starting point, but the best parallel network with those drivers is not even close.  Is a Serial Connected Crossover too good to be true?  What are the pitfalls?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: Serial Connected Crossover
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2021, 08:51 pm »
Just like anything hifi everything is a compromise.

Sometimes series XOs work (really well), but given the interactions of all the components they become more & more difficult to design. The interaction also means that the XO tracks differences in the drivers as they heat up and cool down

A parallel XO is simplier and usually easier to do, as interactions of the driver to the XO are limited (mostly) to just the driver and the components in its leg of the XO, especiially at higher orders.

I am fond of series XO (althou i often avoid them altogether). I have yet to draw or build but i have the drivers almost done to try this.

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2021, 12:50 am »
Would be useful if drivers manufacturers help in this case doing 1 ohm drivers what are unlikely, as the Bose 901 midrange.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2021, 05:49 pm »
Stumbled upon discussion of Serial Connected Crossovers in Fritz loudspeakers.  Just for fun played with a serial design in X-SIM software.  Used Vifa tweeter and Peerless woofer 2-way configuration.  X-SIM produced a surprisingly flat frequency response.  I know that result is only a starting point, but the best parallel network with those drivers is not even close.  Is a Serial Connected Crossover too good to be true?  What are the pitfalls?

There are applications where they work well and often they are used in ways that do not work out real well. I've designed them for some models that worked out really well. And they can be used more easily at low crossover points.

I have designed new crossovers for the Fritz carbon 7SE. So I have measurements on the series crossover as well as what I designed to replace it. Let's just say that particular series network didn't work out real well in that application.

77SunsetStrip

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2021, 11:59 pm »
Finally found a couple detailed explanations of Series vs Parallel crossovers.  Not for the faint of heart.  Just started following speaker upgrades by Danny.  It is quite surprising, even at times shocking, how brand names really put cheap parts in their crossovers.  I know economics play a role.  Wonder if they count on most buyers having no understanding of what a crossover does?