IRD Purist Preamplifier info needed

Lionell

« on: 29 Oct 2020, 07:28 pm »
Hello all,
                       My name is Lionell and I am a relatively new audiophile, ex-amateur sound engineer, and ex-musician.

I recently purchased an old IRD Purist Preamplifier and I was hoping I might find someone here that may have a manual or just more spec specific  information regarding this old preamp.

Thanks in advance!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: IRD Purist Preamplifier info needed
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2020, 12:52 am »
Welcome
Never late to be an audiophile.
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2020, 05:34 am by FullRangeMan »

HT cOz

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2020, 02:05 am »
Lionell  that’s a great unit for a pre amp. I hope you enjoy it a lot.

JCarney

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2020, 02:45 am »
I owned one for several years, and it is one of those pieces I wish I had kept. Just a really good pre, and built like a tank. The links might have some info you seek. Enjoy, and hope this helps.

JCarney

https://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/ird_llc_p_e.html
https://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/ird_llcp_rev_e.html

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2020, 12:01 pm »
Welcome!

Lionell

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2020, 05:45 pm »
FullRangeMan, HT cOz, Phil A, thank you all for the worm welcome! I look forward to finally being able to talk to others about this addictive hobby!

JCarney, and thank you for the links! Much appreciated!

I’m really just looking for confirmation about just which  version of the unit I have. And the input voltage value would also be helpful.

I’m having that issue with the unit were I can’t turn the unit up more than 1 or 2 clicks before starting achieving some really high volumes.

But I know I have a hot source with my Chord 2Qute at 3V.

My power amplifier has a high input gain and my speakers are 98dB sensitivity as well so I know just why I might be having the volume control issue.

But I’m really enjoying the sound of the IRD Purist so I’m in search of some ways to possibly improve the volume control.

Thanks again to you all!

« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2020, 01:23 am by Lionell »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2020, 06:21 pm »
What amplifier?
Do you have any way to control the volume before the 2Qute (3v out)?
Do you have more than one source?

HT cOz

« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2020, 08:31 pm »

Jon L

« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2020, 11:14 pm »

But I know I have a hot source with my Chord 2Qute at 3mV.

My power amplifier has a high input gain and my speakers are 98dB sensitivity as well so I know just why I might be having the volume control issue.

This is a blessing actually because your system is perfect for driving direct from DAC without any preamp.
I've used IRD Purist in past, and while a very good sounding preamp, especially after some tube rolling, it still takes away from transparency of the signal.

What I would do is sell the IRD Purist and 2Qute and buy a used Chord Qutest DAC (which I love), which will be a significant step up from 2Qute while also offering variable output settings at 1, 2, 3 V.   :thumb:

Lionell

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2020, 11:43 pm »
Hi opnly bafld,
I’m running this setup with a 30W Dayens Ampino stereo power amplifier. With a Icon Audio BA3 Tube Buffer Preamp between the IRD Purist and the power amplifier. Neither of which have volume or gain control  unfortunately.

CD player & computers all run through the 2Qute. And I’m also playing vinyl but I’m still waiting on a new phono preamp to arrive at the moment for this setup.

HT cOz,
i’ve been seeing those RCA attenuators as a possible option I’m just unsure of how it will affect sound, dynamics, and soundstage.

I really like the current sound I’m getting and I feel a little skittish about adding one more thing to the chain.

But this does in fact appear to be the most  convenient option.  so I will likely pull the trigger on a pair of RCA attenuators for convenience sake and give them a try. Thanks!

Lionell

« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2020, 12:04 am »
Jon L,
I would love to move up to the Chord Qutest DAC for the variable voltage settings alone.

But I’m also running multiple sources analog and digital to my preamplifier. so I do need the convenience of a line stage as well.  thanks!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 31 Oct 2020, 01:29 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Lionell   :thumb:

Lionell

« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2020, 04:11 pm »
Thank you for the warm welcome ArthurDent!!!   

jlupine

« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2020, 11:58 pm »
Welcome Lionell,

As you may be able to see in the TNT reviews, the original model had the gain labeled "6 dB", "9.5 dB", and "12 dB".  The revised version had a "GAIN" header and then settings labeled "1", "2", and "3",
corresponding to gains of 0 dB, 6 dB, and 9.5 dB.  These would match the values of the modification described in the first review.

I bought mine from IRD, and there was no manual.  Before the IRD website disappeared, I printed the specifications, and I'll send you an image. 

My IRD replaced Don Morrison's two-input, two-chassis ELAD, which used the same AD797 opamp that Curt used for the LLC-P.

Lionell

« Reply #14 on: 2 Nov 2020, 10:40 pm »
jlupine, thank you thank you thank you!!!!

I really appreciate this information you sent my way.

And I’ll look forward to any specifications info you may be able to share!

From everything you’re telling me I have the same version that you have as well!

Best regards
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2020, 01:17 am by Lionell »