Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

GregC

Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #520 on: 6 Jun 2022, 10:04 pm »
Will the updated streaming software support LMS (at least the client part)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #521 on: 6 Jun 2022, 10:47 pm »
Hi James and Dave,

Here is the video review that just went live on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEvn-zjgu7A

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #522 on: 24 Jun 2022, 08:01 am »
James,

is it now possible to order the BR20 ''customer-based'' (with or without the dac/hdmi/digital player functions)?

if yes, what are the prices??

thanks,

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #523 on: 24 Jun 2022, 10:16 am »
James,

is it now possible to order the BR20 ''customer-based'' (with or without the dac/hdmi/digital player functions)?

if yes, what are the prices??

thanks,

al.

Hi Al,

The BR20 options are Phono and HDMI.  The prices would vary depending on the country.

james

spartana

« Reply #524 on: 3 Jul 2022, 06:17 pm »
Hi,
Is the display in a BR20 or other gear like the BCD3 something to worry about on the long run? I somehow always fear the display in modern devices is a kind of "predetermined breaking point" whereas the rest of the device seems pretty solid. On the other hand I see a lot of older cd players sold pre-owned with intact displays.

Any experiences here?
Thanks for your thoughts,

Holger

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #525 on: 3 Jul 2022, 06:33 pm »
Hi,
Is the display in a BR20 or other gear like the BCD3 something to worry about on the long run? I somehow always fear the display in modern devices is a kind of "predetermined breaking point" whereas the rest of the device seems pretty solid. On the other hand I see a lot of older cd players sold pre-owned with intact displays.

Any experiences here?
Thanks for your thoughts,

Holger

Hi Holger, I believe display is $100 and cd drive $600.So far, there was one member, his display gave up, but it was fixed under warranty.I turn mine off sometimes, Just press #0 and display is off.

spartana

« Reply #526 on: 3 Jul 2022, 08:49 pm »
Hi Mariusz, thanks. Do you switch off the display on the BR20 with that combination? Or the BCD3? I never read that in the manual. That is why I ask.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #527 on: 3 Jul 2022, 09:06 pm »
Hi Mariusz, thanks. Do you switch off the display on the BR20 with that combination? Or the BCD3? I never read that in the manual. That is why I ask.

Hi Holger, I have BP-17³ for preamp.I have no interest in streaming or HDMI connections in my system.But, I wonder if it will work, if you try it?Please, let us know.

Nothing about it in manual.I found out the hard way, right after I hooked it up, I try to play track #10 and instead pressed only #0 and the display went blank.My heart stopped for few seconds, eyes went "wet"...Honestly I don't remember, how I fixed, but I cursed #10 to this day, ha ha.Oh, I think I have called Mike or Adam at Bryston?

avsrb

« Reply #528 on: 18 Jul 2022, 11:32 am »
Dear all,

After reading the BR20's manual and many online resources (incl. this very thread), I am still not sure if/how I could integrate a BR20 into my double-duty movie/music (70/30) setup, e.g.:

TV ----> AVR --FL/FR preouts--> BR20 an. inputs with HT bypass--> power amp --> FL/FR speakers
                                             --> remaining speakers driven by AVR internal amps

Can the trigger input power on the BR20 AND select/activate one of its inputs?

The goal would be to use a 12V trigger output from the AVR (which powers on automatically e.g. with the TV thanks to HDMI eARC/CEC) to power on the BR20 on the HT bypassed analogue input, thus removing the need to use multiple remotes e.g. for watching a movie.

I own and appreciate multiple Bryston products, and having such an integration option would make the BR20 even more tempting...

PS: Another relevant use-case could be when one prefers/has another streaming source (one that supports Tidal Connect, is app-controlled instead of web-controller, etc.) that has a 12V trigger output, thus transforming the (BR20+external streamer) into a very user-friendly app-controlled "streaming preamplifier" (please note that the focus here would be the control/interaction method, not the sound quality). I remember James asking for feedback about offering the streaming portion of the BR20 as an option alongside the MM and HDMI ones; this could prove very useful in such a case.

Thanks,
Alex

Clive197

« Reply #529 on: 18 Jul 2022, 04:07 pm »
Hi guys. Just wondering if anybody at Bryston is mucking about with Manic Moose.? I can no longer get Artist view to work, thumbnails aren’t working and I can no longer get album info.

bokko

« Reply #530 on: 20 Jul 2022, 12:01 am »
Good Day Alex:

I have successfully been using a Marantz 7012 (two triggers) with the BR-20 on the second set of RCA inputs. You need to enter the HTB mode once, then when you choose that input BR-20 remembers setting.
One sub is connected to second pair of XLR outputs, first pair is connected to 5B ST. (important that both outputs (L+R) are connected don't use just one output on BR-20).
I used a SPL meter from Radio Shack to set levels on 7012 and BR-20 in HTB. Levels stay constant for front L+R channel. How does is sound well amazing. Reviewers are much more eloquent in their descriptions and they aren't wrong. The 7012 powers my 4 Dolby Atmos speakers. Its important to know Atmos speakers have even a more limited frequency range so you really don't need bryston amps powering that (I tested with 5 channel old Rotel I had and no difference)

My point of reference I had a BDA 3 via a Lumin U1 mini connected to the 7012 with a 3Bsst2 on pre outs (at time) and felt it was missing something in stereo (Have Paradigm Studio 100 v3). When compared to a friend with a BDA2 with similar Paradigm speakers (monitor 11 v3). Outlaw preamp with bryston 6b sst2. Boy was I right the moment I heard BR-20 in stereo with my gear was looking to make sure the surround gear wasn't on. Dogs are finnally not looking around room anymore when listening to well recorded music. Took Bryston some time to sort out HTB which left me grumpy, but since resolved so happy with purchase.
The BR-20 triggers my 5Bst and the sub connected to it. The 7012 triggers another power amp for rear channels and the 2nd sub. Living in Ontario always mindful of hydro use.

Getting rid of hum was a chore and wound up rewiring a dedicated 15 amp plug to 20 amp (Wire, Breaker and plug) then got creative with a Power Conditioner with two generic power bars like you find in labs (no breakers). Last bit of hum was actually a Lutron dimmer that was rated for LED being replaced with a switch. The last bit of hum on Rega turntable was resolved when connected to smart power bar from APC (removed manual ground wire) (both plugs and USB ports can be turned on and off remotely). That feed cooling fans on 7012 and 5B ST for louder listening sessions. The 7012 gets just as warm with speakers connected as not so hope to replace with a Home Theater pre amp someday when it gives up ghost. Have had people drop-by that have spent 4 5 times what I have and they are impressed with sound I have for a 1/3 of price or less.

By no means a rich person with limitless budget

Thanks Bryston and Brian Russell (RIP) who had this idea.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #531 on: 20 Jul 2022, 04:00 pm »
Hi guys. Just wondering if anybody at Bryston is mucking about with Manic Moose.? I can no longer get Artist view to work, thumbnails aren’t working and I can no longer get album info.

They’re concentrating their efforts on a new OS, so I highly doubt it.
Email Chris@bryston if you need help. He’s the expert. ( crice@bryston.com)

avsrb

« Reply #532 on: 20 Jul 2022, 07:48 pm »
Good Day Alex:

I have successfully been using a Marantz 7012 (two triggers) with the BR-20 on the second set of RCA inputs. You need to enter the HTB mode once, then when you choose that input BR-20 remembers setting.
One sub is connected to second pair of XLR outputs, first pair is connected to 5B ST. (important that both outputs (L+R) are connected don't use just one output on BR-20).
I used a SPL meter from Radio Shack to set levels on 7012 and BR-20 in HTB. Levels stay constant for front L+R channel. How does is sound well amazing. Reviewers are much more eloquent in their descriptions and they aren't wrong. The 7012 powers my 4 Dolby Atmos speakers. Its important to know Atmos speakers have even a more limited frequency range so you really don't need bryston amps powering that (I tested with 5 channel old Rotel I had and no difference)

My point of reference I had a BDA 3 via a Lumin U1 mini connected to the 7012 with a 3Bsst2 on pre outs (at time) and felt it was missing something in stereo (Have Paradigm Studio 100 v3). When compared to a friend with a BDA2 with similar Paradigm speakers (monitor 11 v3). Outlaw preamp with bryston 6b sst2. Boy was I right the moment I heard BR-20 in stereo with my gear was looking to make sure the surround gear wasn't on. Dogs are finnally not looking around room anymore when listening to well recorded music. Took Bryston some time to sort out HTB which left me grumpy, but since resolved so happy with purchase.
The BR-20 triggers my 5Bst and the sub connected to it. The 7012 triggers another power amp for rear channels and the 2nd sub. Living in Ontario always mindful of hydro use.

Getting rid of hum was a chore and wound up rewiring a dedicated 15 amp plug to 20 amp (Wire, Breaker and plug) then got creative with a Power Conditioner with two generic power bars like you find in labs (no breakers). Last bit of hum was actually a Lutron dimmer that was rated for LED being replaced with a switch. The last bit of hum on Rega turntable was resolved when connected to smart power bar from APC (removed manual ground wire) (both plugs and USB ports can be turned on and off remotely). That feed cooling fans on 7012 and 5B ST for louder listening sessions. The 7012 gets just as warm with speakers connected as not so hope to replace with a Home Theater pre amp someday when it gives up ghost. Have had people drop-by that have spent 4 5 times what I have and they are impressed with sound I have for a 1/3 of price or less.

By no means a rich person with limitless budget

Thanks Bryston and Brian Russell (RIP) who had this idea.

Hi bokko,

Thank you for the detailed description of your setup! Picked up a few good tips and ideas therefrom.

How are you selecting the "second set of RCA inputs" on the BR20 when playing through the Marantz 7012? Manually or somehow automatically (Harmony/etc.)?
Or is the BR20 just powering up on the last used input, whichever that might be (in your case the "second set of RCA inputs")?

Alex

bokko

« Reply #533 on: 22 Jul 2022, 11:10 am »
Alex that part I do manually use Bryston remote to select RCA 2.

Then Apple tv remote turns on TV and 7012 automatically. Which is funny as I have HDMI CEC turned off on 7012 and TV yet it works.

https://www.apc.com/us/en/product/PH6U4X32/apc-home-office-surgearrest-6-outlets-3-smart-outlets-with-4-usb-ports-2-smart-ports-120v/ interesting this allowed my Rega TT to no longer need turntable grounding. My phono pre is Gold Note PH-10 with PSU-10. I bought this to turn off turntable and its light as well as cooling fans on 5B as required using Alexa. The last bit of ground noise gone was a bonus. Also have an old Technics connected to PH-10 so know it was Rega why those guys can't ground like everyone else I don't know. Definately wouldn't buy Rega again.

https://www.amazon.ca/Iot-Relay-Enclosed-High-power-Raspberry/dp/B00WV7GMA2 use this to trigger rear channel Adcom amp (paid 25 at Pi shop that didn't survive covid)

Niles now makes a triggered power bar that would be better but out of stock.

Use this to cool the 7012 https://acinfinity.com/component-cooling/component-fan-systems/aircom-t10-receiver-and-av-component-cooling-fan-system-front-exhaust-17/ also connected to APC otherwise the fans can turn on due to heat generated by 5B when listening levels get LOUD.

Jerry

spartana

« Reply #534 on: 3 Aug 2022, 08:03 pm »
Hi Folks quick question on the BR-20.

We are having issues getting HDMI boards and Pi computers (used for streaming in the BR-20).

HDMI has always been an Option on the Br-20 and less than 5% of our customers order HDMI.

What if we offered the Pi Streamer as an option as well as a lot of our customers have Streamers as well?

So the BR20 would have the option of a Streamer or HDMI or Phono and priced accordingly.

Thoughts?

james

Hi James,
will this idea be pursued?
Thanks,
Holger

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #535 on: 3 Aug 2022, 09:06 pm »

Hi James,
will this idea be pursued?
Thanks,
Holger

Engineering tells me this would be difficult.

james

GregC

« Reply #536 on: 3 Aug 2022, 11:04 pm »
Having the Pi streamer is a good option minus the current challenge where there is a shortage of available parts.

spartana

« Reply #537 on: 4 Aug 2022, 08:23 am »
BR-20 Remote Code Resetting

Push and HOLD the CODE button for 5 FULL seconds. When the white LED starts to blink let go of code and then quickly and firmly push D7, D9, D5 in that order.
You should see the white LED blink twice to say it has accepted the code.

I had to do this after replacing the batteries.  Worked fine afterwards.

Cheers
Drew

Going through all BR-20 related posts I strumbled across this one. This might fix the issue I have with my remote. Wouldn't it make sense to collect such hints somewhere in a FAQ on the Bryston homepage? Not everone will re-read the audiocircle posts of 2 years.

spartana

« Reply #538 on: 4 Aug 2022, 08:30 am »
Hi Folks, one of the design features of the BR-20 is the 'modular' construction. This allows the customer to change circuit boards as the technology changes over time.

Here is a picture of the internal circuits boards in our new BR-20.

James, another interesting statement I just found some minutes ago: is this idea something that will be followed up by your product engineering? I would love to participate jn future enhancements, especially in the digital section. e.g. Bryston developping a new BDA 4 in the future. In such case I would love to get an upgrade offered for a replacement of the current BDA3 based digital section to the new one.

I read statememts about modular approaches 'for future upgrades' in various magazines for different products of other brands over the last years. It was NEVER true in the end. After some time the brands launched new products instead and the older 'upgradable' ones never saw the upgrades. So it always remained a theoretical thing or a sales pitch rather than a design principle.

I would love to read Bryston's thought on this.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #539 on: 4 Aug 2022, 12:08 pm »
Going through all BR-20 related posts I strumbled across this one. This might fix the issue I have with my remote. Wouldn't it make sense to collect such hints somewhere in a FAQ on the Bryston homepage? Not everone will re-read the audiocircle posts of 2 years.

Hi - yes that makes a lot of sense - I will mention it to our webmaster.

james