Hobbs NX-Studio Build

Captainhemo

Re: Hobbs NX-Studio Build
« Reply #80 on: 4 Dec 2020, 05:27 pm »
I can't recall  what  you're using Hobs but,  have  you  tried this  ?
https://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Super-Soft-2-Veneer-Softener-Conditioner.html

Works  great

jay

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #81 on: 4 Dec 2020, 05:49 pm »
Thats exactly what I'm using, but quilted maple is proving to be difficult to work with.

AlexH

« Reply #82 on: 5 Dec 2020, 01:14 am »
I have in the past, sprayed wavy veneer with super soft the night before applying. Then give it a spritz with super soft just before applying it to the substrate the next morning. This was done using Veneer Supplies Heat Lock glue, and it has come out flat and is still in place to this day. I just started in the middle of the panel and worked out to the edges. You do take a chance though of the veneer splitting when being force flat with the glue and a hot iron. If it does not work it is hell trying to get the veneer back off, just to warn you.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #83 on: 5 Dec 2020, 01:30 am »
Yeah that's basically what I did with the first speaker.
Tho I'm not using heat lock adhesive, I'm just using their standard veneer glue which requires pressure for the first few hours, with pretty decent results, but it really takes some doing to get the veneer flat, & there's still a small bit of ripple in the middle, but its not noticable thankfully..

Pressing out the ripples really takes some doing. Checking on the veneer this evening, it's looking better, but its a slow process..

I need to find a better means of flattening than plywood 2x2 rods & clamps. But I'll get there! lol

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #84 on: 5 Dec 2020, 06:00 am »
I need to find a better means of flattening than plywood 2x2 rods & clamps. But I'll get there! lol

I know nowhere near as good as real purpose-built tools, but maybe an aluminum or steel plate instead of plywood?  Wandering down another hobby/tangent, a 45lb old school deep dish machined cast iron weight plate or a calibrated 20kg or 25kg steel weightlifting/powerlifting disc at 450mm diameter might be just big enough to do the job that might be handy to get if you don't have a lot of manufacturing or fabrication shops around where you live?  A pair of plates and some clamps could make for a nice big flat press?

vlad335

« Reply #85 on: 5 Dec 2020, 01:17 pm »

OMG. That is the best DIY speaker build I have ever seen!

You have inspired me. There is an excellent veneer place about a mile from here ( Homecraft Veneer) and I am heading over there Monday to see what i can do with my Encores which are bare MDF. I am thinking the same veneer with red dye and gloss black baffle.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #86 on: 5 Dec 2020, 02:52 pm »
OMG. That is the best DIY speaker build I have ever seen!

You have inspired me. There is an excellent veneer place about a mile from here ( Homecraft Veneer) and I am heading over there Monday to see what i can do with my Encores which are bare MDF. I am thinking the same veneer with red dye and gloss black baffle.

Thanks so much! They've still got a long ways to go, but i've finally made some good progress with the veneer and have the first side, being glued onto the 2nd speaker! Hopefully i can have both sides finished today, & work on the remaining sides here soon.  :thumb:

Nice! Quality sheets of Quilted Maple certainly arent cheap, but if my dye/tone samples are anything to say about it, 100% going to be worth it onces its done.
Getting the right "Red" was tough but, I'm excited to get these finished soon!

And I'm glad I could inspire you to do something similar with your own pair of XLS! I love my pair of XLS, but they were always meant to be a stepping stone for my Studio build, even if my original plans for the veneer was a stained walnut, with a gloss black front.

I really recommend watching Peter's video on applying veneer to his XLS kit and using heatlock glue & paper-backed veneer instead, will be a lot easier to work with, since it wont require any clamps.. :P

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #87 on: 6 Dec 2020, 05:52 pm »
Hobbs:
Use multiple  clamping cauls to evenly spread the veneer clamping pressure.
A  Caul is a simply a  slightly tapered  clamp block that redistributes the clamp pressure from the clamped edge to the center of the panel.
Google ‘clamping  cauls’  for creation and use  instructions.

If you are using an intermediate  melamine veneer pressure plate, the absolute caul quality does not matter nearly as much as for a typical full edge tabletop glue up .

Shawn
( PS wet wood and metal contact is a recipe for reaction staining  )

Mijknarf

« Reply #88 on: 6 Dec 2020, 06:43 pm »
Nice build, thanks for sharing your build progress.  I may give those a try.  How are you dealing with the veneer edge along the side where it meets the front baffle?  Will there be a sight step there?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #89 on: 7 Dec 2020, 12:23 am »
Hobbs:
Use multiple  clamping cauls to evenly spread the veneer clamping pressure.
A  Caul is a simply a  slightly tapered  clamp block that redistributes the clamp pressure from the clamped edge to the center of the panel.
Google ‘clamping  cauls’  for creation and use  instructions.

If you are using an intermediate  melamine veneer pressure plate, the absolute caul quality does not matter nearly as much as for a typical full edge tabletop glue up .

Shawn
( PS wet wood and metal contact is a recipe for reaction staining  )

Thats definitely going to be something Ill look into in the future, esp if I ever need to work with raw veneer again.. lol

Nice build, thanks for sharing your build progress.  I may give those a try.  How are you dealing with the veneer edge along the side where it meets the front baffle?  Will there be a sight step there?

Thanks! It's been a slow, but good, learning process, and there are definitely thigs I would have done better, but so long as it looks good at the end, I'll be happy. :P

For the edge, I'm planning to use some wood filler or bondo to fill in/hide the edge/step.

Digi-G

« Reply #90 on: 7 Dec 2020, 02:29 pm »
Dang, those are looking great.

You've got me reconsidering how I'm going to finish my cabinet sides (I'm doing the same build).  My original plan was a faux paint for the sides.  I'm going to do some test pieces and see how I like them.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #91 on: 8 Dec 2020, 02:58 am »
I've been making good progress on these puppies!
All the veneer is on, & the first speaker is dyed!  :thumb:

The dye is still wet, so the colors are still vibrant, it'll fade more purple/, but once I start adding the tone coats it'll come back really strong. Tomorrow I'll pick up some filler to hide the step/edge of the veneer.

Feels good to be making progress again.  :thumb:

hawkeyejw

« Reply #92 on: 8 Dec 2020, 03:46 am »
That’s purty. 

Barryg443

« Reply #93 on: 8 Dec 2020, 03:41 pm »
outstanding, cant wait to see the final version.  The red sure is nice!

Barry

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #94 on: 8 Dec 2020, 06:10 pm »
First tone coat is on!  :thumb:

Other cabinet is receiving some edge glue-ups where they didnt stick quite right. It should be ready for its first tone coat in a couple hours.

Digi-G

« Reply #95 on: 8 Dec 2020, 10:57 pm »
That looks like it's still wet!  Looking good tho...

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #96 on: 8 Dec 2020, 11:13 pm »
That looks like it's still wet!  Looking good tho...

Exactly! I need to give this one a day for the lacquer to cure before sanding & another coat. After that all remaining coats will be clear coats. Hopefully over the weekend I can coat the 2nd speaker, but it needs to be a day when im off so i can take advantage of the warmer weather, otherwise I risk the lacquer turning cloudy.

Here's how it's looking now.

I've also started working on the grills for the top, both have been primed, & one has been painted, ready for applying the grill cloth.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #97 on: 10 Dec 2020, 03:52 am »
Nice work Hobbs. Can't wait to see it with a few coats of clear. I would also give it a cut and polish at the end once the final coat of clear is hard enough.

SC

Barryg443

« Reply #98 on: 10 Dec 2020, 07:11 am »
Absolutely stunning!  Great work Hobbs!

Barry  :beer:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #99 on: 10 Dec 2020, 04:02 pm »
Thanks y'all! I'm really happy with how they're coming along!
I definitely plan to cut the current layer to hide some of the ripples before applying another tone coat & going clear from there once the rest of the speaker is ready for top the coats to hide seams.

I'm really happy with how nicely the color pops, quilted maple was definitely the right choice, much of a pain as it is to work with.. :lol:

Now that my mini vacation is over progress has haulted, aside from spraying the grill frames, may give them a light sand & another coat with the magnets intalled for easy removal.

Still got a long ways to go, but its all coming together~