Audiophile Moment - When did the passion strike?

StandardModel

Re: Audiophile Moment - When did the passion strike?
« Reply #140 on: 5 Sep 2022, 10:15 am »
I'm dating myself but i started with Heathkit and then worked my way up through "Rat Shack" then on to Dynaco. I started with tubes and transitioned to transistors. I'm an EE so I've seen the transition over the last sixty years from tubes to transistors and back again. Now we have Gallium Nitride with quicker response times. What's best? I think it may be time to upgrade my ears!

Monad

« Reply #141 on: 5 Sep 2022, 02:53 pm »
I was 3ish.. my folks had a Marantz 2215, 8 track and some Ampex speakers.  We (sister and I) were allowed to use it..

I was fascinated by the lighted blue dial and the wheel i could spin, to bring in radio stations. Too young to read, I gave names to the 8track tapes.  There was one I called 'big nose' that had >> a close up of a big nose on the front pic.  Not sure what that was now, but I liked it, played it a lot.

Some time after, at 5, I heard a pair of Bose 901s in a well set up 'listening room'. (yeh i can hear folk groaning now) but at the time, compared to 2 smaller Ampex speakers, in a wood floored open area, these ceiling suspended marvels, blew my mind.  The sound seemed to be coming from everywhere.

Later on in life, chasing that dream/ vision, I would buy a Bose 125W, wood sided receiver and some 901s, but it wasn't the same.  Possibly my expectations had shifted.  I also used to really like orange soda, until I puked it up, with some hot dogs.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #142 on: 5 Sep 2022, 04:22 pm »
I also used to really like orange soda, until I puked it up, with some hot dogs.

Lol. Pretty sure we all have an orange soda story. Good times.

Lemak91

« Reply #143 on: 7 Sep 2022, 01:27 pm »
My passion stared around the age of 16 when I was starting to go see more and more live music and would appreciate a good sound system at an event.