Rock Ball's NX-Tremes build

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Rock Ball's NX-Tremes build
« Reply #40 on: 5 May 2020, 03:58 pm »
I wonder if that peak at 150 is caused by room resonance or surface reflections? That said, the bass as a whole seems boosted a bit too?
But I don't know the layout of your room or how you measured them. could account for the differences between the left and right towers?

That could be on purpose. I run my bass 2-3dB high also. It sounds better to me that way.

AKLegal

« Reply #41 on: 5 May 2020, 04:02 pm »
I wonder if that peak at 150 is caused by room resonance or surface reflections? That said, the bass as a whole seems boosted a bit too?
But I don't know the layout of your room or how you measured them. could account for the differences between the left and right towers?

This was my thought as well.  That peak is a little bit past where the sub amp can directly fix it but reducing the amp output and maybe playing phase and frequency cutoff could drop that peak 5-10 db and get it more in line with the mids. 

If he has an asymmetric room the sub amps will probably need different settings anyway.

Will be interested to see measurements with the subs off and measurements with just the subs.  As Tyson alluded to, bass traps will probably be needed. 

NICE avatar pic Rock Ball.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 5 May 2020, 04:04 pm »
That could be on purpose. I run my bass 2-3dB high also. It sounds better to me that way.

That's a fair point, I generally prefer it that way myself as well, tho my housemates don't appreciate much it since they often sleep during the afternoons/evening.. lol

Rock Ball

« Reply #43 on: 5 May 2020, 06:30 pm »
With no subs...

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 5 May 2020, 06:58 pm »
Looking at the two results side by side, they're extremely consistent with the previous results, which is a good thing.
But im curious, is there a difference in their proximity to side-walls? Or are you moving them into the middle of the room one at a time to measure them? Are there areas where the room is open to other rooms and is there any room treatment?

Captainhemo

« Reply #45 on: 5 May 2020, 07:13 pm »
Movem closer  and further  away from  front wall too,    shoot measurements.....  room placement can make a  big difference

jay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #46 on: 5 May 2020, 07:49 pm »
Take 4 more sets of measurements - one from 4 feet to the left of the sweet spot and one from 4 feet to the right of the sweet spot one from 4 feet in front of the sweet spot and one from 4 feet behind the sweet spot..  This will tell you if that 150hz bump is a result of a horizontal (side to side or front to back) problem or from a vertical (floor to ceiling) problem. 

If the 150hz issue changes in the different positions, it's a horizontal problem and moving the speakers around can probably make it better.

If the 150hz doesn't budge on any of the measurement, then it's a vertical (floor to ceiling) issue and you'll need a bass trap or EQ to correct it.

Tyson

« Reply #47 on: 5 May 2020, 07:54 pm »
I should also point out that your current in-room measurements are actually quite excellent.  In my upstairs system I have several peaks of over 15db thanks to room acoustics.  Of course I am also using box speakers which are way worse with these types of problems.

jcsperson

« Reply #48 on: 5 May 2020, 08:54 pm »
I love any build that requires a ladder! :green:

Beat me to it. I've done some (non-audio) woodworking over the years, but I never had to use a ladder.

Rock Ball

« Reply #49 on: 5 May 2020, 10:39 pm »
Here are the measurements for how I cut my No-Rez panels on a table saw.

I used four 7"x13.5" pieces for the top-most sections and custom-cut them to fit using a fine-tooth hacksaw blade.  Razor blades did not work well for me.  I also used the hacksaw blade like a file to smooth out uneven areas.

Here's the finished product.

Rock Ball

« Reply #50 on: 5 May 2020, 10:51 pm »
Wide shot in my home theater.

« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2020, 02:29 pm by Rock Ball »

Tyson

« Reply #51 on: 5 May 2020, 10:53 pm »
Nice.  How does it sound w/the Norez vs without?

Rock Ball

« Reply #52 on: 5 May 2020, 10:58 pm »
Nice.  How does it sound w/the Norez vs without?
I listened to them several days without the No-Rez.  When I installed it, to be honest, I am not sure that I heard much of a difference.  I don't have the audio memory needed, I guess.  I would have to do an A/B to be able to tell.

You most certainly can hear the difference on the resonance of the cabinets with you knock on them.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #53 on: 5 May 2020, 11:10 pm »
Wow! that's one hell of a setup! They all turned out really well!

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #54 on: 5 May 2020, 11:24 pm »
Very Nice. You must be one happy camper.

Just a heads up for anyone doing a build. I noticed you did not paint the sections where norez will go. It's always good practice to paint all the surfaces for moisture control. If you only paint one side, the other could end up absorbing more ambient moristure and warp the material. That is so well braced it will be o.k..

Rocket Ronny

Early B.

« Reply #55 on: 6 May 2020, 12:38 am »
I listened to them several days without the No-Rez.  When I installed it, to be honest, I am not sure that I heard much of a difference.  I don't have the audio memory needed, I guess.

Your audio memory is probably fine, and your results aren't surprising. I had the same thought when I installed no rez in my OB subs. I've been tempted, many times, to rip it out and see what happens. Like everything else in audio, some people swear by it, others not so much.   

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #56 on: 6 May 2020, 12:51 am »
When I’ve added No Rez I would do one speaker and then compare it to the stock.  It’s pretty easy to tell them apart.

Jmitchell3

« Reply #57 on: 6 May 2020, 12:55 am »
Wouldn’t the no Rez issue be most obvious in a box speaker vs an OB speaker?

Rock Ball

« Reply #58 on: 6 May 2020, 01:01 pm »
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.

I plan to make more measurements tonight using your suggestions.  In the meantime, I have some more graphs from my measurement session on 5/4/2020 that I hope you find interesting.

These measurements were made with the No-Rez installed in the speakers.  The mic was on a mic stand at ear height with the arm extended all the way out.

In this measurement, the right speaker was forward facing with only a very slight tow in.  The mic was placed in 3 positions:  center (seat), left (mic swung to the left of seat about 2-3 ft), and right (mic swung to the right of seat 2-3 ft).  The right speaker was pointing almost directly at the mic in the right position.

When I saw the right position graph, I thought that this indicated that I needed to tow in the speaker so that it pointed directly at the seat.  I did that and took another measurement.

I was expecting a better match than that.  Here's the original forward facing graph vs. the towed in graph, both with the mic at center (seat).

To me, the best measurement was made with the mic to the right of the seat, with the speaker pointed directly at it (forward facing).  I think I have more experimenting to do with speaker placement.

More measurements to come.  Should I create a new thread for the measurements, or leave this subject in this build thread?

Sonicjoy

« Reply #59 on: 6 May 2020, 01:44 pm »
Rockball those are some Badass looking speakers and subs! Great job! I would leave the measurement discussion in this thread. I hope you keep those side windows covered while measuring and listening. Other than that, looks like a nice listening room!

And ya cutting Norez with a knife works fine inside a box but a table saw does a cleaner job if it is visible like these open baffles.