Mike Lundy for cabinets and completed speakers

maty

Re: Mike Lundy for cabinets and completed speakers
« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2020, 08:47 pm »
New X-LS Encore build
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=161891.0

[ Here are the crossovers. These have been pretty much maxed out. I took them a step beyond what Shawn did with his Skiing Ninga crossovers that won the Stereo Mojo small speaker shootout. They have Sonicaps, Mills resistors, Alpha-core foil inductors, and the step above is Platinum by-pass caps in the tweeter circuits and Miflex KPCU by-pass caps in the woofer circuits. ]

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2020, 11:27 pm »
Congrats Danny and Mike for getting such an incredibly positive review from New Record Day.  If you know Ron at NRD, he's not one for hyperbole but he was VERY taken with this speaker.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2020, 11:46 pm »
New X-LS Encore build
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=161891.0

[ Here are the crossovers. These have been pretty much maxed out. I took them a step beyond what Shawn did with his Skiing Ninga crossovers that won the Stereo Mojo small speaker shootout. They have Sonicaps, Mills resistors, Alpha-core foil inductors, and the step above is Platinum by-pass caps in the tweeter circuits and Miflex KPCU by-pass caps in the woofer circuits. ]

Mike, are these crossovers the same as the full upgrade options that are available on the site, or have they been upgraded even further? If yes, how much would this add to the cost of the crossover over standard upgraded package?

maty

« Reply #23 on: 29 May 2020, 04:35 pm »
YouTube X-LS Review | Sound Clips with Commentary by Ron Brenay

and... without DSP!

For a pleasant listening it is better to listen to them at an angle. For the measurement and recording with the least room effect is the right thing to do.

maty

« Reply #24 on: 9 Jun 2020, 06:54 pm »
Uilleam Audio | Lone Star Audio Fest 2019
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/06/05/uilleam-audio-lone-star-audio-fest-2019/

DALLAS (PTA) — Mike Lundy of Uilleam Audio is essentially a woodworking maven, who has mastered wood finishing and speaker cabinet building. Mr. Lundy builds proven open-source speaker designs to create not only a stunning looking pair of loudspeakers, but some of the best sounding speakers that real-world budgets can buy...

Mike Lundy

gmarks

There are a number of photos in this thread that show the quality of Mike Lundy's cabinet-building.

What also matters a great deal is the care he exercises in packing the finished speakers when he ships them to you. The photos here show how he packed my center channel speaker, a slightly resized version of the GR Research N3S finished in a tough flat black.

The black tape you see everywhere on the box was Gorilla Tape or something similar. I've had a lot of things shipped to me. I've never seen such sturdy, safe packaging. Kudos to Mke.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #26 on: 3 Aug 2020, 09:37 am »
Gmarks, looks like Mike sent you 2 sets of cabinets. 1 for your next build.  :lol: :lol:

Norman Tracy

« Reply #27 on: 22 Dec 2020, 07:12 pm »
Over on Servo Sub kits thread I posted about helping Michael move about his workshop a pair of GR Research Servo Sub Five 3 x 12” woofers stacks with the servo amp built into the base of the H-frame. Not available to tag along for the long weekend 20+ hours of driving delivery run I implored Michael to take pictures. Here are the results, must say I am blown away.

Back view on workbench prior to No Rez install.

Woofer closeup backside prior to No Rez install.

Woofer closeup frontside after No Rez install. Notice the care taken trimming the No Rez to size.

Now the results in the client's system. The system (of which I am a bit jealous and certainly admire greatly) includes:
  • Auralic Aries G2 music streamer
  • Auralic Vega G2 DAC
  • Auralic Leo GX external clock
  • Parasound JC2 preamp
  • Parasound JC5 power amp
  • Martin Logan Summit X electrostatic speakers
  • GR-Research triple Servo controlled Open Baffle H-frames with 12” drivers
  • Tidal with cell phone app to play music and control the system

Client's electronics.

Left channel, sub grills off.

Right channel, sub grills off.

Complete system, sub grills on.

My understanding the room is just finishing up construction after long delays, thus the lack of other furnishings and dust barriers taped to the wall. Notwithstanding that the client is thrilled with the sound. He reports what I heard at Mike’s place, that is these subs not only add bass to what the Summit X previously delivers (and they certainly do that) but also the strings, horns, and other details are more clearly audible at much lower volumes than they could listen to before adding the GR servo subs. After Michael left client reported marathon listening sessions into the night then restarting the next morning.

Looks like another happy GR Research + Michael Lundy team customer.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 24 Dec 2020, 07:19 pm »
Yes, they are extremely happy with these subs in their system. When I arrived all of his gear was still wrapped in plastic and blankets and the room needed to be cleared out of the other things stored there. The reconstruction work wasn't done but they had been unable to listen to music for the last year and didn't want to wait any longer. I actually built the subs in the fall of 2019 but had been holding on to them until he had a place for them.

The original position had the Martin Logans even with the subs. After dialing in with REW the bass was good but the mids and highs were not as open and airy as he remembered. I started pulling the Martin Logans further out into the room and the openness of the mids and highs returned. The farther out, the better the response.

He had previously had a Martin Logan ported sub in this system which led to becoming accustomed to some distorted bass. The servo OB subs served up the bass in balance, the way it is supposed to sound. At first this seemed a little off but the more they listened the more they realized how balanced and clear the bass was and consequently, how balanced and clear everything else was. He mentioned more than once how, as Norm said, he was now able to get better sound at much lower volumes and the scale was right.

When it comes to pairing with open baffle/electrostatic speakers, these OB servo controlled subs are far and away the best solution. Also, now that I have first hand experience working with the triples I can definitively say the triples are much better than the duals.

Otinell

• Looking to learn
« Reply #29 on: 29 Dec 2020, 04:11 pm »
Hi
These speaker are sweet

Nsm1979

« Reply #30 on: 16 Apr 2021, 04:00 am »
Mike, I will be covering a pair of dual H frame subs with Duratex.  I want the finish to be smooth and match my Spatials.  I read somewhere that adding a little water to the Duratex has a smoothing effect.  Any tips on getting the finish I want?  How much water?  I will be rolling it on. 

Or, am I hoping for a finish that Duratex is not capable of?

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

RolandButcher

« Reply #31 on: 16 Apr 2021, 01:53 pm »
I absolutely love the way those subs look.  That might be my favorite implementation. Great work.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 16 Apr 2021, 02:34 pm »
Mike, I will be covering a pair of dual H frame subs with Duratex.  I want the finish to be smooth and match my Spatials.  I read somewhere that adding a little water to the Duratex has a smoothing effect.  Any tips on getting the finish I want?  How much water?  I will be rolling it on. 

Or, am I hoping for a finish that Duratex is not capable of?

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

You might also want to use some spare MDF or wood to test it out.
That said, you'll also want to use a foam paint roller for the topcoats, or if you have the ability, try using a spray gun to apply it in thin coats, which should also allow for a much smoother surface, esp after thinning. Just remember to seal the MDF first so it doesn't swell from the moisture of the thinned druatex.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 16 Apr 2021, 10:13 pm »
First, that’s not DuraTex on the subs. It’s General Finishes Lamp Black Milk paint.

The secret for a smooth finish with DuraTex is to keep going back over it with a roller as it’s drying. With the second coat, se a fine nap roller for smooth finishes

mikeeastman

« Reply #34 on: 16 Apr 2021, 11:49 pm »
Mike how did you apply the  General Finishes Lamp Black Milk paint?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 16 Apr 2021, 11:52 pm »
With a very short knap smooth finish roller

Kjam1

« Reply #36 on: 19 Apr 2021, 06:07 pm »
Great work Mike, I really like the depth of veneer once you apply your finishing coats. Just beautiful! I will be visiting your site to get some ideas of cost of a build.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 20 Apr 2021, 04:40 am »
Great work Mike, I really like the depth of veneer once you apply your finishing coats. Just beautiful! I will be visiting your site to get some ideas of cost of a build.

Thanks

My website doesn’t have a lot on it. It’s more of a glorified contact page. One of these days I’ll do more with it.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #38 on: 8 Jun 2021, 05:44 pm »
Sharing some photos of Michael's latest work, a finished pair of NX-Monitor cabinets. These are veneered in a Indian Laurel burl with white painted baffles. The white and gloss top coats are automotive paints. His client will be finishing the build so we may or may not see pics with drivers and top white grill cloth installed.

The depth and figure of the Laurel burl under the high gloss is really beautiful.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 8 Jun 2021, 05:59 pm »
Absolutely stunning work!!  :thumb: