New Phono stage: PH 9.0 MM/MC with on-the-fly loading!

Audiosaurusrex

Re: New Phono stage: PH 9.0 MM/MC with on-the-fly loading!
« Reply #140 on: 16 Dec 2021, 06:59 pm »
Fuse size is 3A slow blow. It is located in the external supply. You simply remove the cover and fuse is in CE approved holder. Size = 5mmx20mm.

We are shipping units to Elite Audio, Reference Analog and a customer, tomorrow. We have another going to TMR on the 22nd. Hopefully yours is going out tomorrow!

Thanks,

Dan
Thanks Dan, Another addition from the Modwright Family :D Love my Modwright Pioneer LX500, I'm the TMR purchase, they were nice enough to work a trade for me. Happy Holidays!

RonP

« Reply #141 on: 16 Dec 2021, 06:59 pm »
Dan,

what's the word on the correct website for Andy?

I plan on talking to the man in Q1 next year.  8)

modwright

« Reply #142 on: 16 Dec 2021, 07:02 pm »
http://vintagetubeservices.com/

Call don't email. Andy is old school.

Dan

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #143 on: 29 Dec 2021, 02:06 am »
I have a few questions about the balanced outputs on the PH9.0x.
Don’t the inputs from the Turntable need to be balanced as well? Or is it balanced within the unit?
Is there a sonic difference between single ended and balanced outs?
Actually I found the answer on Dan’s website.
http://www.modwright.com/cms/resources/1611595991modwrightph9.0xexplanationofupgradebenefits.pdf

modwright

« Reply #144 on: 29 Dec 2021, 11:16 pm »
The short answer is no, you don't need to have fully balanced connections from the tonearm. I am not sure if there would be benefits there or not. I would have had to change the design a bit to allow this to be done. There are very few TT's with balanced tonearm cables that I know of, so I did not include this option on our PH 9.0/ PH 9.0X.

We offer both a 'Balanced Upgrade' version and the PH 9.0X which includes fully balanced outs by design. The first is a standard PH 9.0 that we add a pair of cap coupled 1:1 output transformers to create a fully balanced output signal.

The PH 9.0X uses high grade Lundahl output transformers as part of the output circuit, direct-coupled (eliminating coupling caps) and involves a totally redesigned output stage for much better sound and +6dB net gain.

Because the unit is SE in, whether via SUT (MC) or MM, the output transformers convert single ended to fully balanced via the best way possible. The impedance matching and galvanic decoupling inherent in transformer coupled phase splitters make them the ideal way to achieved fully balanced operation, in my opinion.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #145 on: 3 Jan 2022, 03:36 pm »
In the house. Packed meticulously. Rock solid Construction, Art and Engineering at it's finest. Or as Modwright puts it… Elegance, Simplicity, Truth……Can't wait to hook it up :D Thanks Dan!

« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2022, 12:46 am by Audiosaurusrex »

modwright

« Reply #146 on: 4 Jan 2022, 05:27 pm »
Thank you so much for that!

The PH 9.0X does embody all that ModWright stands for! It is purpose built for the best possible sound and value. It is our best selling product!

Enjoy!

Dan

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #147 on: 16 Jul 2023, 10:39 pm »
Can the MC loading be further customized by changing a resistor internally?  I would like to have more options in the 330 - 390 ohm range and don’t mind sacrificing some of the lower values that I would never use.

GregC

« Reply #148 on: 16 Jul 2023, 11:10 pm »
I use the MM input with a step up transformer.  My transformer allows resistors to be easily loaded on the back side of it to fine tune the impedance.   

You can also get an RCA splitter and load one of the RCA inputs with a resistor of choice.

Just a couple other options to consider.     

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #149 on: 9 Aug 2023, 01:48 am »
The resistors on the load selector circuit appear to be easily accessible.  I was just wondering if I could customize one setting at the time of ordering.  If not I could replace a couple resistors myself, like we used to do in the old days!

Thanks
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2023, 03:07 am by Stefan_DR3 »

Rocket

« Reply #150 on: 9 Aug 2023, 11:20 am »
Hi,

I'd send a message to Dan if I was you.

Cheers Rod

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #151 on: 10 Aug 2023, 03:54 pm »
I will email them before ordering, if I order.

Since I have more questions I started a new thread here:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=186725.0

Linked here to get more views.

modwright

New Umbilical Upgrade!
« Reply #152 on: 22 Sep 2023, 05:37 pm »
Our new upgraded phono power umbilical!

New PH 9.O/X/T Ugraded power umbilical - $395.
Proprietary in-house design using Cardas metals ultra pure copper in Teflon tubing, Carbon fiber jacketing and internal shielding to allow the cleanest and best connection between outboard supply and phono. Sold as factory direct upgrade or as $395 retail cost add from dealer, to replace stock umbilical.

We now have the following options and upgrades for the PH 9.0 tube phono stages:

Standard PH 9.0 tube phono with outboard supply.
PH 9.0X or 'X' upgrade, which takes the expensive output stage from the PH 150, includes fully balanced and RCA outs and 6dB more gain - $1250 upgrade cost.
PH 9.0XT or 'T' upgrade, which adds a high voltage pre-regulator and tube rectification to the outboard supply. This allows a broad range of tube rolling from 5AR4, GZ34, 5U4G, 5R4GYS, 274B and all equivalents - $500 upgrade cost.
Upgraded umbilical (above) for use between phono and power supply - $495.

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
« Reply #153 on: 15 Oct 2023, 04:25 am »
Hi @modwright , I am about 2 weeks into PH 9.0 XT ownership and absolutely smitten. Upgraded from a Manley Chinook SE, which was fine but not in the same league as the MW. I love that the PH9 has a tube rectified power supply.

Question on the rectifier tube used in the T upgrade. Your note above says a wide variety of tubes can be used including 274b. Some rectifiers like the 274b are direct heated (instant on) while others like the 5AR4 are indirectly heated and slow turn on. The Sophia 274b in particular warns about using in place of a 5AR4 unless the first stage caps are below a certain value:

Note(*): 274B is a direct heating tube. The indirect heating 5AR4 may turn on slower; however, people who buy 274B are for its superior sonic performance. To fully utilize its benefits, it may require the first stage capacitor (capacitor input) to be less than 10MFD; otherwise, it would shorten the 274B life span (very much like smoking is bad for your health). It would not be a problem with common choke input. Please consult your amplifier maker or refer to a tube manual. This 274B is an update of the NOS WE 274B, so both share the same characteristics.

https://sophiaelectric.com/products/pages-se-274b

I’ve got several substitutions for a 5AR4 including 274b, 6087, 5Y3GT, 5U4G etc. Can I safely use these or should I stick with indirectly heated tube like the 5AR4 or 6087?

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

modwright

« Reply #154 on: 16 Oct 2023, 04:01 pm »
Hi, the power supply is designed with capacitor size such that it can be used with 274B and direct and non-direct heated rectifier tubes.

I really appreciate your feedback!

Take care and enjoy.

Dan Wright

davehg

« Reply #155 on: 16 Oct 2023, 05:33 pm »
Thanks Dan.  Great to know I can use a variety of tubes.

I was unprepared by how good the PH9.0 sounds with my low output cartridges. I think the X upgrade and the Lundahls really shine - no need for an SUT.

But I have to believe the tube rectified PS plays a big role in why this sounds so good. I’m curious about the cable upgrade too - is this slighter improvement or on the same scale as the T upgrade?

Thanks for making excellent gear especially at this price point. I assumed I’d have to pay 7-8k to make a big leap but even at 5.2k I’d daresay the PH is a bit of a bargain.

modwright

« Reply #156 on: 16 Oct 2023, 05:49 pm »
You are most welcome and yes, the X upgrade does add 6dB, which does allow for use of .2mV carts. I have been auditioning a .2mV Koetsu in my system and it does work well! I am looking at offering a SUT with the highest grade SUT's for those who want it, and it will be 1:10, 1:20, but most people would never need more than 1:10 when used with the PH 9.0 phono stage.

As for the cable upgrade, it is not as big of an impact as the T upgrade. However, all of the customers who have received it, have also been very pleased with the improvement.

I agree that the performance of the PH 9.0/X/T is such that it performs at a level of other phono stages that cost far more! This was the design intent, basing the PH 9.0 on the PH 150 design, but judicously cutting costs. The X upgrade added in the biggest design  change from the PH 150 which makes a big difference and the T upgrade as you know is yet another level of performance, as is the upgraded umbilical which was offered based on customer demand.

We have also released the KWA 99 monoblock amplifiers at $4500 EA. and the LS 99 balanced tube preamp at $6500, based on our $11K LS 300 balanced tube pre. These products are all in a series with the PH 9.0 products, in similarly compact 10"W enclosures and with the same level of aesthetics, which allows us to keep  the cost down, and performance very high! The biggest difference betwen the LS 99 and LS 300 is that the LS 300 is fully dual mono, while the LS 99 has a single transformer and rectifier. Virtually all else is the same, and the LS 99 is $4500 less in cost.

The KWA 99 mosfet monoblocks are 100W @ 8 ohms and 200W @ 4 ohms and they are the best sounding amps we have released to date, in my opinion. Unlike the $11K KWA 150SE stereo amp (85lb), the KWA 99 monoblocks are 30lb each and 10.5"W x 6.5"H x 16"D. These  are designed with Exicon Lateral MosFETs and are biased much higher than our other amps due to the  chassis design allowing for heat rejection from the heatsinks.

All of these designs are in keeping with what I believe to be the direction of a majority of our customers are going: Better use of space, ease of move and lifting, lower cost and high value.

Thank you.

Dan Wright

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #157 on: 17 Oct 2023, 03:40 pm »
I’m curious about the cable upgrade too - is this slighter improvement or on the same scale as the T upgrade?

Assuming it's just carrying DC power, I would not expect it to be anywhere near as important as the T upgrade.

I have given up and sent the unit back to the dealer.  Too many unanswered questions here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=186725.0

davehg

« Reply #158 on: 17 Oct 2023, 04:14 pm »
Did you call ModWright? I called two times and got solid answers to my early questions.

The owners manual is online here:

https://www.modwright.com/wp-content/uploads/1591650156ph9.0ownersmanual.pdf

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #159 on: 22 Oct 2023, 02:22 pm »
Did you call ModWright? I called two times and got solid answers to my early questions.

The owners manual is online here:

https://www.modwright.com/wp-content/uploads/1591650156ph9.0ownersmanual.pdf

No, it would be a costly international call for me.  As I stated in my other post, 9.0X operation is not discussed in the 9.0 manual.

I asked here because I figured other users and professional reviewers would have tested the balanced outputs, since the 9.0X mod makes such a big deal about them.