Audiophile Moment - When did the passion strike?

bjornmkv

Re: Audiophile Moment - When did the passion strike?
« Reply #160 on: 28 Aug 2023, 02:48 pm »
About 20 years ago. Since I was 15. Probably before then if I think about it. 20 years later, still in search of the "Perfect" sounding setup somehow, even though I have a lot of wonderful gear.

Ronyee1

« Reply #161 on: 4 Dec 2023, 04:56 am »
For me it was actually the first time I put on a decent set of headphones that my cousin had. It was a pair of base heavy Sonys from the early 1990s and it was connected to his discman but I had never heard music that clearly before. Started chasing that.

Hank44

« Reply #162 on: 11 Dec 2023, 05:48 am »
Got my first system in 1976 from Tech Hifi in Boston.
Upgraded it in 1977, 1978, 1979, …  8)

karaokeroanoke

• Hi, how are ya?
« Reply #163 on: 18 Dec 2023, 04:57 pm »
It was when I first got to America in 2010 and bought earbuds I was 10 at the time, I got em from Dollar Tree, I thought distortion at 40% volume and muddied vocal and bass along with a general sense of dread when listening was just because I was listening to music on YT. Then one day some doofus left his earbuds on a bench, I waited 20 mins and he never came back so I picked it up. I think it was Sony? or Philips? That was when I first got introduced to too much treble so instead of shouty it was more like shrieking, even with that though it was clear and everything was pleasant enough to listen to. I knew I wanted better so I looked it up, it was 80 bucks and I couldn't really go around asking my parents for that stuff.

it wasn't until I was in high school that I owned something besides the typical apple earbuds, I already bought plenty of random IEMs that sounded good to me. Then I got the HyperX cloud headset and that's when I learned headphone clamp force were a thing. Squeezed my head so hard it gave me a headache and I kept them like that for way too long. My first real "hi-fi" headset was the HD599SE, got em for 100 bucks at amazon. It was good but it didn't wow me because I didn't know what to expect with it being my first set, and I used to EQ incorrectly everything I ran into.

now I'm here, trying to learn more about it and getting into the hobby. I try not to get too caught up looking for the best or the FRs and blast some music every now and then. Music's just amazingly great with a great set of cans

hammr7

« Reply #164 on: 10 Mar 2024, 11:23 pm »
I first got the bug around 1960. My dad loved big band and jazz, and bought a Fisher console to feed his addiction.  I suddenly realized that my little transistor radio was selling music short.  Bought my first LPs and confirmed there was good music and great music.

My dad started buying me "kits" to build my own system.  Taught me how to solder and read a schematic and I was off to the races. 

With a brother, we found old gear like tube consoles being thrown out.  We would carry them home and try our luck.  That got us our first TV and later our first color TV, along with more stereo systems to compare. I became a packrat at the local stereo stores.  Within a decade I knew all the great gear names I couldn't afford, and yet managed to build a decent system because I could find broken gear cheap and occasionally fix things. Worked up to my first audiophile system by 1980, which I used for 20 years.

Everything since has been seeing how many different ways great music can be played and heard.

t.benson

« Reply #165 on: 17 Mar 2024, 06:25 pm »
I bought gear when I was in college back in 1979. Thank goodness I kept my amp. A Sansui AU 7 17.  My friend & I dug it out of storage and started cleaning it up, but it needed professional help.  I had it restored and added some AR11’s along width my old HK turntable and from there there was no turning back!  I’m a low (to mid) budget VINTAGE dude, and so is my gear.

Craig Young

« Reply #166 on: 18 Mar 2024, 07:16 am »
The interest build was slow through the decades of growing up until 2023 when the desire really kicked in. I got an OB speaker with complimenting amp and room correction. Although most of my preference is listening via speakers, I had to get a decent headphone with complimentary amp and I am very happy that I did. 

Whitewolf1954

« Reply #167 on: 10 Apr 2024, 01:42 pm »
I just got bit after I got rid of my klipshhorns and got a pair of jbl l7s.  Who knew?. Im now looking for Looking for a pair of jbl4648a-8 or even just componets.

Augiewatts

« Reply #168 on: 13 Apr 2024, 04:21 pm »
Hello to everyone,

I'm new here, so I don't even know if I'm on the right thread, it's seems a little tricky how to navigate where to post a new post.

So I guess I'll start here and hope that's fine.

I started getting into audio when I was 10 years old, my uncle got me into audio since then.

It all started around 1975 ish. He had scott audio integrated amp and some diy criterion laffeyette speakers. He was a good man and he past away at the age of 38. After being an achoholic most of his life, he found his passion and he opened up a vcr repair shop at home called woods electronics. He gave up drinking found his dream and made it happen, and after a year later he passed away with cancer. I continue his passion with this hobby.
I will continue more about how much I appreciate this hobby. I had my goods and bads about it but it keeps me happy.

I have some Vincent audio gear and some crown amps.. Tekton speakers and vanguard scout book shelf speakers, etc.

Enjoy the music.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2024, 07:08 pm by Augiewatts »

Uncledd

« Reply #169 on: 13 Apr 2024, 08:38 pm »
I got the bug playing with diy speakers. I’ve built a few subs and played around with horn speakers. Open baffle speakers intrigue me as well.