4.5" hemp drivers?

ZLS

Re: 4.5" hemp drivers?
« Reply #40 on: 20 Feb 2007, 04:24 pm »
Further Rambling And Musing On The Omega 4 1/2 Inch Hemptone Driver

I have over a 100 hours on these drivers and I have certain impressions I would like to share.  I have these drivers in the Omega Bipole configuration, and I am driving them using the Red Wine Audio Sig 30.  I have previously posted about the Bipole speakers (love them) so I will just concentrate on describing the sound of the drivers. 
    These drivers have been described as big sounding (Vinnie Rossi) and juicy sounding (by myself).  I was listening to my system the other night, and in between being carried away to rhapsodic heights, I asked myself what do the drivers sound like?  They sound good I said to myself.  What do you mean good, good doesn't describe anything.  Well, I said to myself, they are easy to listen to listen to.  Well self I said again ( I talk to myself a lot, hopefully not out loud) why are they easy to listen to?  Because I find myself relaxed when I am listening.  Why can I relax?  Because the quantity and quality of harmonic information that these drivers convey!  All of the cliches are true.  I hear the rosin on the bow, the wood on the upright bass, the burnished glow of the brass.  I (my brain) does not have to work as hard to create the illusion of reality.  The sound has a roundness and depth ; it is rich with information.  Thus the terms big, juicy, sounds good come into play. 
    I have had the pleasure to be able to listen to three drivers that Louis has utilized.  The Fostex, the Visaton B200, and now the Hemptone Driver.  I have no trouble saying that IMHO the HempTone is better than the Fostex.  The B200 driver is more analytical, but a wonderful driver in its own right.  I, personally, am into juicy.

bbchem

« Reply #41 on: 22 Feb 2007, 04:42 am »
 :D Louis, will the Hemps be available for the Super 3 Alnico's? Will it be worth the sub??? How much will they cost??

Thanks   :lol:

kfr01

« Reply #42 on: 22 Feb 2007, 05:35 am »
Louis mentioned that the new 4.5 hemp drivers have 2 additional patents pending.  I forgot what they were for...I think one is for the motor design.  Louis?

These have been in development for a long time, so it is great to finally see them out and about!  I've never heard a 4.5'' wide-band driver sound so good! :)

-Vinnie

I am interested in this.  Have the applications been published?

Thanks!

kbuzz3

« Reply #43 on: 22 Feb 2007, 04:09 pm »
:D Louis, will the Hemps be available for the Super 3 Alnico's? Will it be worth the sub??? How much will they cost??

Thanks   :lol:

id like to know as well

Tralfaz

« Reply #44 on: 27 Feb 2007, 01:22 am »
Hi, everyone!

I haven't posted in ages but haven't forgotten the Forum.  I just haven't had anything to contribute, until today.

I received my new 4.5" hemps today and just finished installing them in my Super 3Rs.

Installation was easy:  Remove the 4 screws retaining the Fostex driver, remove the red and black clips from the back of the Fostex driver, attach the clips to the hemp driver, and screw in the 4 screws (making sure to tighten them evenly, and being careful not to over-tighten).  A variable-speed drill with a Phillips-head bit worked well for me.  Each speaker took about 5 minutes from start to finish.

I have pictures, but I need to figure out how to post them.

I don't have any impressions of the sound yet, as the drivers only have about 30 minutes on them.  The only thing I can say right is that they work out of the box.

Updates to follow, after an appropriate break-in time.

Louis O

« Reply #45 on: 1 Mar 2007, 12:36 am »
Hi Ryan,

Many thanks for your wonderful post and I'm sorry I missed it. I'm very happy you have the system running great and they are breaking in nicely. Massive attack is great for break in as well as to listening. Amazing bass. The pictures look great and the 2 tone alpine gold/pearl is very popular.

The 4.5” hemps will fit any speaker that used the FE 127. The alnico cabinet is also a drop in replacement, but the port will have to be reduced by a ½ inch to get the best sound. It’s not a problem with the deep cabinet as the X-max is smaller but closer to the alnico than the 127e.

I’m getting more of the drivers in and I will have more set aside for retrofit. The cost is $180 for the pair.
Many thanks Tralfaz and welcome back. I’m very happy you posted bout the retrofit and how easy it is. I spent a lot of time making sure that the drivers were a drop in with no modification to the wiring and the cabinet. This makes it very easy to do and not having to send the cabinets back saves down time and shipping costs.

Patent #’s are listed on the drivers. No XBL and not working with Hemp acoustics or Adire.

Hi ZLS,

Great post and believe me I know how hard it is to write about sound. Your post makes a whole lot of sense. They have an ease to them and a transparency that you can’t get with paper cones. The TT cone is the best hemp cone out there.

Thanks again,
Louis

onemug

« Reply #46 on: 1 Mar 2007, 05:06 am »
Just got my 4.5 hemps a day earlier than expected. Had originals playing when Fedex rang the bell. The refit was a cakewalk and fired them up immediately. I had an original master/uncompressed CD that a friend made already in the machine. I was going to play some FM and get the breakin process going but couldn't wait to hear the new hemp so CD it was. I was way surprized how good it sounded. Even as is I can tell it's something special.

Louis, everyone dreams of having a hit, you have a home run in this. I'm very happy for you. Glad you have patents on these. Back to some listening.

kbuzz3

« Reply #47 on: 1 Mar 2007, 06:07 pm »
the port will have to be reduced by a ½ inch to get the best sound. I’m getting more of the drivers in and I will have more set aside for retrofit. The cost is $180 for the pair.

Louis just to claify for those alinco super 3 narrow owners out there interested in retrofit. Can we reduce the port by ourselves or does the speaker have to be shipped back to you to replace the port?

Myself i cant even use a screwdriver but thats another story....

thanks

bbchem

« Reply #48 on: 1 Mar 2007, 08:15 pm »
Same question as above?? I can't even spell screw driver. Louis you mentioned adjusting the port and the terminals?? Can we do this at home or can we just replace the drivers ourselves since I worry about sending them for fear of damage? :duh: :duh:

psychenaut

« Reply #49 on: 2 Mar 2007, 08:07 pm »
Hey Louis!

No problem on the timing of your response.  You're a busy guy!

In the meantime, I've finally moved, received my stands from Noel (took much longer than expected and a little bit of a pain, but that's another story), and am about settled.  The breakin has made a lot of difference.  I'd estimate I have somewhere in the 400 hour range now and they sound incredible.  The stands have helped a bit, too.

At some point I'll be shopping for cable, but that will have to wait, as there are other priorities around the house.  I'm not sure if I want to go with the DNM or your R cable, but I'll figure that out when the time comes.  Talking to Creston on the phone and his ideas about rewiring the cabinets strangely turned me off as a potential customer.

The new Modest Mouse and Arcade Fire albums sound incredible, but I still need to sit down and give them a good listen with the volume a little higher.  Flaming Lips, Sparklehorse, Love and Rockets, Portishead, etc. are all old favorites that have become a whole new listening experience.  I'll be having a few old friends over sometime soon to get their reactions.

When I get a moment, I'll be taking some much better pictures of my speakers.  I have them in a room with better natural light and they look nicer on the Skylan stands.  I'll post again when I get them up!

Thanks again!

Ryan

JDK1

« Reply #50 on: 5 Mar 2007, 03:17 pm »
Hi all:
I just upgrading my XRS units and, like everyone else, it was exceptionally easy to do. As an observation, I was struck by how much "beefier"  :weights: the hemp devices are relative to the Fostex - by weight and density/strength of the connector panel. Since I'm still in the break-in phase, I can't report on the sound vis-a-vis the Fostex, but I'm certain that it will be special (and less "hot" compared to the older drivers).
- jdk

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #51 on: 12 Mar 2007, 02:03 am »
 I have about 70 hours on my new Hemp 4.5" drivers so I thought that it would be time for a review. :)

The installation process was very easy. If you can handle a screwdriver and maybe a pair of pliers it will be no problem. When I removed the old Fostex drivers I noticed that there was some caulking material perhaps used for vibration suppressing on the frame legs. A question for Louis. Should this caulking be applied in the same manner to the Hemp drivers? Here is a photo that shows the two drivers and you can see the much larger magnets and the generally more substantial construction of the Hemp.     
http://rajacat.smugmug.com/photos/135192692-L.jp
 I thought the Hemps sounded better than the Fostex's the first time I applied the power. After a while  they developed the inconsistent performance that is common during break-in such as irritating treble. Sometimes I'm not sure if it is my ears, the time of day or my mood. Presently, most of the inconsistency has disappeared and the new drivers are sounding very good indeed. aa They can handle MUCH more volume without sounding congested and over taxed. I've found that they perform quite well with orchestral music having no  problem with the large dynamic range. The speed of the drivers can shock you if you are relaxing and all of a sudden there is an unanticipated climax. With the Bipoles I don't think that a sub is required for the vast bulk of music. The Bipoles can function as full range speakers and a sub is a luxury which must be carefully integrated to be effective. YMMV.

I think that the new Hemp drivers are a no-brainer upgrade. For less than $200 a pair you get almost a new speaker because there is THAT much difference between the Fostex's and the Hemps. In addition to being able to handle more power there is better resolution, improved transparency and just generally more PRAT. I think that the Omega Bipoles really highlight the particular characteristics of these little drivers and because there are two opposing per cabinet they can really fill a room with music and expand the sweet spot without sacrificing much in the way of imaging. I can walk around the room,  between and in back of the speakers and the sound is still satisfying and when you are between the speakers, the musicians are still in place and you are among them. The Hemps make music that SMOKES :smoke: :D They sound very organic and analog.

Raj

« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2007, 03:28 pm by rajacat »

bprice2

« Reply #52 on: 15 Mar 2007, 03:33 pm »
Hi Louis (or anyone else who might know),

I'm curious if there has been any measurement of the hemp drivers in the Super 3 Bipole cabinets.  In particular, I'm curious as to how low the bottom end measures.

Thanks,

Brett

kbuzz3

« Reply #53 on: 15 Mar 2007, 04:58 pm »
did we ever hear from louis about the port changes on the super narrows? 

Louis O

« Reply #54 on: 20 Mar 2007, 12:19 am »
Hi kbuzz3,

It’s not that hard to do if you can get the ports out. They are glued in. Once this is done it’s very easy to do. The hemps will fit right in the alnico cutout as it’s the same as the hemps and the screw holes line up as well.

Hi bbchem,

Very easy to do and you shouldn’t have a problem. I can go over it with you over the phone as well.
No worry at all.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks and sorry about the late post. It’s really crazy over here lately and it’s a good thing for sure. Vinnie has got me set up with a laptop computer and I’m finally getting the cable line installed so I can be on all the time. Finally getting out of the Stone Age.

Break in on the hemps is major and the just like the Fostex drivers. The smaller they are the longer they take to settle in. 400 hours is a lot and glad you got the stands from Noel. They do make a difference for sure.

Hi JDK,

Many thanks and very happy it was an easy swap. I made sure of the basket being a drop in and since I had to tool up for a new one it wasn’t so hard to do. The terminals being the same size is a big plus too. The hemp driver has a much stronger motor and it doesn’t stick out like the FE126s. This wreaks havoc on the back wave. The cone is also stronger and lighter. Paper breaks up way faster than Hemp. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts when the break in.

Hi Rajacat,

Many thanks for your review and I couldn’t agree more with what you found in the sound verses the Fostex. I worked very hard to get this right and it took quiet a few prototypes, but I’m so happy with the results. The drivers are overbuilt and can handle more power and more complex material. The hemp tone is a big plus too. This has a lot to do with the cone not breaking up as traditional paper does. The transparency is one of the highlights of this. I also knew I was on the right track after hearing this latest version and after 2 years said this is the one.

The caulking is not needed anymore from what I find and I do treat the back wave of the hemp drivers.

Making this a plug and play retrofit was a priority and so happy to hear the many posts stating how easy it was to do.

The Bipoles are a speaker I have been making for some time now and the first to do it. I’m so happy that they now sound their best and so happy you are enjoying them.

Hi brett,

They go as low as the XRS’s in room (high 40’s), but have a lot more output with all the room gain.

Hi kbuzz3,

The port change is about ½ inch and you can even try it with out changing it, as the tuning would be more towards a faster presentation.

Thanks again,
Louis

kbuzz3

Drop in is easy
« Reply #55 on: 4 Apr 2007, 04:56 pm »
I recieved my drivers and installed them yesterday. I can confirm the ease of putting them in.  I am technically incompetent and cant even hang a picture.  The replacement time, with power screwdriver was less then 8 minutes. Easy Easy Easy.

As for sound...well too early to comment in substance, but the hemps do not have the bite the fostex has. Which is a great thing. Bass is much better as well. Im running them in without a sub and its a nicer balance then the fostex. So can anyone comment on break in time. It has too be shorter then the fostex right???

PS im using this new trends audio thing for break in. Its not a sig 30 killer by any means, But it is as good as advertised.  Suprised the heck out of me...or are the hemps that much better then the fostex?  Well stay tuned for a post when i have time to put my RWA sig 30 back in the system. Of course its the Omega edition.
« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2007, 08:46 pm by kbuzz3 »

bbchem

« Reply #56 on: 6 Apr 2007, 01:35 pm »
 :lol:  Got my Hemp drivers for the Alnico's, I would like some recommendations for amount of time and what conditions and music type/volume to break them in?? Thanks, Bill   :roll:

Louis O

« Reply #57 on: 7 Apr 2007, 10:25 pm »
Hi kbuzz3,

Great to hear you have the drivers installed and how easy it was to do. This was really important to me when we designed the new basket.

Got to run them in for a while and it's about the same as Fostex in time.

Hi bbchem,

They'll take about the same time as the Fostex and I would go with music with strong bass and play them at a loud enough level so the suspension moves a bit. You need to get the speaker loosened up.

The hemps in the bookshelf super 3 cabinets will all of a sudden sound great though the break in time. It's not a progressive break in.

Thanks again,
Louis

kbuzz3

« Reply #58 on: 8 Apr 2007, 03:33 am »

The hemps in the bookshelf super 3 cabinets will all of a sudden sound great though the break in time. It's not a progressive break in.

0m

hope so....after an initial postive listening session, the treble has been harsh harsh today.  This is at about 20 hours...on a more positive note...they are quite speedy and sounds can come out of nowhere which is a very tough thing to pull off. I can also say with confidence that the decay on notes is light years above the fostex....nice, long. smooth with a great finish....

bbchem

« Reply #59 on: 8 Apr 2007, 01:33 pm »
 :icon_lol:  Thanks Louis, the overall dynamics are very good but as Kbuzz pointed out there is the high frequency harshness. I have about 60 hours on them and am now playing Black Sabbath, should have enough bass. The sound overall is fuller than the Fostex and it seems to spit sounds out in more directions.

Super easy to install, thanks Bill   :thumb: