NX Studio and Double Trouble Build

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

Re: NX Studio and Double Trouble Build
« Reply #20 on: 17 Apr 2023, 02:23 pm »
Nice job on selection!

Once they're completely burned in, your going to hear details with playback material, you might not of never heard before. At least in my experience with the Studio's anyways. Looking good on your build, by the way, nice job.  Your going to be spoiled with this combination, it truly is a special combination for sure. I agree with tyson, you knocked it out of the park on your purchase! The another benefit with them being ontop of the OB Subs, they'll be more stable than them being supported with the stands you have. Based on what I could see based on photos shown anyways.

If I may ask, what associated electronics are you running alongside the Studio's? Looks like your utilizing Danny's Speaker cabling too?

Cheers,
NX STUDIO DRUMMER :drums:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 17 Apr 2023, 03:27 pm »
Re: burn in, you’ll have about 20 hours where they sound pretty good!  Then the next 70 hours will sound like ass and you will question your sanity.  Then they will slowly improve bit by bit for another 70 hours, at which point they will sound pretty good!  But even then you are not done.  They will continue to improve bit by bit for another 50 hours or so and then they will be truly outstanding and you are hearing them in their full glory.

KTS

« Reply #22 on: 17 Apr 2023, 04:55 pm »
Nice job on selection!

Once they're completely burned in, your going to hear details with playback material, you might not of never heard before. At least in my experience with the Studio's anyways. Looking good on your build, by the way, nice job.  Your going to be spoiled with this combination, it truly is a special combination for sure. I agree with tyson, you knocked it out of the park on your purchase! The another benefit with them being ontop of the OB Subs, they'll be more stable than them being supported with the stands you have. Based on what I could see based on photos shown anyways.

If I may ask, what associated electronics are you running alongside the Studio's? Looks like your utilizing Danny's Speaker cabling too?

Cheers,

Thank you for the kind words!

In my system I have a Denafrips Ares II , Emotiva differential reference CD player as a transport, Shiit Freya + with JJ’s and a Schiit Vidar amp, I do not have any high end cables except for the speaker cables (24 strand kit I purchased from Danny) the interconnects are Audioquest forest and the long interconnects are WBC. This was the best I could do on a budget, I plan on changing some cables as I move through this journey. I use my I phone as a streamer through an Apple photo adapter into the dac usb, I have tried inexpensive streamers but they do not do well in my system.
NX STUDIO DRUMMER :drums:

KTS

« Reply #23 on: 17 Apr 2023, 04:58 pm »
Re: burn in, you’ll have about 20 hours where they sound pretty good!  Then the next 70 hours will sound like ass and you will question your sanity.  Then they will slowly improve bit by bit for another 70 hours, at which point they will sound pretty good!  But even then you are not done.  They will continue to improve bit by bit for another 50 hours or so and then they will be truly outstanding and you are hearing them in their full glory.

Understood Tyson, I have been playing them all night and plan on continuing to until I get some hours on them.

Thank you, Kelly

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 17 Apr 2023, 06:27 pm »
Here lately I've been using the 22:2 method.
22 hours of play, 2 hours of rest, it gives the dielectric time to settle/relax between burn-in periods.

And I've had some pretty good results when burning in the VCap crossovers in, but they were definitely more dramatic than I expected with some days where they sounded really nice, and others where they were pretty rough and plenty of days in between.
Ill end up doing it again when I start comparing the silver vs copper bypass caps

Jaytor

« Reply #25 on: 17 Apr 2023, 07:45 pm »
I think burn-in time also depends on the capacitors used. My big Miflexes seem to continue to improve over several months of playing them 6-8 hours/day.

Tyson

« Reply #26 on: 17 Apr 2023, 08:51 pm »
Hobbs is exactly right - run a signal through the speakers for 22 hours and let them rest for 2 hours every day, this will speed up the burn in process.

KTS

« Reply #27 on: 17 Apr 2023, 10:09 pm »
Here lately I've been using the 22:2 method.
22 hours of play, 2 hours of rest, it gives the dielectric time to settle/relax between burn-in periods.

And I've had some pretty good results when burning in the VCap crossovers in, but they were definitely more dramatic than I expected with some days where they sounded really nice, and others where they were pretty rough and plenty of days in between.
Ill end up doing it again when I start comparing the silver vs copper bypass caps

Thank you for the advice Hobbs! Much appreciated, starting the new process today.

KTS

« Reply #28 on: 17 Apr 2023, 10:14 pm »
I think burn-in time also depends on the capacitors used. My big Miflexes seem to continue to improve over several months of playing them 6-8 hours/day.

:o Are they from your crossover in your line force?

Jaytor

« Reply #29 on: 18 Apr 2023, 02:28 am »
  :o Are they from your crossover in your line force?

Yes. They are sounding fabulous!

KTS

« Reply #30 on: 18 Apr 2023, 10:57 pm »

Yes I am at step 2!! I am glad you told me, I would have thought something went terribly wrong. I have a buddy coming over to measure this weekend and dial in the speakers vs the subs, do we need to wait until after they are done burning in?
Here is what I have gleaned from Danny’s videos and from the forum.

1. Set speakers to where they sound best.
2. Set phase on subs to 0 then 180 to determine phase relation the higher output of the two setting is closest
3. Measure the speaker one at a time no subs find the low frequency accounting for room gains
4. Measures the sub one at a time and set the control to allow for a (here is where I get confused) 6db difference or a 12db difference? I know the goal is to sum as flat as possible.
5. Look for peaks or troughs in the response and use the controls on the sub to correct.

I am not experienced and my friend who is helping has some, but I wanted to be sure I am getting started correctly.

Thank you, Kelly

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #31 on: 18 Apr 2023, 11:22 pm »
Kelly those all sound like a good starter set of rules for dialing everything in. As for delaying for the speakers to sound better, I don't think it's necessary. While they will improve sound wise over time, they should still measure the same or damn near enough to not make a difference. There may be a tiny bit better low end as time goes 9n, but that would be solved with little tweaks down the line. Just try to not pull your hair out chasing theoretical performance gains. Lol.

KTS

« Reply #32 on: 19 Apr 2023, 12:06 am »
Kelly those all sound like a good starter set of rules for dialing everything in. As for delaying for the speakers to sound better, I don't think it's necessary. While they will improve sound wise over time, they should still measure the same or damn near enough to not make a difference. There may be a tiny bit better low end as time goes 9n, but that would be solved with little tweaks down the line. Just try to not pull your hair out chasing theoretical performance gains. Lol.

Understood, thank you for the advice!

Tyson

« Reply #33 on: 19 Apr 2023, 04:18 am »

Yes I am at step 2!! I am glad you told me, I would have thought something went terribly wrong. I have a buddy coming over to measure this weekend and dial in the speakers vs the subs, do we need to wait until after they are done burning in?
Here is what I have gleaned from Danny’s videos and from the forum.

1. Set speakers to where they sound best.
2. Set phase on subs to 0 then 180 to determine phase relation the higher output of the two setting is closest
3. Measure the speaker one at a time no subs find the low frequency accounting for room gains
4. Measures the sub one at a time and set the control to allow for a (here is where I get confused) 6db difference or a 12db difference? I know the goal is to sum as flat as possible.
5. Look for peaks or troughs in the response and use the controls on the sub to correct.

I am not experienced and my friend who is helping has some, but I wanted to be sure I am getting started correctly.

Thank you, Kelly

That's a really good plan, very similar to what I do.  One other piece of advice - If you have any peaks/valleys on the subs bass response, only use the EQ to cut a peak.  NEVER use the sub EQ to try to fill a dip. 

Also, don't be afraid to move around the listening position.  Sometimes moving forward (or backwards) can have a profound affect on the bass you get at the listening position.

KTS

« Reply #34 on: 19 Apr 2023, 09:59 am »
That's a really good plan, very similar to what I do.  One other piece of advice - If you have any peaks/valleys on the subs bass response, only use the EQ to cut a peak.  NEVER use the sub EQ to try to fill a dip. 

Also, don't be afraid to move around the listening position.  Sometimes moving forward (or backwards) can have a profound affect on the bass you get at the listening position.

Thank you Tyson

KTS

« Reply #35 on: 24 Apr 2023, 12:52 am »
Just wanted to send an update and close out this thread, the Studios have been running in for approximately 170 hrs and a friend came over to measure this evening, primarily to start the process of integrating the subs, the NX Studio’s measured very flat to 65-70, we adjusted the subs appropriately. I really am not good at or qualified to give a review, but I will say the sound they produce has to be heard in person to really understand the realism they produce. I had no frame of reference to draw from just outstanding in every way possible and does not leave anything on the table. Kudos to Danny for designing a speaker that performs at this level as a DIY kit! If you are thinking of the NX Studios for a project, I would not hesitate to recommend, absolutely outstanding!

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #36 on: 9 Jun 2023, 02:20 am »
Just a couple of progress pictures

Cut the veneer from the wave guide and finished assembly of subs.

Cutting the veneer around the wave guide was nerve racking but the end result was satisfactory.

WOW veneering the waveguide... impressive!

charmerci

« Reply #37 on: 9 Jun 2023, 02:35 pm »

Early B,
That was the ticket, now I hear what everyone is saying about the NX Studio!! Indescribably good at most everything! Thank you for the tip, that is why I love this forum!

Much appreciated! Kelly

It seems kind of natural to place the subs like that but maybe someone could comment on how the bass could be affected by trying rotating the subs?

Amazing job on the speakers! So cool!

Tyson

« Reply #38 on: 9 Jun 2023, 03:52 pm »
Rotating the subs will put you in the bass null OB subs create to the side,  don’t do it.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #39 on: 9 Jun 2023, 10:26 pm »
I'd like to see measurements of that?? A lot of prominent speaker designs have side firing woofers, i'm not saying that it isn't so i'd just like to see the data.

Don