Luxman 509x Impressions

Matt Cooney

Luxman 509x Impressions
« on: 28 Jan 2023, 03:34 pm »
I have been very happy with my main pre/power amplification system - ARC Ref 5se and ARC Ref 75se - for some time.  I wanted a solid state solution both as a backup if something were to fail and for daily use (leave it on all the time, no tube considerations).  I did a fair amount of research, and, for my speakers (Harbeth 40.2) I could not find anything but overwhelming gush for the Luxman integrateds, with 509x arguably the best.  I even had reason to believe it could meet or exceed the ARC stack from a SQ standpoint.  I don't cycle through a lot of gear, but generally "demo" by buying used, and I got a good deal on a near-new 509x, and in she went.

Hmmm.  Its a nice piece of equiment for sure, but no way does it sound as good as the ARC stack.  Less refined, a little more thin and brittle, smaller sound stage, bass is a little more...coarse.  Any reactions to this?  I'm curious if this is a case of "Everyone's ears are different, just a matter of preference," or "Duh, the ARC Ref combo is a particularly sweet pairing that retailed for more than 2x the cost of the Luxman, so what do you expect?!"
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2023, 09:30 pm by Matt Cooney »

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Luxman 509x Impressions
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2023, 06:21 pm »
I'm not surprised in the least.

Mike B.

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2023, 07:18 pm »
Good to read your results. I have considered going the same direction. I am currently using a Reference 75 with KT150's with a H-Cat series 9 preamp.

Matt Cooney

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2023, 09:27 pm »
Thanks.  Am not familiar with H-Cat (just looked it up) - how do you like? 

On the topic generally, there is some audio adage to the effect that "All reviews are good," and it is important not to get sucked in to thinking that means AS GOOD as more expensive gear.  :D I read a post somewhere in which the user said the Luxman was better than his ARC separates, but I did not interogate further (exact models etc)

The Luxman in a nice piece, but my use is simple (streaming digital almost all the time), so I don't need all the features - it may be moving along, and I may repurpose the funds in chasing SQ!

mr_bill

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2023, 09:58 pm »
Those are some terrific AR components you have - not surprised.
The tube aspect will make a difference too.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2023, 01:22 am »
I heard the Luxman 509x at a dealer.  My son brought his Cary SI-300.2D Integrated amp along to compare.  We both thought that the $6K Cary sounded better than the $10K Luxman.  The Luxman sounded thin in comparison.

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jan 2023, 03:59 am »
Yeah, I think Luxman integrateds are a bit over-hyped sonically. If we could get them in the US at Japan market prices, I think the cost to performance ratio would be in much better alignment. They’re beautifully built and I’ve not read of reliability issues. I would never fault anyone for buying a Luxman integrated, though I feel  better sound can definitely be had for less money. Side note : Luxman’s CD players are absolutely top notch.

dpatters

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jan 2023, 10:39 am »
I would think a Pass Labs integrated would be a better solution than Luxman.

Don P

Matt Cooney

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jan 2023, 05:35 pm »
I would too....but I can't tell you how many times I read some version of: "Harbeth speakers? Luxman all the way."  :)

RDavidson

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2023, 04:06 am »
I’ve seen that Harbeth + Luxman integrated recommendation over the years too. Makes me kind of wonder where it originated. My guess is Harbeth / Luxman dealers. Not that it’s a bad recommendation, but it is weird and perhaps dated advice. I think there’s quite a bit of competition in the high end and ultra high end integrated amp arena especially nowadays.