I don't know how to think about the Brave New World...

Zuman

I received my periodic marketing blast email from Roon today, and they're trying to sell off a pair of Dutch & Dutch 8c active speakers. I had a few minutes of free time, so I googled them and came across a Stereophile review from 2019 that I hadn't read before. Essentially, these are 19" x 10.5" x 15" speakers that have both amplification and DSP built in, and they adjust to their environment to sound "clean, balanced, and revealing" and "right" according to the review. The reviewer concluded that the speakers are "a truly full-range system with enough dynamic range and power for almost any domestic situation." Roon - who, admittedly, are trying to sell the speakers, wrote "These will quite possibly be the best speakers you have ever heard, even compared with full systems costing four times the price" (which would be about $50k).
So...with Devialet, Dutch & Dutch, and others taking active speakers far beyond simple amplification, and with both inboard and outboard DSP processors available for non-active speakers, is the age of "simple" but cleverly-designed and carefully-crafted boxes, baffles, drivers, and crossovers over? Have we reached the point at which the best sound that reaches our ears will inevitably result from electronic processing far beyond what most of us have now: a crossover choosing which driver gets a frequency band?
I'm sure that there will always be a place for good design and craftsmanship, but I'm wondering if the art of speaker design must now pass the torch to the science of digital manipulation?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: I don't know how to think about the Brave New World...
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2023, 02:45 pm »
Pat McGinty said he reopened Meadowlark Audio because with digital room correction crossovers (Dirac Live) and internal amps be could finally design and sell speakers without compromises.  The technical issues all appear to be in favor of fully active speakers with room correction onboard, but the marketing hasn't kept pace.  The two opportunities seem to be equipment churning audiophiles who want to be on the cutting edge of everything in the high end, and audio newbies looking for all in one solutions on the low end.     What's missing is the vast middle ground.  When Polk, PSB, B&W, and the other major brands start delivering their mainstream speakers with active room correction we'll start to see real change.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2023, 11:09 pm »
When Polk, PSB, B&W, and the other major brands start delivering their mainstream speakers with active room correction we'll start to see real change.

The February 2023 issue of Stereophile has a review of the Dynaudio Focus 10 powered speaker, it should show up on their website soon. The speaker does everything and is minimal as it gets although I have no idea who buys these speakers. The speaker costs $5500/pair, is that mainstream yet?

Everyone I know that would spend $5500 tends to churn through equipment, they like music but also like to explore how different brands of electronics and speakers sound. My other friends could consider spending $850 on a stereo, then sleep on the cost and pass, these are people who can afford to spend $1000s, they just choose not to. Their old Advent speakers and Technics receiver is good enough. My brother is happy with his soundbar and actually it doesn't sound that bad.

So who buys this stuff? Know anyone who thinks these speakers are a perfect lifetime speaker (like the old Advents) and has ordered a pair?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2023, 01:56 pm »
I've bought them.  JBL 305 Mk2 are wonderful small monitors for $300/pair and can fill a medium room down to 43 Hz.  Dynaudio BM5 Mk3 are similar performers but cost slightly more.  I've also owned JBL 708P, a larger 2-way active monitor that may be the best all around loudspeaker I've ever heard ($3900/pair).  Actives go lower for a given box size and are way more dynamic plus they're very accurate.  The consumer side is beginning to accept active monitors in the form of wireless, built-in DACs, and DSP. 

Active monitors have been in use almost exclusively in recording/mixing studios for 20+ years.  Active means one channel of amplification per driver for better synergy and component matching.  Active also involves using a low voltage crossover for more sophistication and opens the door to incorporating DSP for room correction. 

If you like swapping out lots of boxes and cables or tubes these won't be your cup of tea.  But if you like simple, small systems they're near perfect.

It's important to differentiate powered from active loudspeakers.  As defined above active uses one channel of amplification per driver with a low voltage crossover.  Powered speakers are simply an stripped down integrated amp built inside a speaker cabinet (many of which are sold in pairs that have the amp inside one of the loudspeakers. 
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2023, 04:07 pm by JLM »