Andrew Jones sp-fs52 crossover rebuild

Craigallen1971

Andrew Jones sp-fs52 crossover rebuild
« on: 8 Jan 2023, 06:40 pm »
Hello,
I have a pair of Andrew Jones sp-fs52.  Any tips on how to improve the sound quality of these speakers.  Ether crossover rebuild, stiffening the cabinet, stuffing the enclosure.  Any advice would greatly be appreciated.  I have it paired with a Marantz slimline receiver.

thank you for your time and have great day.

charmerci

Re: Andrew Jones sp-fs52 crossover rebuild
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2023, 10:23 pm »
Dennis Murphy is your man. He has re-done the crossover. Email him at info@philharmonicaudio.com

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2023, 10:42 pm »
Time to move up the ladder. They’re not worth modding, imo.
They are what they are. They taught you to want more, so you got your money’s worth  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2023, 11:46 pm »
Time to move up the ladder. They’re not worth modding, imo.
They are what they are. They taught you to want more, so you got your money’s worth 

+1.  Listen to the wise man.
Dont fix what is not broken.

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2023, 09:13 pm »
Hey!

Yeah, I agreed with richidoo. To be honest, I've never heard a pair but I'm sure they sound great for what they cost you.

But to put more money into them, that would be like trying to make the cheapest current Kia car into an BMW M3. Might just save up and buy a used a year or two old M3.

So, with that said, I think you're better off just enjoy them while you saving money for a new pair and sell the Pioneer when you have enough money to buy a new pair. I'd recommend you keep an eye out for a used pair of good speaker, especially locally. Many audiophiles change their gears often. You might noticed sometime you see people posting about their new best ever "something!!!"... and 3 months later you see them listed it up for sale here :lol:

By the way, since you are using receiver, make sure your look for speaker that are easy to drive. Some audiophile speaker are notoriously hard to drive.

Well, good luck and keep us posted on your journey!

77SunsetStrip

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2023, 12:43 am »
Hello,
I have a pair of Andrew Jones sp-fs52.  Any tips on how to improve the sound quality of these speakers.  Ether crossover rebuild, stiffening the cabinet, stuffing the enclosure.  Any advice would greatly be appreciated.  I have it paired with a Marantz slimline receiver.

thank you for your time and have great day.

Moving on to something better is an option.  Unfortunately, that can lead to upgrading other components.  Buying more expensive speakers will not guarantee quality crossover components.  I have seen multi $K speakers with the cheapest, lowest quality crossover components.  Active speakers are promoted as all around better than passive speakers.  Unless you spend big dollars all you get is speakers with a built in amplifier made of the cheapest components.

If you want to get your hands dirty and gain knowledge, working on your current speakers is an option.  Quality crossover components do not have to be expensive.  That will make a difference, just don't expect miracles.  Enclosure resonance control can yield an improvement, just don't expect miracles.  Trying to improve what you have can be fun.

Also consider DIY kits.  There are some real bang for the buck kits available.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2023, 12:59 am »
Improving an xover is a pita, expensive, laborious, and the sound still shows that the xover is there.
Buy a speaker that does not have xover and stop spending money on parts.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2023, 02:42 am »
Agree, time to move on.  Buy yourself a nice pair if Elac's.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jan 2023, 11:52 am »
I don't know why everyone is trying to talk you out of modding the Pioneers.  Jones designed the bookshelf BR22 to be a cheap and cheerful giant killer, but I've always felt the FR52 floorstander was a bit of an afterthought to round out the marketing.  So I would think bracing the economy cabinet, installing some no rez, and swapping crossover parts would be worthwhile here, in that order.