Lampizator Pacific

Octube

Lampizator Pacific
« on: 16 Feb 2022, 05:58 am »
I have a Lampizator Pacific DAC and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  I use the KR 5U4G for the rectifier tube.  I read with interest the kernelbob's experience after installing the Psvane ACME 274B in his Pacific DAC.  I'm just following up to see if anyone else made the same switch and had the same experience.  I'm also wondering if kernelbob is still using the Psvane ACME 274B?

Thanks,

Ray

wisnon

Re: Lampizator Pacific
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2022, 03:45 pm »
The Acme is smoother and kinda suited for Jazz, though the RK is more an all rounder. Best for me in the Pac is the GZ480 recti.

kernelbob

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2022, 10:32 pm »
I have a Lampizator Pacific DAC and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  I use the KR 5U4G for the rectifier tube.  I read with interest the kernelbob's experience after installing the Psvane ACME 274B in his Pacific DAC.  I'm just following up to see if anyone else made the same switch and had the same experience.  I'm also wondering if kernelbob is still using the Psvane ACME 274B?

I'm currently using the KR-5U4G in my Pacific which mates well with the KR-242 output tubes that I run (I need the higher gain that the 242 tubes provide).  In December I ordered the new Lampizator Horizon DAC.  I'm trading in my Pacific and getting the full purchase price of the Pacific credited toward the Horizon.  Not sure what rectifier will end up in the Horizon.

Robert

Jarbs

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2022, 08:13 pm »
For me the RK 5u4g is my favorite, default rectifier. It is slightly more refined up top and more expansive in the bottom than any other, including the regular KR 5u4g. I had the Shuguang GZ480 for a while. It’s bass heavy and dull up top, not possessing the engaging 3D nature of the RK.

My second favorite is the RCA globe 80. It’s more organic and dimensional in the mids. But it does need a 5Z3 to 5AR4 adapter. Generally I don’t roll the output tubes as I haven’t found anything the beats my RK PX25, but I do roll a few different rectifiers. Maybe the 80 is an affordable alternative to the Psvane 274?

I ordered a Horizon as well. Looks like the early shipments are RK 5u4g. I don’t think my 80 has enough oomph to power the Horizon though.

wisnon

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2022, 08:01 pm »
I'm currently using the KR-5U4G in my Pacific which mates well with the KR-242 output tubes that I run (I need the higher gain that the 242 tubes provide).  In December I ordered the new Lampizator Horizon DAC.  I'm trading in my Pacific and getting the full purchase price of the Pacific credited toward the Horizon.  Not sure what rectifier will end up in the Horizon.

Robert

I hear that the GZ480 that was tops in Pac does not do so well in Horizon. The RK 5u4g and even the cheap Russian 5u4s do very very well. No feedback yet on other recites like Fuggly Frankie, Masher, U52, 5r4gy (single and double mica), RCA backplates, Acme 274b, KR anniversary 5u4g, gy34, Tak and WE vintage 274b, Brimar 5z4, Marconi 5u4g, etc.

I prefer the KRPx25 to the RK. Also, if you look at the spec sheet for your particular Pac, it may give you a clue to the sweet spot output tube. Mine test highlights the 300b and I quite like the RK 300B in it. I have regular racer 242, not the more tamed 242. For clubroom Jazz I still like the NU 45 the EML Annie mesh 45 and especially the vintage Cunningham/RCA CX345/Ux245.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2022, 01:35 am »
If it can use the 274b I suggest you try the RCA 5r4. Reasonably priced and holographic.

azchump

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2022, 02:34 am »
I have had the Pacific for 18 months and soon to be the Horizon.  I have the KR 5U4G rectifier and have been using that exclusively until two weeks ago.  I purchased the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B with the intent of using it in the Horizon.  I decided to try it in the Pacific.  For me, that was a major uptick in SQ.  I might consider the Tak 274B or the WE 274B down the road.