Kevin Carter RIP

larryboy

Kevin Carter RIP
« on: 7 Feb 2024, 12:58 pm »
Kevin Carter of K&K Audio passed away on February 2nd. He was a distributor of Lundahl transformers, offered parts and kits for audio projects, a wealth of knowledge that he freely shared and a great friend to myself and many others. There are many audiophiles who have benefited  from doing business with  Kevin and K&K Audio. Those in the Raleigh, NC area were able to participate in the "Audio Sunday School" at Kevin's house to share music and audio projects that were going well or needed help. My condolences to Kevin's family.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
Re: Kevin Carter RIP
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2024, 01:18 pm »
Terrible news, condolences to his family.

Kevin always picked up the phone to help and his kits are outstanding in performance and value. I use his phono extreme, Mir preamp and a Rakk dac that he designed with D. Davenport.

RIP Kevin.

Tubefly

• Motorcycles, Music, and Trout
« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2024, 01:54 pm »
Sad news indeed. Condolence to his family and to his friends.

Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2024, 02:48 pm »
Sad news. I met Kevin at a DIY show in Washington state. Nice man. I later got design help and tranformers from him. RIP

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2024, 03:24 pm »
Really bad news to the tube amps community.
K&K are the best OPTs in USA IMO.
RIP

krustykat

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2024, 03:08 am »
This is such sad news about Kevin. I feel lucky to have met Kevin and talked audio with him, his knowledge was astounding.  From him, I bought his "K&K Maxxed Out" phono preamp, which I've owned for about 7 years and have no intention of ever selling. He was such a nice generous man who will be missed.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2024, 08:20 pm »
His departure hurts deep amongst the local diy denizens here in North Carolina. Kevin will be remembered for his offbeat humor, pragmatism and genius tube designs that were neatly augmented by the use of solid state current sources. He married tube and solid state in the best way - all his designs are astoundingly neutral sounding despite using tubes as the main amplification device. Our music sounds better because of him. I'm currently building one of his MIR line stages and have been lucky enough to listen to his fully differential super high end Sonus Veritas models. The man designed phenomenal circuits and he will be missed.

In memory of him, I bring up the Narada phonostage I built with his guidance which now resides with a recording engineer in Tennessee.

Rest in Peace Kevin, see you on the other side.

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2024, 02:49 am by poseidonsvoice »

rlee8394

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2024, 12:09 am »
Sad news indeed. I modded a Dynaco ST70 with his K&K Audio Upgrade Mk II Circuitry and Shunt regulator upgrade. Nice unit.
He will be missed.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2024, 05:39 pm »
Shitty news, I loved Kevin's matter of fact way of talking audio, and his no BS way of conveying sound was special. Just fired up my beloved Rakk Dac.

RIP Kevin

Don

Stercom

« Reply #9 on: 9 Feb 2024, 05:45 pm »
His departure hurts deep amongst the local diy denizens here in North Carolina. Kevin will be remembered for his offbeat humor, pragmatism and genius tube designs that were neatly augmented by the use of solid state current sources. He married tube and solid state in the best way - all his designs are astounding neutral sounding despite using tubes as the main amplification device. Our music sounds better because of him. I'm currently building one of his MIR line stages and have been lucky enough to listen to his fully differential super high end Sonus Veritas models. The man designed phenomenal circuits and he will be missed.

In memory of him, I bring up the Narada phonostage I built with his guidance which now resides with a recording engineer in Tennessee.

Rest in Peace Kevin, see you on the other side.

Best,
Anand.
Well said Anand. I agree 100%

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2024, 11:59 am »

Drrick007

« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2024, 05:58 am »
Very, very sad news. He was a DIY legend!
He was always helpful to all.
He will be missed!
Peace,
DrRick

BritneySpears

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2024, 09:14 am »
He will be missed. He was always a pleasure to do business with. Gone too soon. Rest in peace Kevin.