Cheap & Cheerful CD and/or DVD player with digital out.

StereoNut

I know there was a thread like this in the archives, but I think the last post goes back to 2012... therefore, I am going to resurrect this topic.  I am looking for an in-expensive CD and/or DVD player that I can use as a transport for an office system, to go along with my Little Dot Mk.III Headphone amp as a Pre, a stock EE Minimax DAC, a BK ST-140 power amp and a pair of NHT Super One monitors.  Used or new is OK, as long as there's a digital out to run into my DAC.

Any ideas...???

Thanks!
Bill

StereoNut

Re: Cheap & Cheerful CD and/or DVD player with digital out.
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2014, 05:11 am »
Does anybody know anything about this Onkyo C-7030 Compact Disc Player?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UR487A/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Is there anything out there better for this cheap?

Thanks!
Bill

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2014, 12:00 pm »
I have heard of Wal Mart offering a super cheap dvd player with digital out.  I don't exactly remember the price but I seem to recall if being under $50.  Should be fine for a transport.  If you've got a good dac you can get away with a super cheap transport, IMO.  How's that for cheap and cheerful!

2gumby2

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2014, 12:59 pm »
The Onkyo C-7030 seems to be a very solid unit. I've seen it at the local Hi-Fi store and the disc loading mechanism is very smooth. I've been happy with the Onkyo products that I have owned.

tvyankee

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2014, 01:01 pm »
hey,

i have a modded marantz cd-67se that you my want. in great shape haven't use in years. it has been in a climate controlled storage still in the original box.

$100.00 bucks with shipping included would do. i also have a squeeze box that has been modded if your into that. that i would let go for like $275.00 and that is in great shape also.

just a thought.

raysracing

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2014, 01:20 pm »
The low end Sony DVD units always impress for around $100 new. My last one from 6-7 years ago is still running strong. It was my transport to DAC for many years.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 18 Feb 2014, 01:25 pm »
The Onkyo C-7030 has garnered good reviews, never heard it myself.  My go to recommendation is any older Oppo universal player.  You get the advantage of playing SACDs and DVD Audio discs as well as CDs that the Onkyo is limited to.  I use the old DV-970HD and it has kept on ticking well past my other, more expensive CDPs (knocking on wood here).  There's always a few of either this model or the next series 980/981 on eBay for $50 or so.

raysracing

« Reply #8 on: 18 Feb 2014, 01:43 pm »
The Onkyo C-7030 has garnered good reviews, never heard it myself.  My go to recommendation is any older Oppo universal player.  You get the advantage of playing SACDs and DVD Audio discs as well as CDs that the Onkyo is limited to.  I use the old DV-970HD and it has kept on ticking well past my other, more expensive CDPs (knocking on wood here).  There's always a few of either this model or the next series 980/981 on eBay for $50 or so.

Letitroll a little OT, but when you play SACD the signal outputs through the analogue out correct and it plays in either stereo or Pro logic depending on how it is encoded?  Just curious as I can use either my Playstation for SACD in my secondary HT or as you say buy a cheap old Oppo for Blue Ray mostly or SACD audio in 5.1.

StereoNut

« Reply #9 on: 18 Feb 2014, 02:42 pm »
Thanks, everyone!  That Best Buy Sony looks promising.  The good news is you've provided me things to think about, the bad news is now I have to make a decision!  :lol:

StereoNut

« Reply #10 on: 18 Feb 2014, 02:52 pm »
I'm leaning towards new, because I'm afraid of laser life of a used unit. (I wouldn't hesitate on any other used audio component, considering most of everything else I own has been bought used!)

Decisions, decisions!

SN

mvwine

« Reply #11 on: 18 Feb 2014, 10:08 pm »
I can vouch for the Onkyo C-7030. I am using it a as a transport into my Scott Nixon DAC. It is a well made mid-fi single CD player, the kind that everybody used to make, but are hard to find now.

As far as using a DVD player, I had always heard that the laser was not optimized for CD, and therefore not preferable. Am I mistaken?

StereoNut

« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2014, 12:46 am »
I decided to give the Onkyo C-7030 a try.  It was $159.50 on Amazon and I had a $25.00 gift card from Christmas, so it ended up being $134.50 with free shipping.  We'll see how this works out.

Thanks everyone!

SN

2gumby2

« Reply #13 on: 19 Feb 2014, 12:12 pm »
I just ordered an Onkyo C-7030 from Amazon as well. I'm giving some thought to getting a Ross Martin DAC and I think the Onkyo would make a good transport.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 19 Feb 2014, 12:32 pm »
Letitroll a little OT, but when you play SACD the signal outputs through the analogue out correct and it plays in either stereo or Pro logic depending on how it is encoded?  Just curious as I can use either my Playstation for SACD in my secondary HT or as you say buy a cheap old Oppo for Blue Ray mostly or SACD audio in 5.1.

My old Oppo converts to PCM before analog out so it's not ideal for SACD, for digital out you can pick RAW or PCM.  The universal player gives a lot of options, but if you're playing only redbook ceedees my experience is CDPs can sound better when used as transports.  So it's a trade-off based on your needs.  The op getting the Onkyo sounds like a wise decision.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #15 on: 19 Feb 2014, 04:37 pm »
I decided to give the Onkyo C-7030 a try.  It was $159.50 on Amazon and I had a $25.00 gift card from Christmas, so it ended up being $134.50 with free shipping.  We'll see how this works out.

Thanks everyone!

SN

Good enough for what your doing. Enjoy !!!

charles

mjosef

« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb 2014, 04:52 am »
The universal player gives a lot of options, but if you're playing only redbook ceedees my experience is CDPs can sound better when used as transports.

As far as using a DVD player, I had always heard that the laser was not optimized for CD, and therefore not preferable. Am I mistaken?

Maybe...Maybe. Since the OP is looking for a CD player/transport to feed his EE DAC, it would be advisable to compare the CD player direct and via the DAC. I have a CA Azure 540 cd player and a Yamaha DVD/SACD/DVD-A S1800, I got the best (to me)sound via the Yamaha direct to the pre. The CA has a dark sound, weighed towards the bass with a soft top, via the EE DAC the balance I prefer was restored, but the Yamaha(a DVD player) has the best sound direct. And my EE DAC has upgrades to the OPAmps, vol. pot bypassed,  multi-voltage  box removed, built in Felix conditioning and assorted damping putty applied to the electro. caps.

SO don't just assume the EE DAC will trump the built in DAC in the components.

StereoNut

« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2014, 10:42 pm »
....don't just assume the EE DAC will trump the built in DAC in the components.

Once I get the Onkyo here I will try it out both ways.  Time will tell.  :thumb:

StereoNut

« Reply #18 on: 25 Feb 2014, 01:10 am »
Update 2/24/14:

I've got the Onkyo CD player hooked up to my office system directly, without the EE Minimax DAC right now.

• Little Dot Mk.III Headphone amp as Pre-amp
 • BK ST-140 Amp
 • NHT Super One speakers

Only have about 10 hours on it, so far.  Sounds pretty decent, but not the greatest!  I've not heard this much bass from the Super Ones ever, but the bass is very "bloated" and undefined.

I am going to try and give it some more hours and see (hear) if the bass tightens up any.  Eventually, I will route it through the EE Minimax DAC and see what the differences are.

Stay tuned! :thumb:

SN