Help me pick a 2ch amp

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Help me pick a 2ch amp
« Reply #20 on: 29 Nov 2003, 02:12 am »
I have both (the fetvalve in my 2 channel setup, and the Omegastar in my HT).  It is definitely worth the exra $$, especially now with the "R" upgrade included in the standard price.  They are not physically pretty, but damn they sound good.  JMHO, of course.

jackman

Help me pick a 2ch amp
« Reply #21 on: 29 Nov 2003, 02:50 am »
I agree with Tyson.  The only reason not to step up to the Fetvalve is budget.  The Fetvalve is an excellent performer, it has a very smooth and accurate top end (not colored like some tube amps) and has plenty of juice to power your speakers.  If your budget only allows you to get the amp and, as a result, you are forced to use a low-end preamp, I'd suggest looking at an Omega and a T6 preamp.  The preamp is very important and the synergy of an AVA amp/preamp is something that may warrant your consideration.  

I listened to an Omegastar 440 amp and thought it sounded pretty darn good.  Tyson is correct about the power supply upgrade.  It really takes the Fetvalve and the Transcendance preamps to another level.  Just get whatever your budget allows you to get.  AVA has a really good return policy so there is minimal risk.  

Lastly, AVA is one of the last of a (sadly) disappearing breed: independently owned, American electronic companies that actually designs and manufactures their products in the USA.  It's pretty cool when you can call to discuss your products with the guy who owns the company, designs the products, coordinates the in-house production, answers the phone, makes the coffee, etc.  Frank knows his products better than any manufacturer I have ever met.  Unlike companies like Levinston, Red Rose, etc., the Van Alstine name actually means something.  Maybe I'm crazy, but that means something to me.  

Jack[/b]

Rocket

amp recommendations
« Reply #22 on: 29 Nov 2003, 11:03 am »
hi zybar,

well the amp can be built in the usa but designed in oz  :) .

actually i didn't even build my amp.  hugh built and tested my amp boards and power supply and a local friend assembled the amp for me.  

i didn't solder a thing.  pretty slack hey.

the amp is quite good and it looks like there is going to be a shootout between the ampzilla and aksa 100 (nirvana) which ribbonspeakers.net has instigated it.  btw the aksa replaced my n.e.w. dc-66 battery amp in my system.

anyway zybar make sure you listen to the amp in your system if you can.  i read so many different interpretations of different products all the time that i get confused.  just look at the mensa, ack dack and scott nixon dacs.  there are so many differing opinions that i'm totally confused   :roll:

regards

rocket

ps don't listen to us trust your ears.

JohnR

Help me pick a 2ch amp
« Reply #23 on: 30 Nov 2003, 12:05 am »
Hello again. Those of you who were reading this thread and wish to continue the direction it went off on can find it in the Fight Club. Please keep any additional posts in this thread helpful and germane to the topic.

Thanks!

JohnR (Starting Block facilitator)

jackman

Help me pick a 2ch amp
« Reply #24 on: 30 Nov 2003, 12:10 am »
hi zybar,

well the amp can be built in the usa but designed in oz  .

actually i didn't even build my amp. hugh built and tested my amp boards and power supply and a local friend assembled the amp for me.

i didn't solder a thing. pretty slack hey.

the amp is quite good and it looks like there is going to be a shootout between the ampzilla and aksa 100 (nirvana) which ribbonspeakers.net has instigated it. btw the aksa replaced my n.e.w. dc-66 battery amp in my system.

anyway zybar make sure you listen to the amp in your system if you can. i read so many different interpretations of different products all the time that i get confused. just look at the mensa, ack dack and scott nixon dacs. there are so many differing opinions that i'm totally confused  

I agree with your comments.  I also have no doubt that AKSA amps are extremely high performers and some of the best values in all of audioland (if you know how to solder things together).  If this guy knows how to solder or at least has a friend who will help him out, AKSA would be an excellent suggestion.  I never met an AKSA owner who wasn't in love with his gear (including my friend Blizzard in Jersey)!  

Jman

jacknife

Help me pick a 2ch amp
« Reply #25 on: 30 Nov 2003, 05:12 am »
whew...I didn't realize picking an amp could be such a volitile topic :lol:

My short list contains Odyssey and AVA.  I have no interest at this point of putting my lackluster soldering skills to work so Aksa is out for now.  I sure wish I could audition these amps side by side.  My desire is to purchase a great sounding, high quality amp that I'll be happy with for years to come.  

For me, it is an important part of the decesion of where the product is made.  If a product made by my neighbors in Minnesota or Indiana are as good or better than the competing product made overseas then I feel strongly in supporting my neighbors first even if it might cost a bit more.

Rocket

amp recommendations
« Reply #26 on: 30 Nov 2003, 08:36 am »
Hi Jackknife,

Looks like you have narrowed it down to odyssey and ava amps.

I guess you could also consider the new Channel Islands monoblocks for $1000us as well.

Good Luck

regards

rocket

ps if you can find an aleph 3 they are great.

jacknife

Help me pick a 2ch amp
« Reply #27 on: 30 Nov 2003, 02:16 pm »
I guess you could also consider the new Channel Islands monoblocks for $1000us as well.

Those do look interesting, I'm a little concerned about the 40 watt power rating.  Are they really comparable to AVA or Odyssey's 125-150 watts?