Integrated amp + pair of speakers under $400?

gastro54

« on: 2 Nov 2003, 04:04 pm »
hey, im new to thwe world of hifi speakers, but have been using hifi headphones for some time.  Would you guys have any recommendation for an integrated amplifier and a pair of speakers for under $400? They will be used in my small bedroom.

EDIT o yea, my source is a NEC external cdrom drive and a ART DI/O unmodded (as of now :) )

_scotty_

« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2003, 08:37 pm »
gastro54, you could go to dealtime.com and pickup a Panasonic XR25 or XR45 for about $225.00 see thread on Two-channel Audio circle http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=4991 and then try to find some loudspeakers for cheap.
I don't know what is out there for almost nothing when it comes to speakers.

Galactus

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2003, 08:46 pm »
This topic may get more replies in the Starting Block, so I have moved it.

Welcome to Audio Circle, gastro54.

Galactus

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2003, 08:58 pm »
HiFi? Not sure you can really get all this for under $400!

But...

For low cost quality speakers I would look at the nOrh 3.0 drums or prisms. The drums went like hotcakes at the last Midwest Audio Fest.

$195 - $250

The "SE 9 is a Class A Single Ended (SE) integrated stereo tube amplifier "

$399

Thats probably as close to hifi for cheap as you can get - unless you go used. You could spend more on speakers and get the ceramic 4.0s for $400/pair

gastro54

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2003, 09:14 pm »
ok, thanks for the replies, it is possible for mme to expand my budget, i dont want to buy inadequate speakers and then have to upgrade from them soon after i buy them.

duff138

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2003, 09:32 pm »
check out the Axiom m2 speakers $255.  great reviews. try to get factory blemished for less.

Cambridge Audio
A300 50-Watt-Per-Channel Integrated Amplifier $200

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2003, 09:36 pm »
Would you consider buying used?  You'll have better luck finding something in that price range used.

I don't think you can get "audiophile approved" sound for that price, but you should be able to get something musical.  You may possibly get a used NAD or Onyx int amp for around $200, or a Pioneer Elite model.  There are a few $200 bookshelf speakers that you might like (I always thought that JBL's HLS-610s were pretty nice for $200-they're discontinued but you can probably find a pair).  Also, Best Buy carries the Athena line: they make some bookshelf models you can get at around that price.

More realistic might be $600-$750, but of course at any higher price points you'll give yourself more options.

gastro54

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2003, 09:41 pm »
I am impressed by the norh website, it looks like these people put a lot of time into designing these speakers, (also looks like the company is run by some Thais, [very cool b/c i am thai haha] )

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #8 on: 2 Nov 2003, 10:56 pm »
Quote from: gastro54
ok, thanks for the replies, it is possible for mme to expand my budget, i dont want to buy inadequate speakers and then have to upgrade from them soon after i buy them.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Just laughing at that statement. My friend, you are in the wrong place if you don't want to upgrade speakers  :lol:

What happens to most audiophiles is that once they hear how good things sound ("the veil has been lifted, etc") with their new speakers, they hear better speakers, and then their budget magically increases. You really have to say to yourself ", I know I won't have the ultimate speakers, but how much can I really afford, to get what I can live with for a while".  Then just hope "a while" is really a while and start making that extra money...

gastro54

« Reply #9 on: 3 Nov 2003, 12:12 am »
lol i know what ur talking about... i spent about $1000 on headphones sources, DACs, AMps within thefirst month of discovering Head-fi.org

duff138

« Reply #10 on: 3 Nov 2003, 12:30 am »
Quote from: gastro54
lol i know what ur talking about... i spent about $1000 on headphones sources, DACs, AMps within thefirst month of discovering Head-fi.org

what are you using for a headphone amp?  I keep flipping back and forth on whether to get a headphone amp or a DAC.  Eventually I'll want both of coarse, just don't know what to get first.
  I just picked up a NEC on Ebay.  I want a good transport when I start auditioning DAC's

gastro54

« Reply #11 on: 3 Nov 2003, 01:25 am »
using a transportable meta42 with these specs: META 42 PCB, Nichicon 470uF 35V PS caps, 1% metal film resitors, AD 8620 OP AMP(socketed), WIMA 6.8uF reservoir caps, Elantec 2001 buffers (5)(socketed and stacked), Biased to class "A", Alps Blue Velvet Pot, Machined aluminium knob, Switchcraft mini jacks, High quality mini toggle switch, Blue LED, 2x9V battery power (parallel), Black serpac H67 9V case (4.94X2.75X1.28")

EDIT: im also willing to try DIY speaker kits, any  thoughts on those?

Piece-it pete

If a remote isn't an issue...
« Reply #12 on: 5 Nov 2003, 01:50 pm »
I'd consider an old H/K 630, 730, 830, or 930 receiver, 30 to 45 "real" watts per channel, & a pair of old KLH Model 6s' - a little light on the top & bottom end but amazing midrange & excellent bedroom speakers.

All available via ebay (though you'll have to look - they come up on a fairly regularly basis),  & well within your budget (probably $300 or less total).

And you get the bonus of watching your audiophile friends weeping over the sound you've got for the money.  :cry:

Pete