DIRECT TO DISC?

BillG

DIRECT TO DISC?
« on: 24 Feb 2020, 08:24 pm »
I am a new here so sorry if this has been asked. How many of you have any direct to disc LP's...I have only 2 and at the time they were pricey via 1980's/90's era.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: DIRECT TO DISC?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2020, 09:02 pm »
I've got  a dozen or maybe two.  In general, they are excellent pressings... and yes, at the time they were released, they were pretty pricey. 

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2020, 01:25 am »
I had a few back in the day.  I remember them being generally excellent. :D

Oh, and anyone remember DBX records? Those were pretty sweet too. :thumb:

EkW

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2020, 02:17 am »
I ahve a few. My favorite is a flamenco record. If you have a wood floor and boots it is great fun to compare live to recorded. On of my others needs to go into a record flattening device. The outer grooves are especially difficult to play. The hardest part of direct to disk records is finding recording of music that you like. The selection is pretty limited. I think Soundsmith has a link to a variety of direct to disc recordings that benefit a charity.

puroagave

• Former audio snob.
« Reply #4 on: 25 Feb 2020, 02:43 am »
I ahve a few. My favorite is a flamenco record. If you have a wood floor and boots it is great fun to compare live to recorded. On of my others needs to go into a record flattening device. The outer grooves are especially difficult to play. The hardest part of direct to disk records is finding recording of music that you like. The selection is pretty limited. I think Soundsmith has a link to a variety of direct to disc recordings that benefit a charity.

you're referring to the M&K Flamenco Fever LP, do you know what it fetches nowadays? Clean copies regularly sell on ebay for $250+

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2020, 04:43 am »
There are a couple of that flamenco album on ebay for $3-400. 
Other than that, there are several hundred available from $10-20... many of which are good buys.  Most people that paid the premium for a direct to disc lp took good care of it. 

padam

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2020, 03:16 am »
I’ve been giving me D2D records a listen lately and have been selling them off.  I have noticed the drums, in particular, sound excellent on almost all D2D albums.