Introducing ApplePi DAC -- Highest Performance Raspberry Pi DAC

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
Re: GALA DAC
« Reply #120 on: 2 Dec 2018, 03:56 pm »
I have received a lot of feedback that USB would be a feature people would like to see.

Now GALA is available with USB. You will be able to use it as it it had USB built in.

I am packaging it with a USB to S/Pdif converter. It will support upto 24-bit 192kHz. Performance is unaffected.

Check it out:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gala-ultra-high-performance-stereo-dac/reft/19247162/audiocircle

Samoyed

« Reply #121 on: 2 Dec 2018, 06:44 pm »
I use Tidal masters with a blue sound node 2. I’d like to by pass the built in DAC, and am considering yours.

Why is usb important-I’m new to all this.

Do I need usb to use mqs with your DAC and the Bluesound node #?

Thanks

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #122 on: 3 Dec 2018, 12:55 pm »
I use Tidal masters with a blue sound node 2. I’d like to by pass the built in DAC, and am considering yours.

Why is usb important-I’m new to all this.

Do I need usb to use mqs with your DAC and the Bluesound node #?

Thanks

You will not need USB with the Blue Sound Node 2. Just connect directly to GALA using the coax out plug. MQA is supported through the Node 2.

GALA's performance is much better than the built in DACs.
130dB vs 110dB for SNR
0.0004% vs 0.005% for THD+N

Computers typically only have USB no spdif.

Samoyed

« Reply #123 on: 3 Dec 2018, 01:07 pm »
I’m not sure I understand. I’d like to by pass the Bluesound DAC. So, are you saying mqa unfolding would occur in the Bluesound, then the signal would continue to your DAC, and then to my integrated amp, and mqa is preserved?

Thanks

audio.bill

« Reply #124 on: 3 Dec 2018, 02:21 pm »
Using the Bluesound Node's digital output to an external DAC will provide you with MQA Core (first unfold) decoding. If the external DAC supports MQA rendering then you will get full MQA decoding.

Samoyed

« Reply #125 on: 3 Dec 2018, 02:41 pm »
Thanks!

So, it’s up to Gala to explain.... :popcorn:

audio.bill

« Reply #126 on: 3 Dec 2018, 03:09 pm »
Thanks!

So, it’s up to Gala to explain.... :popcorn:
Since in their details it states "Support for upstream MQA decode" I don't think the Gala DAC provides any MQA decoding functionality, but will support MQA Core (the first unfold only) provided from the upstream Bluesound Node's digital output. That would be my understanding, hope it helps!

Samoyed

« Reply #127 on: 3 Dec 2018, 03:49 pm »
Thanks. So, and I’m guessing, one would NOT get full mqa with this DAC and the node 2....

audio.bill

« Reply #128 on: 3 Dec 2018, 08:43 pm »
Not unless they confirm the Gala DAC can perform MQA rendering (or full MQA decoding), but that's not my understanding given the details they've provided.

Samoyed

« Reply #129 on: 3 Dec 2018, 09:19 pm »
Thanks!  So what does this DAC do with, or for mqa?

audio.bill

« Reply #130 on: 3 Dec 2018, 09:30 pm »
I think repeating myself, but apparently it only supports MQA Core decoding if that is performed by the server upstream. It doesn't appear to do any MQA decoding or rendering itself, unless they claim otherwise but not from what I see in the details they've provided. Gala should kindly respond to confirm.

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #131 on: 5 Dec 2018, 03:25 pm »
In my understanding the Node 2 is already doing full mqa decode. The coaxial output from it will be fully supported by GALA.

GALA only supports SPDIF coaxial input. The Node 2 should be doing what ever is needed to output a signal that is 100% S/Pdif compliant.

Edit:
I have been reading the Node 2 manual and I am convinced GALA will work with the Node 2's coaxial output.

So this is what you would do:
Node 2 --> coax --> GALA --> power amplifier or powered speakers

Samoyed

« Reply #132 on: 5 Dec 2018, 04:05 pm »
?

So, your thought is that the digital output from the node 2 would be fully unfolded mqa, and that your DAC would pass this on to my integrated as a fully unfolded mqa signal?

audio.bill

« Reply #133 on: 5 Dec 2018, 07:53 pm »
I'm sorry to report that your understanding is incorrect. The Node 2 provides full MQA decoding only from its analog outputs, but its digital outputs only provide MQA Core (first unfold) decoding. This limitation is actually determined by MQA's own design, since the final stage of decoding (also referred to as MQA Rendering) is DAC specific. A digital output cannot provide a fully MQA decoded signal, since the MQA Rendering portion is DAC specific and has to be uniquely implemented for each different DAC. Please don't shoot the messenger! I'm not saying that the GALA DAC won't work from the Node's digital output, only that the resultant output of the GALA DAC will not be fully MQA decoded and will only benefit from MQA Core's first unfold.

Samoyed

« Reply #134 on: 5 Dec 2018, 08:42 pm »
Thanks. I’m out.

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #135 on: 5 Dec 2018, 09:47 pm »
I'm sorry to report that your understanding is incorrect. The Node 2 provides full MQA decoding only from its analog outputs, but its digital outputs only provide MQA Core (first unfold) decoding. This limitation is actually determined by MQA's own design, since the final stage of decoding (also referred to as MQA Rendering) is DAC specific. A digital output cannot provide a fully MQA decoded signal, since the MQA Rendering portion is DAC specific and has to be uniquely implemented for each different DAC. Please don't shoot the messenger! I'm not saying that the GALA DAC won't work from the Node's digital output, only that the resultant output of the GALA DAC will not be fully MQA decoded and will only benefit from MQA Core's first unfold.

I don't think this is correct. Here is a quote directly from the Bluesound website:
"Bluesound Players are a full MQA playback solution. They will decode and render MQA playback up to 24/192. If however you are connecting an external DAC, the maximum output will be 24/96 and MQA processing is not happening in the DAC."

To me that says that it will work but the maximum output will be 24/96.

Also all non MQA content will work no problem.

audio.bill

« Reply #136 on: 5 Dec 2018, 11:12 pm »
We're in agreement that the Node's digital output will work with the GALA DAC for MQA or non-MQA files, but when the MQA maximum output will be 24/96 that indicates the first unfold of MQA only. If the DAC was able to provide the final MQA rendering (which again is DAC specific) then you would be getting full MQA decoding and up to 24/192 via MQA. The Node's DAC provides MQA rendering and that is what allows it to output up to 24/192 potential via MQA.

Samoyed

« Reply #137 on: 5 Dec 2018, 11:28 pm »
Yup, I’m out. I thought the inventor was an engineer....

orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #138 on: 5 Dec 2018, 11:36 pm »
We're in agreement that the Node's digital output will work with the GALA DAC for MQA or non-MQA files, but when the MQA maximum output will be 24/96 that indicates the first unfold of MQA only. If the DAC was able to provide the final MQA rendering (which again is DAC specific) then you would be getting full MQA decoding and up to 24/192 via MQA. The Node's DAC provides MQA rendering and that is what allows it to output up to 24/192 potential via MQA.

Yes I agree, but there is something else to consider. GALA's analog performance is way superior to the DAC that is inside the Node 2. So even though with MQA you will be limited to 96kHz. The performance will still be much better than internals DAC's at 192k.

Samoyed

« Reply #139 on: 5 Dec 2018, 11:46 pm »
Whose DAC does gala use?