ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

Marco Prozzo

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #1620 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:34 pm »
Do the Black Treasures seem like they have a long break in time?
I had one once, in a deHavilland pre-amp. It was nice, warm & rich, but lacking some clarity & detail but I may not have got them fully broke in before the pre-amp got sold.

I have got a set on order for my Transporter. I'm curious.

Unlike David, I found the BT's needed more time to stabilize than most tubes.  They went through some performance gymnastics in the first 200 hours or so, as I recall.  I would give them at least that long before making any judgments on them.  I might even stretch that to 300 hours if you still have doubts at that point because they are very good in that application.  I also found them to be among my favorites in the MWTP.  There were times in that break-in period where I would have rejected them outright.   Once they got through that early period of break-in they seemed to stabilize nicely.

dminches

« Reply #1621 on: 31 Jan 2011, 06:52 pm »
Wow, 200-300 hours.  I don't think I would have had that amount of patience.

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #1622 on: 31 Jan 2011, 07:35 pm »
Wow, 200-300 hours.  I don't think I would have had that amount of patience.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the MWTP circuit runs in Class A.  Leave it on 24/7 for 8-12 days and you're there. I'd throw in a cheap rectifier during that time so you don't put the same time on an EML or some other precious glass.   

sfig

« Reply #1623 on: 1 Feb 2011, 06:55 am »
My experience with breaking in the Treasures was similar to Marco's.  I also installed an inexpensive rectifier and left the tubes on to pass some of the idle break in time without the EML clocking the hours.

dminches

« Reply #1624 on: 12 Feb 2011, 03:12 am »
I have been rolling different tubes in my MWTP for the past couple of months.  What I am finding is that any of the 6SN7s that have a reputation for being "detailed" are not a good fit.  I find the sound too edgy and "digital".  My most recent experience with this are the Sylvania metal base 6SN7Ws.  These are supposed to be great tubes but I do not like them in the MWTP.

I think I am going to end up going back to the Black Treasures.

tomm

« Reply #1625 on: 12 Feb 2011, 05:10 am »
I have a set of Black Treasure with about 600 or less hours on it for sale. A nice looking pair.  =SOLD=

Grade A, their highest grade. Dark tint.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2011, 02:51 am by tomm »

vett93

« Reply #1626 on: 12 Feb 2011, 06:15 pm »
What rectifier tube are you using with the Sylvania 6SN7W? Maybe you can try some harmonic rich tubes for the rectifier and then let us know what you think?

Some people call it synergy between tubes. To me, I like to use complimentary tubes.

I have been rolling different tubes in my MWTP for the past couple of months.  What I am finding is that any of the 6SN7s that have a reputation for being "detailed" are not a good fit.  I find the sound too edgy and "digital".  My most recent experience with this are the Sylvania metal base 6SN7Ws.  These are supposed to be great tubes but I do not like them in the MWTP.

I think I am going to end up going back to the Black Treasures.

dminches

« Reply #1627 on: 12 Feb 2011, 07:49 pm »
Right now I am using an EML Mesh.  What would you recommend with the Sylvania 6SN7W?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1628 on: 12 Feb 2011, 09:32 pm »
Right now I am using an EML Mesh.  What would you recommend with the Sylvania 6SN7W?

I know that the BEL GZ34 sounds very good with the Sylvania 6SN7W, Tong-Sol RP's, and the Treasures.  In my system, I like it basically as much as the EML at a fraction of the price and with zero reliability issues.

Unfortunately, the place I bought mine from is out of stock right now (http://www.tubemonger.com/1970s_Bel_NOS_NIB_GZ34_5AR4_Philips_Mullard_OEM_p/3.htm), but you could always ping him and see when he will have more.

Good luck.

George

vett93

« Reply #1629 on: 18 Feb 2011, 05:10 am »
Can CV378 be used as the rectifier tube in MWTP?

JG2

« Reply #1630 on: 18 Feb 2011, 05:53 am »
"Can CV378 be used as the rectifier tube in MWTP?"

Yes. Quite a few members have used this rectifier with perhaps the best being the 'High Wycome' version.

mikel51

« Reply #1631 on: 20 Feb 2011, 06:17 pm »
I've been liking my old Sylvania Jan5u4G...also old tung sol's

Todd R

« Reply #1632 on: 3 Mar 2011, 05:27 pm »
Unlike David, I found the BT's needed more time to stabilize than most tubes.  They went through some performance gymnastics in the first 200 hours or so, as I recall.  I would give them at least that long before making any judgments on them.  I might even stretch that to 300 hours if you still have doubts at that point because they are very good in that application.  I also found them to be among my favorites in the MWTP.  There were times in that break-in period where I would have rejected them outright.   Once they got through that early period of break-in they seemed to stabilize nicely.

Marco,
How were the dynamics affected during break in?
Got my BT Tubes this week and they are smooth and sweet sounding and do bring out the occasional detail I hadn't heard before, but they sound "soft" lacking punch.

An example is Dean Peer's album Airborne (24/96). With the stock 6N1P tubes, the percussion on the first track really pops.
In fact it makes me jump every time, even though I know it's coming  :D
With the BT tubes, there is none of that. No jump, no pop. It's like they are playing with padded mallets.
I sure hope this improves.

vett93

« Reply #1633 on: 13 Mar 2011, 06:18 pm »
One of my preamps is 6922 based, a BAT VK-3iX, while the other is 6SN7 based, the Dude from TRL. The BAT preamp does sound more impactful with the 6922 tubes. However, the 6SN7 based Dude preamp has richer and more natural harmonics to my ears. Maybe the 6N1P is closer to 6992 family.

On the Transporter, my favorite combination is now Mullard GZ32 with RCA 5692 Redbase.

dminches

« Reply #1634 on: 13 Mar 2011, 08:16 pm »
I hear you about the RCA Red Base 5692s.  They are also my favorite in my MWTP (paired with a Tung Sol 5U4G).

dminches

« Reply #1635 on: 26 Apr 2011, 12:22 am »
Can one use an ECC32 in the MWTP?  Has anyone tried this and have any feedback?

RodneyMarion

« Reply #1636 on: 20 Aug 2011, 02:18 am »
I'm letting go of my Mullard GZ34 / 5AR4 Fatbase 1959 vacuum tube rectifier. Tubeworld says it is the best for audio, and has it listed used for over $300.00. I could only wish.
Ha, it is currently at $34.00 on ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/330601511017?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I have the original box as well. I really don't need it because I have a few of the metal base versions to play with.

Auction ends tomorrow though. Thanks in advance for bidding on it, I know someone will enjoy it.

Rodney

tomm

« Reply #1637 on: 24 Sep 2011, 04:39 am »
Here is my latest tube rolling experience with the Transporter: Type 83 for rectification and 6H8C for output.  These tubes are relatively cheap compared with other well known types.

What I found out was that at least for the type 83 tubes, that the sound is different with a different combined plate current value on the output tubes.   And I can hear a difference of sound with a change of .01mA of the combined plate currents of the output tubes. Example of tube configurations:

(out1 p1)           (out1 p2)
                                      x.xxmA              7.00mA  (combined = 14.68mA)
(Type 83 tube1)
                                    (out2 p1)            (out2 p2)
                                     7.68mA               x.xxmA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

x.xxmA              7.35mA  (combined = 14.69mA)
(Type 83 tube1)
                                     7.34mA               x.xxmA

x.xxmA are plates not being used by the Transporter.  If you switch the output tube's positions then those plates will be used instead.  In almost all cases, the combined values will be different between the two sets.  I don't know if the plate currents of all the plates are the same in the grade-A Black Treasure tube pair, or they are just very close between them.

A higher combined plate current value will have a more compressed sound.  A lot lower value will produce a some what a flabby sound.  One need to find a value that produces the sound you like, such that you will hear the sound of the string vibration of an instrument rather than more of a woody sound of the strike on the string.

I found GE, RCA, Sylvania brands of type 83 sounded similar, but they each take on a different ranges of combined plate current values of the output tubes.  The key is to find a good match of combined plate current of the output tubes to sound the best/right.  IT WOULD BE NICE IF THERE IS KNOB RIGHT AFTER THE OUTPUT TUBE TUBE-CIRCUIT ON THE TRANSPORTER SO THAT ONE CAN INCREASE/DECREASE THE CURRENT VALUE. Given two tubes of the same brand of type 83 tubes, each may need to use a different set of output tubes with different combined plate current values to sound the best.

Type 83 tubes have mercury vapor in side the glass, similar to fluorescence light bulbs & compact fluorescence light bulbs (the government is forcing everyone to use in the near future).  Mercury vapor will escape into the air if the glass is broken.  Mercury vapor is toxic.

jriggy

« Reply #1638 on: 24 Sep 2011, 01:55 pm »
 :o :o :o

Here is my latest tube rolling experience with the Transporter: Type 83 for rectification and 6H8C for output.  These tubes are relatively cheap compared with other well known types.

What I found out was that at least for the type 83 tubes, that the sound is different with a different combined plate current value on the output tubes.   And I can hear a difference of sound with a change of .01mA of the combined plate currents of the output tubes. Example of tube configurations:

x.xxmA              7.00mA  (combined = 14.68mA)
(Type 83 tube1)
                                     7.68mA               x.xxmA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

x.xxmA              7.35mA  (combined = 14.69mA)
(Type 83 tube1)
                                     7.34mA               x.xxmA

x.xxmA are plates not being used by the Transporter.  If you switch the output tube's positions then those plates will be used instead.  In almost all cases, the combined values will be different between the two sets.  I don't know if the plate currents of all the plates are the same in the grade-A Black Treasure tube pair, or they are just very close between them.

A higher combined plate current value will have a more compressed sound.  A lot lower value will produce a some what a flabby sound.  One need to find a value that produces the sound you like, such that you will hear the sound of the string vibration of an instrument rather than more of a woody sound of the strike on the string.

I found GE, RCA, Sylvania brands of type 83 sounded similar, but they each take on a different ranges of combined plate current values of the output tubes.  The key is to find a good match of combined plate current of the output tubes to sound the best/right.  IT WOULD BE NICE IF THERE IS KNOB RIGHT AFTER THE OUTPUT TUBE TUBE-CIRCUIT ON THE TRANSPORTER SO THAT ONE CAN INCREASE/DECREASE THE CURRENT VALUE. Given two tubes of the same brand of type 83 tubes, each may need to use a different set of output tubes with different combined plate current values to sound the best.

Type 83 tubes have mercury vapor in side the glass, similar to fluorescence light bulbs & compact fluorescence light bulbs (the government is forcing everyone to use in the near future).  Mercury vapor will escape into the air if the glass is broken.  Mercury vapor is toxic.

JG2

« Reply #1639 on: 12 Jan 2012, 05:04 pm »
I saw this 5U4G on E-Bay for very little $$$.  The top getter version of this tube is supposed to be a great rectifier although I have not tried one. The bottom getter version is common, but you don't see many with the top getter. The seller says it tests 'good', the getter flashing looks a bit thin but it may have a lot of life left in it.

I have no affiliation with this seller and I don't need any more tubes!

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11021.m45.l1123/7?euid=a310fb9a124a4cd5864ee2b0206c1118&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D270891216706%26ssPageName%3DADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123