Advice on Starting an Audiophile Music Appreciation Group

Bioman

I live in Central Texas; Woodway (Waco) which is midway between Dallas and Austin.  I am looking for advice on starting a group for the Central Texas area.  I would appreciate suggestions/experiences from anyone who has done this.  What worked well and what to avoid.  The goal would be to appeal to both audiophiles and music lovers in general as that might make for a broader base.

Any thoughts?

WGH

Re: Advice on Starting an Audiophile Music Appreciation Group
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2020, 04:20 pm »
I accidentally started the Tucson Audiophiles back in 2013 when I hosted a few informal demos of the wildly popular NCore amp and compared it to a Van Alstine Synergy 450. The first attendees were a mix of friends, word of mouth and AudioCircle members. We started gathering at other homes and then the Tucson Audiophiles Google Groups was formed so we could keep in touch.

To start a group you will need a reason for people to make room in their busy schedule for you, since at first you will be in charge. Later on that will change and the group will evolve/devolve in directions you never imagined. Luckily our group has evolved into a terrific group of friends. We loan equipment to each other, listen to new music, trade CD's and have casual comparisons, nothing beats trying out new electronics or cables in your own system and having a half dozen friends commenting. Every few months it is like a mini-RMAF without the cost.

Free Bar-B-Q, beer and whiskey is very helpful in starting a group too.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2020, 04:36 pm »
  Good advice WGH. As the former President of AudioSyndrome in NYC/LI for almost 20 years my advice is keep it simple. No Board of Directors, no Rules, no dues just simple and  fun.

charles

Bioman

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2020, 08:07 pm »
Part of what I am struggling with is how to get the word out.  I literally know no one who I could invite.  Craigslist, post at local record shops?  We have no audio stores as I am not in a metropolitan area, so that is out.  Any ideas?

One thought is to keep it more centered on music so people without elaborate audiophile gear would not be intimidated.  It seems like a good way to spread the hobby as it were.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2020, 08:50 pm »
Part of what I am struggling with is how to get the word out.  I literally know no one who I could invite.  Craigslist, post at local record shops?

Skip Craig's List unless you want to see your electronics and speakers for sale on Craig's List after you have been robbed. Thieves aren't that dumb you think?
When I first moved to Tucson in 1978 I rented a bedroom in a sketchy part of town. One of the neighbors told the story how they had been robbed of everything while at work, the thieves even took the phone. So they went next door and asked to use the phone, they glanced around while talking to the police and saw all their stuff piled up in the living room.

Talk to the record shop owner, he is the enthusiast, avoid the stoned guy behind the counter (unless they are the same).

A "Party Post" on AudioCircle may work, there are a lot more guests than registered users so you will probably need to add an email address so people can reach you.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2020, 09:13 pm »
I started an audio group in Ann Arbor about 20 years ago thru posting on various internet audio boards.  It grew to over 20 people meeting every other week or so.  When I moved away the group fell apart.  So the main ingredient seems to be someone who will do the gruntwork of organizing meetings and field trips and making sure everyone is in the loop via email.

Bioman

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2020, 09:49 pm »
OK, walk away from Craigslist, can do.  Post at record stores can do.  Party post can do!
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2020, 11:40 pm by Bioman »