A friend is building an addition to his home for HT.

EDS_

1. The room is about 28 by 21 (ID) with a very complex ceiling that will vary from 10 to 17 feet high!

2. The add is essentially its own building with a short hallway from the main house.

3. He wants me to help him direct the electrician to wire the room properly and to set up the audio for him. He has picked a very trick Sony overhead projector as video source.

4. He wants 5.1.

Here is what I think at the moment.

a. A second small J-box set in the garage for the analog in the audio room.
b. A run or two from the main box for lights, wall plugs etc.
c. A dedicated run from the main box for the digital stuff-CD, DVD etc.
d. Four dead-ends for the analog. Amps, pre amps etc. from the secondary J-box.

?......Do pre-processors have switching power supplies or not?

The audio budget is $10K-but it is not firm. And the electrical work is not part of the audio budget.

I'm thinking Audio Refinement amps, a mid-level Anthem processor (I think he needs DD II) and a Yam. or Denon Universal disk player, with maybe 5 of GR's Delucios (sp?-hopefully I can hear them this weekend!) and a sub. This will leave cash for some tweaks and conservative cables.

I heard the Totem DreamCatcher 5.1 speakers system this weekend. It is greatness at $1,700 bucks but likely not enough for this giant room.

All input is appreciated.

randytsuch

« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2003, 07:30 pm »
Hi EDS,
There are a lot of posts at the DIY forum of AA on running dedicated outlets, you might search over there for info.

You plan makes sense to me, I would have a dedicated outlet for digital, and a different run for analog, like you are suggesting.  I did not see any mention of video power (this is a HT room right  :wink: ).  Would this be a seperate run/outlet too?

If this was me, I would probably do two things.  Find 12 guage stranded THHN wire where all the strands are the same guage (Colonial wire and cable makes this, most of the others have different size strands).  I have talked to Stan Warren at length on this wire (he uses it for IC's, PC's and speaker cables), and this is what he looks for, so it would seem to make sense for dedicated power lines too.

But, even if you just use any THHN wire, I would get the wire cryo treated.  Somebody does it by the pound, so it would not be that much money.  I would also use nice (Acme, hubbel, pass&seymour, etc) cryo treated outlets too.

BTW, I wish I could build myself a dedicated HT/music room.  Must be nice  :mrgreen: .

Randy

EDS_

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2003, 08:35 pm »
randytsuch-
I forgot to mention the wire for the video source.

Cryo is a great idea for the wire/outlets.

The tip re. Colonial wire is greatly appreciated.

This guy is stupid wealthy.

Thanks again-------

HarleyMYK

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2003, 08:49 pm »
Even if he wants 5.1, I would wire for 7.1 -- that way if he later needs to spend more money, he can do so without ripping out the walls.

EDS_

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2003, 09:18 pm »
Quote from: HarleyMYK
Even if he wants 5.1, I would wire for 7.1 -- that way if he later needs to spend more money, he can do so without ripping out the walls.

Now that one I hadn't thought of-great idea!

randytsuch

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2003, 11:14 pm »
Quote from: EDS_

This guy is stupid wealthy.

A good quality to have in friends (if you can't have it yourself  :D ).

Randy

EDS_

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2003, 03:26 am »
The best part is .....when he comes over here to listen he brings a bottle of Chivas.

Randy what kind of DIY pre-amp do you have?