DirecTV, DISH Network question

Ernest

« on: 31 May 2003, 01:13 am »
I recently bought a widescreen Sony Wega TV and am looking to get some better input options.  Do either DirecTV or Dish provide higher res inputs?

Thanks,

Ernest

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2003, 02:36 am »
Ernest,

Both Dish and DirecTV offer HDTV outputs but I don't think either of them have any input's other than the dish feed.

I have the Dish 6000 receiver and it has both component and RGBHV outputs for high def. Of course they provide composite and s-video output as well.

Not sure if this answers your question or not.  :?

Mike

PeteG

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2003, 03:47 am »
Ernest,

There are new DirecTV receivers that's out now that have enhanced upconverters with a DVI output.

I'm sure your Sony is DVI-HDTV equipped.

-Pete

Ernest

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2003, 05:30 am »
Sorry, I meant to say do they have higher res outputs that I can have as input to my TV.  My TV does s-video and component video and supports HDTV.

So with one of those services I could use my component video inputs and get at least DVD quality?

Thanks guys,

Ernest

PeteG

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2003, 09:25 pm »
Ernert,
It depends on what receiver you get both DirecTV & Dish has
receivers with component out.

I could use my component video inputs and get at least DVD quality?

The PQ isn't that bad, but nowhere near DVD quality.

-Pete

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2003, 09:56 pm »
On the HDTV channels the video output is considerably better than DVD. In particular Discovery HD Cinema is simply stunning. HBO and Showtime vary, some movies are very good while others are just OK.

Unfortunately there aren't very many HD channels (3 or 4 full time) on Dish network. I believe DirecTV has a similar amount available, but not sure.

Pete, I noticed your STI avatar. Did you go out and buy a new WRX STI? If so, how do you like it? I had 17lbs of boost on my WRX and it flew. :D

Mike

shokunin

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2003, 02:28 am »
If you have an HDTV receiver from either dish or directv they should have the ability to output to 1080i or 720p and use the component output to your Wega.  Most STB's will upconvert 480i material to 1080i so that you have only one connection between your Satellite receiver and your TV.  Component, VGA/HD15, and DVI all have the ability to transfer HDTV material, s-video and composite are limited to 480i.