About Astron LS-10a power supply issue....

mcgarick

About Astron LS-10a power supply issue....
« on: 23 Dec 2010, 05:15 am »
Greetings

I've purchased an Astron LS-10a power supply, used.
I hooked it up to the Virtue amp and it works fine and really makes the amp sing.
I understand there were some issues with these power supplies, mine was made in 2000, I called

Astron to see if there were any recalls on this serial #  they said "no"

Are there any safeguards or concerns I should be aware of while using this PS with my amp?

Would it do any good to have a fuse put on the power cord to the Virtue??

Any and all comments welcome.

ZLS

Re: About Astron LS-10a power supply issue....
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2010, 05:21 am »
    I am using an Astron Power Supply with my Sensation, and have not had any problems. 
Just be sure to turn off the amp first before you turn off the Astron, otherwise the amp has to be reset. 
    Power cords make a difference in the sound, and surprisingly, what the Astron sits on will also effect the sound. 

mcgarick

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2010, 03:46 am »
Nobody else?

dboulet

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2010, 04:06 pm »
I had purchased an Astron last year, and I did experience issues, but these were immediately obvious, right out of the box. The unit would blow fuses within 30 seconds of being turned on, and I was forced to send it back right away. If you're not experiencing these issues, then I wouldn't be too concerned—many people have nothing but good things to say about the Astron.

ltr317

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2010, 06:35 pm »
Seth sent me a loaner Sensation M451 with the Astron ps earlier this year, and as soon as I turned the Astron on, it started smoking and then blew up!  He instructed me to send the ps back to the manufacturer, and they repaired it.  It seems Astron installed the wrong caps with this production run.  It has worked flawlessly since the repair.  I liked the combo so much I ended up buying both the Sensation and Astron.  You have an older Astron, so I think you have the right size caps.  I have not heard of any other problems with the ps.   

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2010, 09:27 am »
Yip... I had a heart attack over that supply and it turned out to be... the supplies.  A bad production run from Astron.  They apologized to me but I yanked the unit.  Those who have it swear by it.  You can buy it elsewhere if you want it.  I'm through with them for a now.

mcgarick

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2010, 07:08 pm »

I wonder what the Virtue amp puts out connected up to it? How many watts?

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2010, 09:58 pm »

I wonder what the Virtue amp puts out connected up to it? How many watts?

the wattage wont change at 30 volts, the idea behind a PSU with more current output is that it will have much more control and "strength" and can drive less efficient speakers with more authority.