LAAS 2017 - Show Coverage Thread

Vinnie R.

LAAS 2017 - Show Coverage Thread
« on: 4 Jun 2017, 02:52 am »
Hello from LAAS 2017!  8)

I'll be sure to post more next week after the show, but I wanted to take the time now to upload a few pictures from our exhibit suite:

FINALLY - I have a spacious exhibit room (I jumped in early on reserving a full-sized sweet), and the LIO DHT Integrated (with X1 Amp module)
+ Spatial Audio X1's + Paul Speltz's ANTICABLES are sounding incredibly good together!  They really can DO IT ALL!   :singing: :drums: :guitar: :rock: :singing:

Hopefully some AC members who had the opportunity to listen will post their impressions soon enough, and I'll be sure to update this thread
with show coverage as it becomes available!

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2017, 12:33 am by Vinnie R. »

TimS

Re: LAAS 2017 - Show Coverage Thread
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2017, 06:32 am »
Here's a brief (but good!) mention from the audiobeatnik site:
"I mentioned in the day one pictures that the Spatial Red Wine room was one of the two best that I heard that day. I found the room hard to photograph because of the lighting, but here’s the best I could do. The quality of my picture doesn’t do justice to the quality of the sound."

http://theaudiobeatnik.com/index.php/2017/06/03/la-audio-show-day-two-part-one

av_passion

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2017, 06:27 pm »
The sound in the Vinnie Rossi/Spatial Audio room was superb.  I knew it was a good sign when as soon as I walked in I started to relax, my toe started tapping and depending on the recording, when you closed your eyes the room walls would drop away and you would swear the musicians were in the room.  The sound was organic, effortless, integrated from top to bottom with crisp, clear bass, massive sound stage and no room resonances.  Given the wonderful sound, I found the sparse, simple elegance of the system even more astonishing and it still leaves me marveling as it was a stark contrast to every other room at the show that I visited.  There were no massive, acoustically isolating racks of DAC's, preamps, and power conditioners, no monster amps sitting in the middle of the floor between the speakers, no cables the size of fire hoses connecting the various pieces of equipment, no acoustic panels and sound tuning devices cluttering the room, just a small laptop running Roon, Vinnie's Lio, and Clayton's X-1's connected by some very thin, unobtrusive cables.   It sounded great in both halves of the the room even though the suite had two divider walls partially separating one portion of the room from the other.  The quality of the sound was the purist testimony to the quality of the design, materials and synergies of each component.  Astonishing!

This is a system that anyone could aspire to build and continually evolve.  Start with Vinnie's simplest Lio configuration and upgrade the Lio as time and funds permit with no investment cost penalty.  Given it's simplistic, minimalist beauty, it is a system that would be welcome in almost any home by any significant other and where one could be content remaining forever within the ecosystem that Vinnie has created.

Just as importantly if not more so than the system, was the opportunity to speak with Clayton and Vinnie.  You will never meet two nicer, more down-to-earth guys than these two who are also brilliant, passionate, visionaries.  It was simply a joy to sit and talk with them.

Lastly, this visit fully convinced me that this is what audio, as an industry, should aspire to be.  Simple, elegant, sparse, unobtrusive systems that can evolve with time, designed, created and serviced by quality people, that always leaves the music to stand alone with no apologies or caveats needed.

CSI

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2017, 09:18 pm »
I was very pleased when I fired up my iMac and saw the recently-posted pics of Vinnie and Clayton's LAAS room. I had just stepped out of my dedicated listening room where I was enjoying the same system. Well not exactly the same. My Spatial Holograms are the entry level M4s and I only have a single run of Anticables. My LIO budget ran out at the AVC/Tube stage - alas, no DHT. My room is not spacious - its a lousy sounding 10' x 10' spare bedroom. But for all that, I've got the right audio DNA and the sound is magical and musical. For less than $9K, as well. And when that lottery ticket pays off I know exactly what I'm buying.
« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2017, 02:25 am by CSI »

targa02

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2017, 05:02 am »
Hi AV Passion.  I could not have said it better myself.  The simplicity of the Vinnie Rossi/Spatial system is remarkable.  No worries about dirty AC power,  reduced interconnect count and significantly lower number of boxes is a welcomed solution for me and my wife.  But what is this increased simplicity worth if it does not sound good?  Well, as av passion states, it does sound good, very good.  The system is detailed, but relaxing, effortless, sounds good at low volume levels and high and the soundstage is the best I have ever heard.  The width and definition
were fantastic and the depth was like nothing I have ever heard  - amazing!  The system embarrassed most rooms with higher MSRP.

I already had a deposit down on the Spatial X1 and now I am in the process of buying Vinnie's Lio.  I am very excited.

BTW, i have no financial connection to Vinnie Rossi or Clayton Shaw. They are both great guys.  I have known Clayton for years and have owned several of his products. 

The sound in the Vinnie Rossi/Spatial Audio room was superb.  I knew it was a good sign when as soon as I walked in I started to relax, my toe started tapping and depending on the recording, when you closed your eyes the room walls would drop away and you would swear the musicians were in the room.  The sound was organic, effortless, integrated from top to bottom with crisp, clear bass, massive sound stage and no room resonances.  Given the wonderful sound, I found the sparse, simple elegance of the system even more astonishing and it still leaves me marveling as it was a stark contrast to every other room at the show that I visited.  There were no massive, acoustically isolating racks of DAC's, preamps, and power conditioners, no monster amps sitting in the middle of the floor between the speakers, no cables the size of fire hoses connecting the various pieces of equipment, no acoustic panels and sound tuning devices cluttering the room, just a small laptop running Roon, Vinnie's Lio, and Clayton's X-1's connected by some very thin, unobtrusive cables.   It sounded great in both halves of the the room even though the suite had two divider walls partially separating one portion of the room from the other.  The quality of the sound was the purist testimony to the quality of the design, materials and synergies of each component.  Astonishing!

This is a system that anyone could aspire to build and continually evolve.  Start with Vinnie's simplest Lio configuration and upgrade the Lio as time and funds permit with no investment cost penalty.  Given it's simplistic, minimalist beauty, it is a system that would be welcome in almost any home by any significant other and where one could be content remaining forever within the ecosystem that Vinnie has created.

Just as importantly if not more so than the system, was the opportunity to speak with Clayton and Vinnie.  You will never meet two nicer, more down-to-earth guys than these two who are also brilliant, passionate, visionaries.  It was simply a joy to sit and talk with them.

Lastly, this visit fully convinced me that this is what audio, as an industry, should aspire to be.  Simple, elegant, sparse, unobtrusive systems that can evolve with time, designed, created and serviced by quality people, that always leaves the music to stand alone with no apologies or caveats needed.

guf

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2017, 07:10 am »
Hi AV Passion.  I could not have said it better myself.  The simplicity of the Vinnie Rossi/Spatial system is remarkable.  No worries about dirty AC power,  reduced interconnect count and significantly lower number of boxes is a welcomed solution for me and my wife.  But what is this increased simplicity worth if it does not sound good?  Well, as av passion states, it does sound good, very good.  The system is detailed, but relaxing, effortless, sounds good at low volume levels and high and the soundstage is the best I have ever heard.  The width and definition
were fantastic and the depth was like nothing I have ever heard  - amazing!  The system embarrassed most rooms with higher MSRP.

I already had a deposit down on the Spatial X1 and now I am in the process of buying Vinnie's Lio.  I am very excited.

BTW, i have no financial connection to Vinnie Rossi or Clayton Shaw. They are both great guys.  I have known Clayton for years and have owned several of his products.

I want to come hear your set up!  I'm getting the LIO too!

targa02

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jun 2017, 01:00 pm »
[/quote]

Hi Guf!  You are certainly welcome to come over as soon as I get it.  I think you will love the Lio.  IMHO (and many others), it is a revolutionary product.

TimS

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jun 2017, 07:29 pm »
Hi targa02

Do you already have the X1's?  If so, how are you amping them at the moment?

Hi Guf!  You are certainly welcome to come over as soon as I get it.  I think you will love the Lio.  IMHO (and many others), it is a revolutionary product.

targa02

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jun 2017, 09:03 pm »
Hi Tim.  I do not yet have my X1's, but I have put down my deposit. 

Vinnie R.

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2017, 12:31 am »
All,

I'm finally back home from the LAAS2017!  I have to catch up on many emails and phone calls this week, so
thank you for your patience during this busy time for me.

targa02, TimS, guf, av_passion, CSI... thank you for your posts! 

We were very pleased with how everything turned out for this show, and especially invoking this kind of emotion that
that av_passion stated above:

Quote from: av_passion
I knew it was a good sign when as soon as I walked in I started to relax, my toe started tapping and depending on the recording, when you closed your eyes the room walls would drop away and you would swear the musicians were in the room.  The sound was organic, effortless, integrated from top to bottom with crisp, clear bass, massive sound stage and no room resonances.

That's really what it is all about!  :singing:  8)

---

LAAS2017 ALFIE AWARD

On Saturday night, there was an LAAS2017 audiophile products award ceremony ("ALFIE Award"), and I was deeply honored that the LIO received it!  I am very humbled by the panel of judges from the LAAS & LA/OC Audio Society for taking the time to visit and learn about what LIO is all about, and for presenting this award.   :notworthy:

The only thing that could have make this award even sweeter for me is if it encompassed our entire room and included Clayton Shaw's Spatial Audio X1 Loudspeakers and Paul and Judy Speltz's ANTICABLES speaker cables and USB cable.  It was with Clayton, Paul and Judy's creations and passion in achieving such a high level of sonic performance that made our room as good as it did!

Our team:

Another nice surprise was that a local show attendee that visited our exhibit room multiple times during the show ended up purchasing the entire room of gear that we presented (LIO, X1s, and cables) - and since he was local, we were able to deliver it to his home and set it up on Sunday evening!  He was very serious about wanting to recreate the exact sound that he heard in our exhibit room at the show, so it ended up working out perfectly for all of us!  :thumb:

---

As for PRESS COVERAGE, here is one from today by Brian Hunter of Audio-Head.com:

http://audio-head.com/vinnie-rossi-and-spatial-audio/

Quote from: Brian Hunter / Audio-Head.com
Vinnie Rossi always has a smooth selection of sonic treats to sample from and he always seems to know the right tune to play for any audience – with deep tracks and clever covers. He was also generous enough to let me sit in the sweet spot and bear witness to the quick, but clear rock track Madness from Muse for a taste of the weekend’s auditory cocktail. Upward extension was spot on, the system’s response to the rapid fire vocal samples and distorted instruments was controlled and tidy.

Photo Credit: Brian Hunter / www.audio-head.com

Thank you for visiting, Brian!

More soon...

Vinnie

goskers

« Reply #10 on: 7 Jun 2017, 12:41 am »
Congrats, Vinnie!

Very well deserved.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jun 2017, 01:21 am »
Another nice surprise was that a local show attendee that visited our exhibit room multiple times during the show ended up purchasing the entire room of gear that we presented (LIO, X1s, and cables) - and since he was local, we were able to deliver it to his home and set it up on Sunday evening!  He was very serious about wanting to recreate the exact sound that he heard in our exhibit room at the show, so it ended up working out perfectly for all of us!  :thumb:

Congrats to the lucky winner of this fine system! How awesome is that to have the talented designers personally dial it in to your own home! So jealous....  :thumb:

CSI

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jun 2017, 02:32 am »
Wow. It is one thing to have the wherewithal to afford this system (really, not that far out of reach for many of us) but a whole nother thing to have the designers deliver and set it up. I hope he is a young guy because he will remember this for the rest of his life (and never stop telling his buddies about it).

TimS

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jun 2017, 03:44 am »
Yes, he must be one of the first to get the X1's with Vinnie's LIO. Wonder if he is a member of any audio forums... a review would be nice!

Wow. It is one thing to have the wherewithal to afford this system (really, not that far out of reach for many of us) but a whole nother thing to have the designers deliver and set it up. I hope he is a young guy because he will remember this for the rest of his life (and never stop telling his buddies about it).

Vinnie R.

« Reply #14 on: 7 Jun 2017, 06:06 pm »
Well, it was also fun and very rewarding for us all to set up in the customer's home.  8)

Each Spatial X1 speaker is over 200 lbs., so teamwork helped with this!  Once you install the spikes
and level them off, they do not budge.   :weights:

Wonder if he is a member of any audio forums... a review would be nice!

Hi TimS,

I'll email him to find out... good idea!

Vinnie

tme110

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jun 2017, 11:22 am »
200 pounds!  Holy cow, that's crazy.

Surprised but how little else is out there about the X1 so far.

Spatial Audio

• Industry Contributor
    • Spatial Audio Lab
« Reply #16 on: 9 Jun 2017, 01:48 am »
200 pounds!  Holy cow, that's crazy.

Surprised but how little else is out there about the X1 so far.

Hey guys - We are just starting to ship X1s, so there aren't reviews in the US yet. We have a major US print magazine review lined up for later in the year. There is a completed review from Stereoplay magazine in Germany. As soon as we receive the translated version, I will post it on our website.

Clayton Shaw

Vinnie R.

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jun 2017, 01:21 am »
From Jana Dagdagan of Stereophile:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/jana-wraps-her-laas-coverage

Photo Credit:  Jana Dagdagan, Stereophile

Quote from: Jana Dagdagan / Stereophile
The last room on my list: Vinnie Rossi, Spatial Audio, and Anticables.

"Wicked Game" by Jenna Mammina and Rolf Sturm sung through a system that comprised a Vinnie Rossi LIO "super integrated" amplifier ($11,880 as configured; a Stereophile Class A Recommended Component 2015–2017), a pair of Spatial Audio X1 "UniWave" loudspeakers (standard painted $14,000/pair, gloss Lucite surface $17,500/pair), and Anticables throughout. The sound of the LIO's ultracapacitor-powered, modular system paired with the X1's uniwave dipole design was widespread, transparent, and profoundly engaging—the perfect end to my Los Angeles Audio Show experience.

Thanks for visiting, Jana!  8)

Vinnie

LARRY KYOTO

« Reply #18 on: 11 Jun 2017, 04:14 am »
Vinnie: Was this LIO system using the stock DHT tubes? Congratulations on the award, on-site sale and completion of another stellar show!
One of the new DAC 2.0 you are busy building {hint} is coming here to Kyoto!!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jun 2017, 04:42 pm »
Vinnie: Was this LIO system using the stock DHT tubes? Congratulations on the award, on-site sale and completion of another stellar show!
One of the new DAC 2.0 you are busy building {hint} is coming here to Kyoto!!

Hi Larry,

Thank you!  We were using SV811's and the KR PX-4's for the LIO DHT Integrated.

-----

All,

The Audio Beatnik has just awarded Clayton's Spatial X1's Loudspeakers Best of Show (under $20K):

http://theaudiobeatnik.com/index.php/2017/06/10/la-audio-show-part-3-best-speaker-20000/

Quote from: Jack Roberts / The Audio Beatnik

...Clayton Shaw’s newest design the Spatial Audio X1 UniWave Speakers were so musical, so open and so emotionally involving that for a few minutes I forgot I was at a show.

...This system that Clayton Shaw and Vinnie Rossi put together was close to the best sound I heard at the show.

...Yes, the bass was very deep and powerful, but it was also extremely tuneful and not the least big or fat even in these show rooms, which  were not kind to speakers with deep bass. There were only a few rooms with speakers that could say this. The sound was also very open and very transparent with great imaging, and yes, the soundstage was huge.

None of that is nearly as important as how musical and emotionally involving as these new speakers are. So, let us present our first ever Beatnik Bongo Award to the Spatial Audio X1 UniWave Speakers as the Best Speakers Under $20,000.

A most impressive debut of the X1's!   Congratulations, Clayton!  :beer:

And many thanks to Jack Roberts of The Audio Beatnik for listening to our room at LAAS!   

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2017, 03:32 pm by Vinnie R. »