Anyone compared the HT3 with Wilson Watt Puppy?

Kevin Haskins

Re: Anyone compared the HT3 with Wilson Watt Puppy?
« Reply #20 on: 31 Oct 2009, 07:04 pm »
Also.... in fairness, they list +/- 3dB in their specifications.     There are many people who think that +/- 3dB is perfectly suitable for loudspeaker design.     I'm not in that category and I'd say that it takes more than one axis to characterize the performance.  It is clear that it is > +/- 2.5dB on any axis you look at so I'm not picking and choosing from the specifications to prove my point.   

If it were a mass-market speaker, I'd agree that +/- 3dB is fine.   It isn't.... it is a mega-dollar statement.    It is with that perspective that I'm throwing rocks at the design and I'm doing it based upon objective information, not subjective hearsay.   

Zero

« Reply #21 on: 31 Oct 2009, 07:46 pm »
Out of respect to Jim Salk and Dave Wilson, I will keep my opinions on this subject muted.  I will say this however, the original poster is going to have a difficult time unearthing someone who has actually owned both speakers under question, let alone finding someone who was/is able to accommodate both products in a way that will allow them to sing to their full potential. So far, nearly all of the feedback in this thread is, surprise, surprise, chalk full of bias.

I'm also going to go out on a limb to guess that the original poster is proposing this question because they are narrowing down their search to either a used set of Wilson Watt Pup's, or a brand new pair of Salk HT3's. It's the only way that I can see any logic behind the question. At that point, the value proposition of each product becomes quite linear - thus making for a more interesting comparison.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #22 on: 31 Oct 2009, 07:46 pm »
I DO agree that there should be an impartial circle to post questions like this in.

Seconded!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #23 on: 31 Oct 2009, 07:47 pm »
The Wilson Watt Puppy has been replaced by the Sasha.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #24 on: 31 Oct 2009, 07:52 pm »
Out of respect to Jim Salk and Dave Wilson, I will keep my opinions on this subject muted.  I will say this however, the original poster is going to have a difficult time unearthing someone who has actually owned both speakers under question, let alone finding someone who was/is able to accommodate both products in a way that will allow them to sing to their full potential. So far, nearly all of the feedback in this thread is, surprise, surprise, chalk full of bias.

I'm also going to go out on a limb to guess that the original poster is proposing this question because they are narrowing down their search to either a used set of Wilson Watt Pup's, or a brand new pair of Salk HT3's. It's the only way that I can see any logic behind the question. At that point, the value proposition of each product becomes quite linear - thus making for a more interesting comparison.

My bias is purely based upon the measurements, and the price.    ;-)     The OP has free knowledge of my bias.   I'm fully disclosing it.  :)

Also... I think the likelihood of Wilson considering me a competitor is about the same as Brad Pitt considering me competition in the dating arena.    I sell mainly high-stroke woofers to Home Theater guys these days.   I don't foresee selling mega-dollar speakers to the rich and famous anytime soon.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #25 on: 31 Oct 2009, 08:18 pm »
:D  isn't the WP 27,000.00 bucks new ???? :D  different ball game here..... :D
Pat....
A used pair of Wilson W/P's run in the $14,000. to $15,000.00 range....

srb

« Reply #26 on: 31 Oct 2009, 08:25 pm »
Pat....

Still more than 2X price of new HT3's and 3X price of used HT3's.

Steve

lonewolfny42

« Reply #27 on: 31 Oct 2009, 08:32 pm »
Pat....

Still more than 2X price of new HT3's and 3X price of used HT3's.

Steve
Right..... :wink:

Lyndon

« Reply #28 on: 31 Oct 2009, 08:38 pm »
Whoooooo
That price is scarier than your avatar, Wolfy! :o

Lyndon

lonewolfny42

« Reply #29 on: 31 Oct 2009, 08:41 pm »
Whoooooo
That price is scarier than your avatar, Wolfy! :o

Lyndon
Your right Lyndon.... :lol:

But some might think it's cheap.... I'd rather have the HT3's. :thumb:

srb

« Reply #30 on: 31 Oct 2009, 08:46 pm »
Anyone compared the HT4/Soundscape 12 with Wilson Alexandria X-2?   ;)

Steve

lonewolfny42

« Reply #31 on: 31 Oct 2009, 08:52 pm »

Steve

Here's a comparison.... :wink:

Wilson Alexandria X-2.....New Retail.....$128,000.00

Salk  HT4/Soundscape 12...New Retail.... A whole lot less...  :lol:

srb

« Reply #32 on: 31 Oct 2009, 09:00 pm »

Steve

Here's a comparison.... ;)

Yes, but both are the respective company's statement speaker.

Okay, not fair, but I bet some people would prefer the sound of the HT4/S12. It would also depend on the size of your room.  And your pocketbook.

Steve

Zero

« Reply #33 on: 31 Oct 2009, 09:05 pm »
Kevin -  Bias is still bias   :lol:   That said, at least you are disclosing your reasons why.   :thumb:  Heck, I mine as well get mine outta the way in that I feel that measured frequency and distortion plots only tell half a story. 

Lonewolfy - The price for a used set of Watt Puppy 5.1's starts off around the $5000 mark and tops off around $6,500.  The 6.0's hover around $6,000 - $7,000. 

lonewolfny42

« Reply #34 on: 31 Oct 2009, 09:11 pm »
Sean...
Lonewolfy - The price for a used set of Watt Puppy 5.1's starts off around the $5000 mark and tops off around $6,500.  The 6.0's hover around $6,000 - $7,000.

I was pricing the W/P 8.... :thumb:

srb

« Reply #35 on: 31 Oct 2009, 09:15 pm »
And there is a pair of used Wilson Alexandria X-2 available for $59,950.  That's not much more than a luxury SUV.  And the shipping is only 2400 lbs.

Kevin, do these babies spec out like they should for the money?

Steve

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #36 on: 31 Oct 2009, 09:18 pm »
Kevin -  Bias is still bias   :lol:   That said, at least you are disclosing your reasons why.   :thumb:  Heck, I mine as well get mine outta the way in that I feel that measured frequency and distortion plots only tell half a story. 

That is cool.... I disagree with you.   There may be things that the measurements don't show, but if you are going to design a race car, you won't get far with one that does 0-60 in 8 seconds.   Sure... the 0-60 doesn't tell the whole story but it if it that slow, it isn't likely to win any races no matter what its other redeeming attributes may be.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #37 on: 31 Oct 2009, 09:20 pm »
And there is a pair of used Wilson Alexandria X-2 available for $59,950.  That's not much more than a luxury SUV.  And the shipping is only 2400 lbs.

Kevin, do these babies spec out like they should for the money?

Steve

Don't know......... I'm sure they have reviews somewhere.   For someone willing to spend $60K I'd hope that they would do their due diligence. 

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #38 on: 31 Oct 2009, 09:32 pm »

A system to drive either with perfect precision.... Priceless :thumb:

ltr317

« Reply #39 on: 31 Oct 2009, 09:42 pm »

That is cool.... I disagree with you.   There may be things that the measurements don't show, but if you are going to design a race car, you won't get far with one that does 0-60 in 8 seconds.   Sure... the 0-60 doesn't tell the whole story but it if it that slow, it isn't likely to win any races no matter what its other redeeming attributes may be.

For amateur road racing, 0-60 mph in 8 seconds in the lower classes is quite respectable.  It's not how fast getting up to that speed that matters, it's maintaining an overall high speed around a particular race track that counts.  Even in amateur drag racing, that 0-60 time is good in the lower stock classes.  But I get your point as an absolute time.