Do you archive LPs to digital? Why? Where's the logic, please?

/mp

Re: Do you archive LPs to digital? Why? Where's the logic, please?
« Reply #80 on: 11 Jul 2022, 06:23 pm »
So you find the original vinyl sounds better than the recording you made from it?

Have you checked the digital to confirm that no point in the recording reaches beyond -1db?

....record with a decent 24bit ADC... and the be careful with level setting through the chain...
I have not found my end result to be consistently differentiable from the original.
(P.S. Videos of people's stereo playing.. ?!?! makes no sense whatsoever - always found the idea ridiculous!)

Yes, I check & tweak levels for -1 to -2 db peaks. Always test record. Retrim & redo if any 0 db peaks. No point in archiving if it isn't as perfect as I can make it.

AD/DA connects to preamp's tape loop. Classe DR6 Tape in/out <--> Mogami RCA <--> Aphex 124A <--> Mogami balanced <--> Avid MBox Pro 3 (up to 24/192) <--> IEEE1394  <--> dedicated older windows workstation w/multiple capture (e.g. DAWs: Pro Tools,  Audacity, Reaper, Adobe; NLEs & dedicated A only & A/V capture tools,) editing & playback programs.   

Suspect audible difference comes from extra wiring & junctions needed to create loop.

dlaloum

« Reply #81 on: 12 Jul 2022, 08:02 am »
That may be - but it is worth keeping in mind that the number of connections and devices passed through in the original mastering process was probaby substantial too...

Measuring the I/O of the chain if possible might show up flaws (potentially) - It is after measuring my old PCI ADC that I purchased an external one.... (Mytek 2496)

dlaloum

« Reply #82 on: 12 Jul 2022, 08:05 am »
Yes "Ripping" or archiving, if you are trying to achieve high quality, is a process that takes quite a bit of time!!! - whether audio, or video...

Mike B.

« Reply #83 on: 12 Jul 2022, 05:04 pm »
I have done it with a number of my LP's. I record them using 24/96 resolution and they sound good. I did it for convenience and the ability to use them over my network to various locations.

/mp

« Reply #84 on: 16 Jul 2022, 01:32 pm »
Measuring the I/O of the chain if possible might show up flaws (potentially) - It is after measuring my old PCI ADC that I purchased an external one.... (Mytek 2496)

+1. Moving everything analog away from computer recommended.