Future Song3-A Owner

hearditontheX

Future Song3-A Owner
« on: 5 Mar 2017, 01:47 pm »
I'm thrilled to report I am going to be getting a pair of Song3's. After reading the positive reviews here and on AVS, seeing the gorgeous finishes and working with Jim, I am convinced this will be a lifetime purchase.

The WAF factor was extremely high as she was all in on the purchase. The fun part now will be choosing the finish. The console is rustic, the wood has grey, silver and tan tones, some of which are mimicked in the tile and paint. Some sort of black-ish baffle with contrasting sides and front are our initial thoughts.

I look forward to Jim's ideas.

« Last Edit: 10 May 2017, 12:17 pm by hearditontheX »

gregcss

Re: Future Song3 Owner
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2017, 02:10 pm »
A rustic finish would look neat. I dont think I've seen that on Salks or any other speaker for that matter. If you did decide on a rustic finish consider the top coat options. By that I mean glossy vs flat. With the rustic finish I would lean towards flat.

Grbluen

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2017, 03:44 pm »
 Boy, i can't wait for pics of these to show up!  I think Jim will make sure you're satisfied.  I'm a very happy owner!

johzel

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2017, 03:51 pm »
Totally enjoying my Song3 "BEATs" . . . I can't imagine you'll be disappointed in your decision.  Picking and obsessing over the finish is half the fun  :thumb: 

hearditontheX

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2017, 11:09 pm »

Here's a better pic of the finish on the wood. This is going to be a very fun challenge!

Don't know why the image went sideways, apologies.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #5 on: 5 Mar 2017, 11:14 pm »
Just a thought here, but can the face of the drawer come off? You could possibly send that to Jim so he has something in hand to accurately try to match. I'm sure he'll do it anyway but if he can have the actual finish to go by it might make it easier.

screener

« Reply #6 on: 5 Mar 2017, 11:59 pm »
Another note to is that you might possible want to take a color from what's there and think about what would pair the best. There is some nice earth colors and grays in there. Stay on the same spectrum of colors either lighter or darker.

Enjoy.

hearditontheX

« Reply #7 on: 6 Mar 2017, 12:41 am »
Just a thought here, but can the face of the drawer come off? You could possibly send that to Jim so he has something in hand to accurately try to match. I'm sure he'll do it anyway but if he can have the actual finish to go by it might make it easier.

That is a great idea, thanks! We will definitely do that.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2017, 01:03 am »
Before dismantling your furniture, give Jim some credit to be able to match via a nice camera photo. He's done that many times. Talk to him.

oem-wheels

« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2017, 01:25 am »
just curious, where's your current speakers ?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2017, 01:37 am »
A rustic finish would look neat.

Totally agree.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #11 on: 6 Mar 2017, 01:42 am »
Before dismantling your furniture, give Jim some credit to be able to match via a nice camera photo. He's done that many times. Talk to him.

Ay yo, what if he wants to dismantle his furniture? He seems pretty excited about it and I'm excited for him!  :green:

It was just a thought in case he couldn't produce an accurate picture of the color.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #12 on: 6 Mar 2017, 03:07 am »
Well Jim has done some pretty accurate work just through photos before. Why make it easy on him? :lol:

hearditontheX

« Reply #13 on: 6 Mar 2017, 02:23 pm »
just curious, where's your current speakers ?

No current speakers. Prior speakers did not travel in the move.

hearditontheX

« Reply #14 on: 7 Mar 2017, 02:39 pm »
Jim is working with the pictures and has an idea based on a standard veneer. Excitement level is at 11.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 7 Mar 2017, 03:59 pm »
It's a great little speaker. A tough choice between these and some of the nice bookshelf speakers.

hearditontheX

« Reply #16 on: 7 Mar 2017, 04:53 pm »
It's a great little speaker. A tough choice between these and some of the nice bookshelf speakers.

Funny you say that because my quest started with looking at bookshelves, but one listening session with one brand of speakers quickly changed the direction to towers.

boniccie

« Reply #17 on: 12 Mar 2017, 03:53 pm »
I have the Dark Walnut burst Song 3 and i am sure it will match your firnuture perfectly.

hearditontheX

« Reply #18 on: 12 Mar 2017, 04:04 pm »
I am curious and excited to see what Jim will come up with. He recommended curly maple for the veneer.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #19 on: 12 Mar 2017, 04:10 pm »
I'm thinking about a pair just to have in the living room in some cool veneer because they are so kuhl. I'll have to call Jim to see what he has cooking for new stuff.
The nice thing is that the finish is great and the speakers sound even better than they look!