Affordable and Worthwhile Tweaks for the Hyperion 938s

pkoh70

Re: Affordable and Worthwhile Tweaks for the Hyperion 938s
« Reply #40 on: 1 Oct 2006, 02:00 am »
Hi everyone,

I really wanted to get the isonodes everyone here recommended and have benefited from, but unfortunately for me, the country I am in, there is no dealer with isonodes.. One dealer thought they did but called me back later to tell me they mis-quoted..anyway, to make the long story short, only choice I could think of was putting steel spikes and disks under the top units so I did...

I put them on when the speakers were new, so I don't know how they would have sounded without them. Would spikes rip similar benefits as did isonodes ? anyone try the spikes instead of isonode stuff ?

Paul

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #41 on: 1 Oct 2006, 06:05 am »
Paul,

Are the spikes permanently afixed to the mid/tweeter module?  If they are, I commend you on your cohones to actually do that to your speaker!  If they aren't, just take them off and see if there's a difference.   But if you read my original post on the Isonodes, they made such a big difference I can't imagine your approach being better although you may achieve similar improvement.  The Isonodes ABSORBS a wide range of vibrations wheres as the spikes/disks will try to ISOLATE the module from vibrations through minimal contact.  The new 968s use the spikes/disks approach so your thinking is more inline with Hyperion's. 
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2006, 05:13 pm by Dracule1 »

pkoh70

« Reply #42 on: 1 Oct 2006, 09:50 am »
ah...

I didn't screw them on but actually I used the doublesided tape by 3M...holds the screws very well...too me a couple of miracles to position them right on the disks though...I really did want to use the isonodes as they are proven solution but too bad there wasn't a wise enough dealer in Korea selling these goodies...

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #43 on: 1 Oct 2006, 05:18 pm »
If you are interested, I can get a set of 8 isonodes and send them to you, but you'll need to pay for the cost of the isonodes and shipping to Korea.  I will not be able to do this until mid november, however.

pkoh70

« Reply #44 on: 3 Oct 2006, 01:07 pm »
Hi Dracule,

thanks for that offer...really do appreciate... let me see if I can get my hands on them until Nov. and if no, I may need to take that offer and get your help...regardless, thanks for going extra mile to help other hyperion owners !! ;-)

Aragorn

« Reply #45 on: 7 Oct 2006, 12:56 am »

Hi all
I just ordered some Isonodes online from Bright Star Audio. I can't wait to get them and see what sort of difference they make- the 938s sound so good now I'm not sure what I'm after, but it should be fun!

Regards

Aragorn

Doubleblind

• Arcam AVR600; Oppo BDP83SE;Hyperion 938; Axiom sur
« Reply #46 on: 10 Oct 2006, 06:50 pm »

I too have ordered the isonodes from Bright Star.  I haven't been sent the confirmation E mail confirming my order as of yet, but I am wanting a little crisper highs, I had British speakers before these.

I have put about 100 hours on these speakers since last Friday and have enjoyed listening to these open up.

I would like the spikes to make better contact to the cement floor through the carpet, I think that the spikes are still on the carpet/underpad and not directly on the cement.

It is still a work in progress.

With minaml toe-in 1/2" or so is working for me, anything  much more than that places the soundstage just between the speakers.

My room is 18' deep by 11'3" wide and 8'3" high.  I would have liked a wider room, but for now this is what I have to work with.

Enjoy these speakers:)

Aragorn

« Reply #47 on: 19 Oct 2006, 09:58 am »
Well the Brightstar IsoNodes arrived.

I put them on after a good, solid, critical listen to Norah Jones on SACD.

The difference is definite but not huge so these comments relate to the 938s with IsoNodes inplace, not either in isolation.
The midrange detail is improved, there is less "glare" in the midrange, although I hadn't noticed any glare before. The overall effect is more naturalness and even more effortlessness, which has always been the best feature of this speaker. The midrange is very special, with lots of unforced detail and a yumminess that is hard to describe. Human voice gives a real understanding of the breath, chest, larynx and mouth contributions to forming the note, and talented singers leave you in awe of their abilities. I can fully appreciate singing compared to what I try to do!

I am very happy with the changes, as the speaker was great before and now matches, literally, anything I have heard (bear in mind I've not heard systems over 50000 AUD). Listening is such a pleasure that the system disappears and you sing along (or try to), foot a-tapping and dancing when the music is made for dancing. I am fully satisfied with the 938s, and think they are excellent value-for-money.

Now to listen a bit more....

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 22 Oct 2006, 06:43 am »
Aragorn, I like your sonic descriptors..."yumminess that is hard to describe".  Yes, the Isonodes smooths out the sound but at the same time increase natural detail.

roark

« Reply #49 on: 17 Sep 2007, 03:42 pm »
Does anybody have a schematic diagram of these speakers?  Am thinking of tweaking its crossover, perhaps using better parts.

Thanks in advance!

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #50 on: 18 Sep 2007, 12:35 am »
I think you'd be better off contacting Hyperion directly for the schematics.  But you really shouldn't need this.  Just take out the crossover and replace the stock parts with better ones.

roark

« Reply #51 on: 18 Sep 2007, 01:54 am »
Hi Dracule,

Thank you for the immediate reply.  I was hoping someone here knows the schematics.  I am afraid that Hyperion might not give it to me.  In any case, I have upgraded the crossover of my previous speakers and the improvement was fantastic.  I have already seen the crossover of the 938s and they used generic parts.  I bet if I replace the parts with say audionote or jensen caps, miller resistors, etc, it will sound a lot better.  It's a big risk, but it's something I am willing to take for sure.

Cheers!!  :D :D :D

pkoh70

« Reply #52 on: 27 Sep 2007, 05:40 pm »
guys,

quick question, I am trying to dampen the bass a bit due to my limited room size.  do you know if it is ok to plug some cloth/sponge inside the front port of 938 ? usually for other ported speakers, it is perfectly ok to do, but wasn't sure if it is for 938s.

thanks...also any good cable recommendation to tighten up that bass, would appreciate.

I am currently using VDH jubilee and Stereovox Colibri for interconnects and AP Oval 9 with HGA silver jumpers for speaker cable. Did I mix things up too much here ?

Paul

PaulN

« Reply #53 on: 18 Oct 2007, 09:57 am »
Hey Roark, please (!) let us all know how you go with tweaking the crossovers.

Sorry Pkoh70, I don't know about damping the ports, and as for cables, all of mine are from a local Australian manufacturer (I love 'em).  I have heard that Symposium Svelte shelves are great under speakers for cleaning up bass and reducing bloom.  I'd love to try them, but can't come to the cost.

cheers,

ndeslions

« Reply #54 on: 20 Oct 2007, 10:45 am »
I use some Finite Element Ceraball Universal instead of the Hyperion spikes under my 968, nice improvement in overall clarity and they are not very expensive.

roark

« Reply #55 on: 25 Oct 2007, 10:53 am »
Hi Paul,

I am putting this project on hold in the meantime.  I will let you guys know as soon as I decide to take it on.

Thanks!

Hey Roark, please (!) let us all know how you go with tweaking the crossovers.

Sorry Pkoh70, I don't know about damping the ports, and as for cables, all of mine are from a local Australian manufacturer (I love 'em).  I have heard that Symposium Svelte shelves are great under speakers for cleaning up bass and reducing bloom.  I'd love to try them, but can't come to the cost.

cheers,

RCduck7

« Reply #56 on: 19 Aug 2009, 11:12 pm »
I just ordered 8 of those larger brightstar isonodes.

In the following 6 moons review of the 968 model... http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hyperion5/968.html
There are a lot of pictures that shows the back is tilted a bit higher and i see hard steel feet like i have seen under the woofer cabinet, only they are smaller i think for the mid/high module.
The 938's that i auditioned and bought don't have those feet.
I don't even know that the 938 ever came included with these steel feet.
The back of the mid/high module is propably tilted for better focus to the listening place when your sitting low and relaxed in the sofa.
Anyone experimented with tilting the module at the back?
If so, i'm trying to think of a solution of doing so with the sorbathane feet and something else maybe.
I'm not sure if this issue has allready been posted, but any recommendations? Or is it just right when the mid/high module is flat?

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #57 on: 19 Aug 2009, 11:43 pm »
Rc, nice to see you are enthusiastic about your new speakers, but how about taking one step at a time.  See how the sorbathane feet work for you and worry about the tilt later.

RCduck7

« Reply #58 on: 24 Aug 2009, 08:56 pm »
Rc, nice to see you are enthusiastic about your new speakers, but how about taking one step at a time.  See how the sorbathane feet work for you and worry about the tilt later.

Still waiting for the isonode feet but for my liking the tweeter could be angled a little lower.
Since i'm going to have 4 of these isonodes with each speaker, i'm thinking of using 2 on the left and right corner at the front of the module and (glue) 2 halves to one ball and use it in the middle of the rear side of the module.
This way i have 3 contact points and the back will be tilted somewhat.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #59 on: 25 Aug 2009, 06:13 am »
RC, just remember the Isonodes are rated for a small range of load (weight).  If you go over or under their rating by adding more Isonodes, it may not be as effective.  I personally would change my listening height at the chair than try to change with Isonodes which may not be stable the way you decribe using them.