Omega 3 Super High Output Speakers - initial impressions

TWINSKI66

I’ve had the Omega Super 3 HO speakers since March 4.  So my first impressions can be considered ‘early’.  The Omega Super 3 HO are highly transparent & revealing to my ears.  The pros/cons of these speakers will likely be dependent on the listeners musical leanings. If you listen primarily to jazz or orchestral music...then these are a great compliment to those genres.  These are unforgiving speakers and may prove less desirable for listeners of hip hop, EDM, or rock.  I think it’s primarily due to the fact that these recordings rely more on synthesized instrumentation.  I also think these genres typically sound compressed & less dynamic than most jazz recordings; bear in mind this is a general statement & cannot possibly be conclusive.  For example I’ve also found these speakers to excel at pop music which is heavily synthesized.  The Weeknd’s latest release and Justin Bieber’s latest are great examples of heavily processed albums yet exude superb sound quality whether you’re a fan or not.  The Super 3 HO monitors deliver excellent sound quality in spades on both recordings; so it’s likely dependent upon the source recording.  These monitors simply don’t mask anything.

The aesthetics are flawless...in one word ‘gorgeous’ & the build quality cannot be improved upon.  I don’t know how Louis can afford to price these as such.  These are a clear value.

My digital rig chain: PC>Audiophilleo1>Border Patrol DAC SEi>LTA MZ3 preamp/amp>Schiit Aegir.

The speakers seem to pair best with the LTA MZ3 in amp mode with as little as 1 watt output; particularly for late night listening (intimately warm near field).  The Aegir adds a welcomed boost primarily for daytime listening (room filling levels).

« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2020, 10:21 am by TWINSKI66 »

TWINSKI66

Re: Omega 3 Super High Output Speakers - initial impressions
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2020, 03:25 am »
Update:  I’ve now placed these on stands with a toe in angle around 15 degrees.  This position change has bumped up imaging & the soundstage notably (in a 3D/holographic manner).  The low end is tighter & more pronounced.  I’m willing to walk back my previous observations/statements regarding the playback of hip hop & rock, EDM genres through continued listening post these speaker placement changes.

Sandals123

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2020, 05:45 am »
Man, that is a desk I could spend lots of time at! Looks like a great set up! The HO must sound pretty good in that set up and I like the stands you have placed them on too.

TWINSKI66

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2020, 12:02 pm »
Thanks; and I’ve literally moved into this space to listen whenever I can.  I’m still evaluating this set up; but honestly...I think I’d be hard pressed to gain any further sonic benefits from a desk top rig.  It’s all down to tonal preference...no other reason to change/tweak anything further IMHO.  But as an audiophile I must include a disclaimer...I’m reminded that I have Cullen power cables ordered for the components.  :oops:

I forgot to share pics of the source/PC beneath the desk that feeds the rig:
Sorry for the sideways ‘Batman’ orientation.

AvsFan

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2020, 03:33 pm »
Update:  I’ve now placed these on stands with a toe in angle around 15 degrees.  This position change has bumped up imaging & the soundstage notably (in a 3D/holographic manner).  The low end is tighter & more pronounced.  I’m willing to walk back my previous observations/statements regarding the playback of hip hop & rock, EDM genres through continued listening post these speaker placement changes.

Thank you for your post on the HO’s! You’re experience with them is putting my mind at ease. I was having second thoughts about my purchase. I am sure they’ll be spectacular. Are you running them full range?

TWINSKI66

« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2020, 10:12 pm »
Hmmm...am I playing these full range?  I’m not sure that I follow?  Yes these are full range drivers (if that’s the question).  There’s a crossover employed in the design between the (2) speakers to manage high/low frequencies.   I can say the dynamics are superb (detailed & transparent...source dependent of course).  The most significant difference, from the Spendor A1 monitors that I’d grown accustomed to, would be the transparency followed by warmth.  The HO’s are less forgiving to my ears...they tell it like it is...comparatively speaking....& they are ‘less’ warm IMHO.  These aren’t cons; just tonal or tuning design differences.  Full disclosure...I was eyeballing the BBC monitor sound when I purchased the HO’s.  My selection to purchase the HO’s was based largely on the efficiency; to (speaker) match my upstream gear/chain (MZ3 & Aegir).  I’ll likely cycle a pair of Graham Audio Chartwell LS3/5 monitos or Harberh P3ESR monitors to solely satisfy my curiosity.   But honestly...I have no merit worthy qualms against the HO’s.  These are solid in both build & sound signature...holding their own with the likes of custom Salk Silk Monitors...which I’ve also owned...albeit in an entirely different use-case set up. 

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2020, 10:29 pm »
Full range: He likely means the speakers are not high passed (with a sub for bass).

TWINSKI66

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2020, 10:56 pm »
Aaaah I see; I’ve had sub configs way back in the day.  I dislike subs in audio setups & even center channels in AV set ups.  Additional speakers beyond (2) never seem to fully integrate harmoniously to my level of satisfaction (difficult to dial in).  I like the speakers to disappear in the room (as much as possible).  So...I’m reduced to being a traditional 2 channel kind of guy for those ‘personal’ reasons.  I place the burden of the sonic wall squarely onto the shoulders of the left & right channels (to do it all). :oops:

AvsFan

« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2020, 11:42 pm »
Full range: He likely means the speakers are not high passed (with a sub for bass).

Exactly what I meant. I spoke to a subwoofer company that was adamant about high passing the HO's. After a great conversation with Louis today, him and I were in agreement. They're full range drivers and are meant to be ran at full range. No high passing or crossovers. Other than my home theater, I don't use bass management or crossovers other than whats in the subs amp.

AvsFan

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2020, 11:49 pm »
Hmmm...am I playing these full range?  I’m not sure that I follow?  Yes these are full range drivers (if that’s the question).  There’s a crossover employed in the design between the (2) speakers to manage high/low frequencies.   I can say the dynamics are superb (detailed & transparent...source dependent of course).  The most significant difference, from the Spendor A1 monitors that I’d grown accustomed to, would be the transparency followed by warmth.  The HO’s are less forgiving to my ears...they tell it like it is...comparatively speaking....& they are ‘less’ warm IMHO.  These aren’t cons; just tonal or tuning design differences.  Full disclosure...I was eyeballing the BBC monitor sound when I purchased the HO’s.  My selection to purchase the HO’s was based largely on the efficiency; to (speaker) match my upstream gear/chain (MZ3 & Aegir).  I’ll likely cycle a pair of Graham Audio Chartwell LS3/5 monitos or Harberh P3ESR monitors to solely satisfy my curiosity.   But honestly...I have no merit worthy qualms against the HO’s.  These are solid in both build & sound signature...holding their own with the likes of custom Salk Silk Monitors...which I’ve also owned...albeit in an entirely different use-case set up.

I am going to own a pair myself here in about a month or so. Cabinets are done, Louis ordered the veneer and will be working on that in the near future. A little different. Wide baffle, with diagonal drivers and one large port on front.  I will be integrating to very fast and musical subs with them. If you can get it right and get them to blend without drawing attention to themselves, subs add a whole other layer and foundation to the music. But everyone's musical tastes and ears are different. For me, subs are a must in my systems. Albeit, good, clean, musical, fast subs. 

TWINSKI66

« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2020, 08:22 pm »
You’ll likely enjoy ‘em.  I’d recommend livin’ with ‘em before drawing any final conclusions.  The monitors will likely grow on ya...one could argue these monitors actually require some level of break-in.  As far as tweaking the bass or tonal SQ...Decware makes a Class A Single Ended Triode All Tube EQ.  While I’m not a fan of applying EQ it peaked my interest...so I ordered one.  Dunno what the build time will be...but I’ll provide honest feedback if there’s any notable improvement (or not) to my set up.  I may be chasin’ harmonic ghosts but that’s what likely makes me an audiophile I guess?  Just when I think I’m done...I’m not.  Anyway....enjoy the music.  I’m currently listening in amazement to what the Super HO’s are casting out from this album...and a digital signal at that...wow! 

todcp

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2020, 04:46 pm »
Realize they need lots of hours to break in.  The best is ahead of you.

AvsFan

« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2020, 06:02 pm »
Realize they need lots of hours to break in.  The best is ahead of you.

I've learned to not pass judgement on audio equipment in general, until about the 90 day mark. Good or bad.

roscoe65

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2020, 10:12 pm »
My experience with my own Super 3 HO Monitors was that they really needed at least 100 hours to start loosening up at all.  They will sound better, then sound worse, then sound even better, then eventually loosen up and break in.  The bass will vastly improve and the speaker will sound more free.  I put some bass-heavy tracks on repeat, placed the speakers face-to-face, and threw some blankets over them and went to work.  I did this for a couple of weeks until they began to sound human.

I would argue that proper placement and system building should obviate the need for equalization or DSP.

Kray

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2020, 10:29 pm »
I would argue that proper placement and system building should obviate the need for equalization or DSP.

Agree 100%

SDMF_Mark

« Reply #15 on: 7 Apr 2022, 12:51 am »
How’s the bass with these?