Class D versus the rest

Folsom

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #720 on: 6 Nov 2014, 08:50 pm »
I assume the black thing is the full range receiver, and the crown is for the sub in the middle.

OzarkTom

« Reply #721 on: 7 Nov 2014, 03:44 am »
After a lot comparisons tonight with all types of music, I would call it a dead heat between the 1500 and 2000 amps. That makes the 1500 the best deal since those prices used are around 200 bucks. Get two and run them in mono, if you need more power, 1050 watts into 8 ohms.

jackman, that one in Des Moines Ia. is still for sale for $150, but you would have to drive over and pick it up, he won't ship.

I then tried Chris's (rodge827) trick that he learned trough the grapevine, and what an improvement. Now I have these sitting under every component in the house but the speakers. These rings even fits perfectly under those heavy Sony Z1's. The sound is more warmer, natural sounding, with even more depth. :o

My wife subscribes to Amazon Prime, this improvement cost me 7 bucks for 20 of them. That should be enough for any system.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HRC5AW/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1

Thanks Chris for this tidbit. :thumb: When I get more moongel pads in this weekend, I will try the combination together.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #722 on: 7 Nov 2014, 03:48 am »
Lol, I have my Crown sitting on cedar blocks with moongel pads in between right now.

Those cedar rings look good though, will use them in my closet too.   :thumb:

Folsom

« Reply #723 on: 7 Nov 2014, 04:06 am »
I bet those rings with some herbies discs on the underside would be top notch.

Cedar is a natural replacement for moth balls. You can buy cedar balls...

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #724 on: 7 Nov 2014, 06:29 am »
I had 4 moongels under each of my 30 lb (14 kg) monitor speakers (K+H 0300s) for over a year, but no more than two years. When I went to move the speakers off the stands to re-locate them, the moongels' inner liquid filling had oozed through the surface and adhered them to both the stand top plate and the bottom of the speaker which, fortunately, was finished in a tough synthetic. I scraped them off and threw them away. No damage was done, but it is back to looking for alternatives.

jk@home

« Reply #725 on: 7 Nov 2014, 04:06 pm »
...Get two and run them in mono, if you need more power, 1050 watts into 8 ohms. ..

So is there any sonic penalty from driving Class D amps in mono, as is usually the case with Class A/B?

rodge827

« Reply #726 on: 7 Nov 2014, 07:33 pm »
No damage was done, but it is back to looking for alternatives.

I'm using Herbie's Big Fat Dots under my monitors with very good results.  8)

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm

Chris

rodge827

« Reply #727 on: 7 Nov 2014, 07:36 pm »
Here you go Tom,

Best smelling/sounding iTube evah'  :green:

Chris

OzarkTom

« Reply #728 on: 7 Nov 2014, 07:40 pm »
Here you go Tom,

Best smelling/sounding iTube evah'  :green:

Chris's

Looks great, I will try that tonight. So what improvement are you hearing, Chris?

rodge827

« Reply #729 on: 7 Nov 2014, 08:01 pm »
Looks great, I will try that tonight. So what improvement are you hearing, Chris?

Putting them on the top gave me more details like a finger squeak on guitar, mike bumps with live music, hall echo, the sound stage got deeper, background sounds, instrument separation, all the little sounds that create a more life like performance in studio and live recordings. (and the sentence runs on and on and on...)

Chris   

mr_bill

« Reply #730 on: 7 Nov 2014, 08:48 pm »

Putting them on the top gave me more details like a finger squeak on guitar, mike bumps with live music, hall echo, the sound stage got deeper, background sounds, instrument separation, all the little sounds that create a more life like performance in studio and live recordings. (and the sentence runs on and on and on...)

Chris

Chris or Tom,
I'm not trying to be a turd but how can adding cedar rings on top of the ifi improve its sound?

jackman

« Reply #731 on: 7 Nov 2014, 08:55 pm »
Chris or Tom,
I'm not trying to be a turd but how can adding cedar rings on top of the ifi improve its sound?

I'd love to see someone prove this in blind testing...

This is why I am starting to hate this hobby.  A few years ago, a guy from the Chicago Audio Society or Club came to my house and explained how his group tested bags of sand and buckshot on top of their CDP's to see what sounded better.  They settled on a 50/50 mix of sand and lead buckshot.  I wanted to throw him out immediately, but I'm too nice.   :duh:

jackman

« Reply #732 on: 7 Nov 2014, 09:00 pm »
I'm using Herbie's Big Fat Dots under my monitors with very good results.  8)

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/spkrfeet.htm

Chris

Those look pretty cool, I may pick some up.  I use those little half moon balls (half balls  :o) of sorbothane between my monitors and subwoofer cabinets.  I tried lots of other things (carbon fiber spikes, sheets of sorbothane (sp?), etc.) and these actually seem to work best.  I place a glass of water on top of the monitors and play bass heavy music.  The sorbothane half moons (flat side down) isolate the monitors best and I have no water movement.  The solid sheets and little squares of the same material have noticeable water movement (less isolation).  Not sure if it sounds any better but they are cheap and easy to get (ebay or amazon).  I use 4 per speaker and they were around $6 each. 

I like Herbie and will give his product a shot.  Thanks!

werd

« Reply #733 on: 7 Nov 2014, 09:01 pm »
What is happening they're mass loading the top of the cdp. If you stood there and pressed down on it it would be the same. It's dampening the resonance of the chassis. Same on the bottom to a certain extent. You can mass load the bottom too Usually if you mass load the bottom it helps to remove the feet.

rodge827

« Reply #734 on: 7 Nov 2014, 09:17 pm »
I'd love to see someone prove this in blind testing...

This is why I am starting to hate this hobby.  A few years ago, a guy from the Chicago Audio Society or Club came to my house and explained how his group tested bags of sand and buckshot on top of their CDP's to see what sounded better.  They settled on a 50/50 mix of sand and lead buckshot.  I wanted to throw him out immediately, but I'm too nice.   :duh:

Starting?   :roll:

Jack, I got this tweak form Darren who distributes the iFi gear. He said as crazy as it seems, put a couple on top and you will notice a difference. He also said to put pennies between the bottom discs for more of an effect. Sounded good without the pennies, but I will try some for comparison and report back.  :D

How can you see it if it's a blind test?  : :scratch:

Chris

wushuliu

« Reply #735 on: 7 Nov 2014, 09:42 pm »
After a lot comparisons tonight with all types of music, I would call it a dead heat between the 1500 and 2000 amps. That makes the 1500 the best deal since those prices used are around 200 bucks. Get two and run them in mono, if you need more power, 1050 watts into 8 ohms.

Excellent. I'd like to build some 3-ways as my next speaker project and the TPAs won't have enough juice I'm sure not to mention it's nice when there's enough power for the amp to drive woofers with real authority.

OzarkTom

« Reply #736 on: 7 Nov 2014, 11:18 pm »
The cedar rings first made a difference under the Crown amp. The increase in depth was the first thing I noticed, probably because the sound got clearer. Then I played some of my bad recordings and they were more listenable than without the rings.

Darren is one of those that is as honest as the day is long. He also does not believe in the very expensive power conditioners that is on the market. For 20 rings at 7 bucks, this tweek is worth trying. If they don't work for your system, use them in your closet.

Folsom

« Reply #737 on: 7 Nov 2014, 11:41 pm »
I don't understand the complications in understanding.

Class D audio signal is formed from an oscillating signal. Within a circuit/chip design one must be careful for resonances occurring that will alter sound. The electrical resonance is physical, as much as it is a separate wave form of electricity. No one in the business denies that resonances are a concern, and likely a majority have compensated somewhere in their circuit for them. Don't forget that everything in equipment is also subject to induction. There's a lot of fields extending past their components/tracings, and I doubt it's hard to imagine what vibrations can do to them.

You can argue whether it's worth your time, but to say it's magic snake oil is silly.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #738 on: 8 Nov 2014, 12:29 am »
Changing the mechanical damping of any part of the system has an effect, sometimes quite large.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #739 on: 8 Nov 2014, 01:08 am »
I don't understand the complications in understanding.

Class D audio signal is formed from an oscillating signal. Within a circuit/chip design one must be careful for resonances occurring that will alter sound. The electrical resonance is physical, as much as it is a separate wave form of electricity. No one in the business denies that resonances are a concern, and likely a majority have compensated somewhere in their circuit for them. Don't forget that everything in equipment is also subject to induction. There's a lot of fields extending past their components/tracings, and I doubt it's hard to imagine what vibrations can do to them.

You can argue whether it's worth your time, but to say it's magic snake oil is silly.

Nice to read a rational explanation for the whole resonance thing.   

You are not Michael Green with a different username, are you?   8)

I kid.