Class D versus the rest

werd

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #660 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:32 pm »
XLR only?  Incorrect.

TS/TRS works just fine.

I guess if you want to use phono,  Hell it might even be the new craze everyone can jump on here

JDUBS

« Reply #661 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:37 pm »
I guess if you want to use phono,  Hell it might even be the new craze everyone can jump on here

New craze?  TS / TRS have been around for ages in the pro-audio world.

Speakon connectors have been around a long time, too. 

-Jim

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #662 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:38 pm »
Actually, I'm looking for a power amp to use with my dyi  waveguide speakers for the 15" woofers that will cross @ ~650hz to the tweeters and will hand over @ ~ 65hz to distributed subs.  Compression drivers will power the 18" SEOS waveguides. Modified Heathkit W5m tube monoblocks will power the CDs'. MiniDSP will do the active crossover work.

Still have to complete the WG box with a nice hardwood top. :)

werd

« Reply #663 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:51 pm »
Looks good. What is that 15" drivers?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #664 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:54 pm »
Nice speakers rajacat!  :thumb:

I'm also interested in the Behringer iNuke for subwoofer duty, the dsp could come in handy but the power specs are overstated which is a red flag. I think they rate it at 3KW into 4 ohms x 2, this cannot be accomplished using a standard 120V, 20A circuit as 120 x 20 = 2400 watts, just a little shy of 6000 and we're not even taking into account inefficiencies, even if they are only a few %.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-NU6000-Ultra-Lightweight-High-Density-6000-Watt/dp/B005EHINFI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1414698607&sr=8-3&keywords=behringer+inuke+nu6000

Are those your AE 15" drivers? I had to give up on them, I can't wait months and months for them to come through when they promised me a 4 week lead time.

I'm going with these instead, I will be using a much lower xo point than you are, probably 150 Hz but not more than 350 Hz...

http://www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk/loudspeakers/rv3863-15/

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #665 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:54 pm »
Looks good. What is that 15" drivers?
Acoustic Elegance TD15m.
http://www.aespeakers.com/drivers.php?driver_id=4

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #666 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:00 pm »
Hmm... should I start a separate thread for my speakers? Don't want to get too off topic.
Dave, those Volt drivers look very interesting. Are they very pricey?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #667 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:14 pm »
Hmm... should I start a separate thread for my speakers? Don't want to get too off topic.

Yes, they are very expensive but are one of very few drivers that fit my requirements. I'm trying to design a full-range 2-way speaker with a F3 in the high 20 Hz range and past 20 kHz on the top end, it looks like I can do it with no crossover on the high end driver and the Volt woofers run active with a Crown, Behringer or similar D amp with built-in xo. I also just got in 20" diameter waveguides for the mid/high range driver, they need to be pretty big to maintain directivity low enough.

I think your speakers are worthy of their own thread for sure.  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #668 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:14 pm »
Nice speakers rajacat!  :thumb:

I'm also interested in the Behringer iNuke for subwoofer duty, the dsp could come in handy but the power specs are overstated which is a red flag. I think they rate it at 3KW into 4 ohms x 2, this cannot be accomplished using a standard 120V, 20A circuit as 120 x 20 = 2400 watts, just a little shy of 6000 and we're not even taking into account inefficiencies, even if they are only a few %.

So you don't like the specs?  :lol: That was beautiful

wushuliu

« Reply #669 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:16 pm »
Ok I know I sound like a Dick but contraire to what people might think I like all you guys. But I have to say in audio a lot of folk here appear to be their own worst enemy. They run to the next fad with hope and gleam that they've found the next hidden lil gem. Got some news. That ain't happening.

Lol, that's why it's called a hobby. That's what hobbyists do. There are people who do the same thing over postage stamps.

Postage stamps, bro.

OzarkTom

« Reply #670 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:17 pm »
According to the Amazon reviews, the fan is very noisy on the INuke.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #671 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:19 pm »
werd, Behringer put out power specs that are impossible to achieve on a std 120V circuit, this has no relation to your comments whatsoever....

The attraction to the Behringer is dsp to EQ the low end, some higher end Crown amps have this ability too but they cost more. Probably for a good reason... like because they sound so good...  :P

Noisy fan is definitely not good. The one in my laptop is loud enough that it can't be on and in the same room as my system during any serious listening. It's annoying.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #672 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:22 pm »
According to the Amazon reviews, the fan is very noisy on the INuke.
It is; it's horrendous. I replaced the one on my son's bass (guitar) amp driving Duke LeJeune's Thunderchild speaker with the quietest one I could find, but it's still more than you would tolerate in the living room as part of a home stereo set up - and it's on all the time.

Freo-1

« Reply #673 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:26 pm »

If I owned speakers like those, (with the high efficiency), I would stick with tubes.  None of the sand amps (regardless of topology) can match the linearity of a well made and designed valve amp.  (And yes, I'm biased)  :green:

Now, regarding these Crown amps, would like to more.  Every Class D amp  I've owned or heard/auditioned had issues with sounding 2D, lacked a bit of bass, and sounded a bit off in the presence region.  OTOH, the high power and clarity is very welcome with a lot of music.   The best (to me) was the Yamaha MX-D1, followed by the Ncore a bit lower.  After those, there was a drop off in overall enjoyment.   

I'm sure there are some newer Class D offerings out there that are competitive.

werd

« Reply #674 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:27 pm »
werd, Behringer put out power specs that are impossible to achieve on a std 120V circuit, this has no relation to your comments whatsoever....

The attraction to the Behringer is dsp to EQ the low end, some higher end Crown amps have this ability too but they cost more. Probably for a good reason... like because they sound so good...  :P

Noisy fan is definitely not good. The one in my laptop is loud enough that it can't be on and in the same room as my system during any serious listening. It's annoying.

Dude you don't have to convince me. I'm with ya  I thought exact same thing

werd

« Reply #675 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:30 pm »

If I owned speakers like those, (with the high efficiency), I would stick with tubes.  None of the sand amps (regardless of topology) can match the linearity of a well made and designed valve amp.  (And yes, I'm biased)  :green:

Now, regarding these Crown amps, would like to more.  Every Class D amp  I've owned or heard/auditioned had issues with sounding 2D, lacked a bit of bass, and sounded a bit off in the presence region.  OTOH, the high power and clarity is very welcome with a lot of music.   The best (to me) was the Yamaha MX-D1, followed by the Ncore a bit lower.  After those, there was a drop off in overall enjoyment.   

I'm sure there are some newer Class D offerings out there that are competitive.

The Chapter Class D, my integrated and especially the powers amp are very Holographic.

randytsuch

« Reply #676 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:32 pm »
It is; it's horrendous. I replaced the one on my son's bass (guitar) amp driving Duke LeJeune's Thunderchild speaker with the quietest one I could find, but it's still more than you would tolerate in the living room as part of a home stereo set up - and it's on all the time.

What did you replace it with?
You can get some really quiet fans, PC overclockers are into figuring out how to cool things quietly.

If you can live with lower airflow, you can also undervolt the fan, 12V fans can get REALLY quiet running on 5-7 volts.

Randy

Freo-1

« Reply #677 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:36 pm »
The Chapter Class D, my integrated and especially the powers amp are very Holographic.

I have not heard any sand amps yet that can match a well made and designed tube setup.  The well made and designed aspect limits the choices, to be sure.    Having said that, there are always new things to learn and toys to listen to.

werd

« Reply #678 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:47 pm »

I have not heard any sand amps yet that can match a well made and designed tube setup.  The well made and designed aspect limits the choices, to be sure.    Having said that, there are always new things to learn and toys to listen to.

It's because most have useless power supplies.  They typically are undernourished and can't deal with multiple impedance loads simultaltaneous. That will collapse the soundstage in SS. Well so long as you got your room working for ya. I am not trying to rival excellent tubes in holographics. But they are pretty good.

werd

« Reply #679 on: 30 Oct 2014, 08:54 pm »

Have you heard the Devaliet 250 or 400?