Class D versus the rest

mr_bill

Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #640 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:38 pm »
The Zellatons are a heck of a speaker so the Crown is a serious recommendation.

Freo-1

« Reply #641 on: 29 Oct 2014, 10:40 pm »
So, guys - to make a long story short, what are you recommending?
Stereo Crown XLS 2000 or 2500
Or
Mono Crown XLS 1500s?

.....and the Crown(s) is better than Job or NCore?

I'm buying an amp and will try what's best on my Maggie 3.7s.
Thanks.

Hmmm.  For cost/benefit, I would go with mono Crown 1500's.   Maggies are very power hungry, but not a hard load on the amp.

Folsom

« Reply #642 on: 30 Oct 2014, 12:54 am »
Actually there's an irony that while an SMPS might make noise, you're often hearing what the class D control and drive section make because of the SMPS  :lol:

Hypex talks about proximity playing a huge roll, for a good reason. I'm actually curious to a degree about their oscillation frequency; it might be high so the SMPS filter will create a situation where the unbiblical cord isn't a hinderance. You'll notice Pascal and ICE are one unit, they may not use as high of oscillations. (Higher oscillation frequency can cause some issues, but is easy for noise reduction)

No idea on what Crown uses... Maybe I should stare at pictures longer.

JDUBS

« Reply #643 on: 30 Oct 2014, 02:30 am »
Anyone ever try the Peavey Class D stuff?  Specs out a little better in terms of SNR vs. the Crown XLS series.

-Jim

sonicxtc

« Reply #644 on: 30 Oct 2014, 02:35 am »
I hope this fine thread can stay “on track” regarding class D amps, the Crown amps, class d versus others, etc. FWIW, I rarely comment on threads, but I’ll make an exception, now.

I’m here to learn and always feel grateful when members with greater experience choose to share their insights. Tom, Dave, Salis, Roscoeii, Wushuliu et al, --thank you! I’m often aiming to figure out what I might “try next” and know damn well I don’t have the experience you guys have. I imagine many AC readers read threads for similar reasons.

Let’s be realistic and honest--we all have our biases, beliefs and varied experiences.
The most valuable information is based on comparative experience. I think it’s odd for someone to hold a steadfast position about a piece of gear without ever having heard that piece of gear, regardless of his experience with “allegedly” similar gear.
And, for you well intended AC members, perhaps it’s best not to expend too much energy to A) understand, B) discredit or C) question the “authority” of someone who holds nearly unshakable opinions about a specific piece of gear he’s never heard.
Did you “know” what a tube amp or tube pre-amp sounded like before you heard one? I didn’t know what an open baffle speaker sounded like before I listened to one.

As for distortion, it’s but one measurement and everyone knows that specs “don’t tell the whole story” about any piece of gear. Maybe we haven’t even evolved enough to know ALL the proper parameters to measure! Some people like tube distortion; some don’t. I intend no disrespect to anyone; rather I’m aiming to respect the efforts of those taking the time to listen and comment on gear based on actual experience and not based upon conjecture and presupposition. I’m not here to add flames to the war; rather to encourage us to stay on track with the discussion.

Thanks everyone. 

werd

« Reply #645 on: 30 Oct 2014, 03:33 am »
Anyone ever try the Peavey Class D stuff?  Specs out a little better in terms of SNR vs. the Crown XLS series.

-Jim

I like the look of peavey. They look snazzy.  I am going to head back to L@M and see if they got any Peavey amps.

*Scotty*

« Reply #646 on: 30 Oct 2014, 04:34 am »
Does anybody remember when the Carver Pro Tripath based amp was the flavor of the month.

Fortunately the Crown amps are cheaper to try than the Carvers were.
Scotty

werd

« Reply #647 on: 30 Oct 2014, 06:37 am »
The best part about it is they are only $300 bucks. It's not like its a $5k amp. When you get bored of them and you are going to get bored of them you can sell and lose $20.  You guys are hard up on Crown Amps and getting pissed over nothing. Literally nothing

Must buy Crown amps

OzarkTom

« Reply #648 on: 30 Oct 2014, 06:47 am »
The best part about it is they are only $300 bucks. It's not like its a $5k amp. When you get bored of them and you are going to get bored of them you can sell and lose $20.  You guys are hard up on Crown Amps and getting pissed over nothing. Literally nothing

Must buy Crown amps

Yep, that is what I said. :D

OzarkTom

« Reply #649 on: 30 Oct 2014, 09:45 am »
If someone here would like to try a 2500,  thiere is a reasonable buy-it-now for $395 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crown-xls2500-power-amplifier-/171519471365?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item27ef5b6f05

geowak

« Reply #650 on: 30 Oct 2014, 03:49 pm »
I hope this fine thread can stay “on track” regarding class D amps, the Crown amps, class d versus others, etc. FWIW, I rarely comment on threads, but I’ll make an exception, now.

I’m here to learn and always feel grateful when members with greater experience choose to share their insights. Tom, Dave, Salis, Roscoeii, Wushuliu et al, --thank you! I’m often aiming to figure out what I might “try next” and know damn well I don’t have the experience you guys have. I imagine many AC readers read threads for similar reasons.

Let’s be realistic and honest--we all have our biases, beliefs and varied experiences.
The most valuable information is based on comparative experience. I think it’s odd for someone to hold a steadfast position about a piece of gear without ever having heard that piece of gear, regardless of his experience with “allegedly” similar gear.
And, for you well intended AC members, perhaps it’s best not to expend too much energy to A) understand, B) discredit or C) question the “authority” of someone who holds nearly unshakable opinions about a specific piece of gear he’s never heard.
Did you “know” what a tube amp or tube pre-amp sounded like before you heard one? I didn’t know what an open baffle speaker sounded like before I listened to one.

As for distortion, it’s but one measurement and everyone knows that specs “don’t tell the whole story” about any piece of gear. Maybe we haven’t even evolved enough to know ALL the proper parameters to measure! Some people like tube distortion; some don’t. I intend no disrespect to anyone; rather I’m aiming to respect the efforts of those taking the time to listen and comment on gear based on actual experience and not based upon conjecture and presupposition. I’m not here to add flames to the war; rather to encourage us to stay on track with the discussion.

Thanks everyone.
I could not have said this any better. Solid advice, but I think many arrogant, thick skulled, stupid and/or ignorant ones will pass it by. I wish I had a dime for every "expert" I've met, then later to find they are not.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #651 on: 30 Oct 2014, 04:38 pm »
Many of us have been denied the ability to discern between what we actually know and what we have chosen to embrace as fact.

Those people are very sure of themselves and their info.

Most audiophiles are perpetually seeking a bellwether.

I'd like meet the guy who invented sex so I could ask him what he's working on now.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #652 on: 30 Oct 2014, 05:29 pm »
Many of us have been denied the ability to discern between what we actually know and what we have chosen to embrace as fact.

Those people are very sure of themselves and their info.

Most audiophiles are perpetually seeking a bellwether.

I'd like meet the guy who invented sex so I could ask him what he's working on now.

Great post!

avta

« Reply #653 on: 30 Oct 2014, 06:02 pm »
Maybe it wasn't a guy.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #654 on: 30 Oct 2014, 06:29 pm »
Since we're slumming here (this will drive werd crazy  : :icon_twisted:) , how about considering the iNukes? Only $200 for the Behringer NU1000DSP iNuke Power Amplifier for 2 x 300 Watts into 4 Ohms. :D That includes dsp capabilities. :o Or you can get w/o dsp for $150. VERY cheap watts.
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-NU1000DSP-iNuke-Power-Amplifier/dp/B005EHIN3A/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1414692740&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=inuke+dsp
Vapor Audio is using it to power its 8" subwoofer integrated stand used in conjunction with the Sundog Black.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=123928.0

Anybody have experience with the iNukes?

werd

« Reply #655 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:13 pm »
I was just looking at those about 20 minutes ago. You need xlr and Speakon out only.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #656 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:20 pm »
Maybe it wasn't a guy.
Don't you think it would be a lot different than it is if a woman designed it?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #657 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:22 pm »
I was just looking at those about 20 minutes ago. You need xlr and Speakon out only.
Those don't sound like insurmountable obstacles.

JDUBS

« Reply #658 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:25 pm »

XLR only?  Incorrect.

TS/TRS works just fine.

werd

« Reply #659 on: 30 Oct 2014, 07:29 pm »
Those don't sound like insurmountable obstacles.

No but I am not going to spend another $10 on Speakon connects to hear what a $300  amp sounds like.