Class D versus the rest

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Class D versus the rest
« Reply #540 on: 28 Oct 2014, 09:51 pm »
So to be clear, amp can still reach full power with sufficient voltage with the gain adjustments dialed down?

Yes.

OzarkTom

« Reply #541 on: 28 Oct 2014, 09:55 pm »
I only care about the best setting for the SQ. 9-12 o'clock is it. :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #542 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:03 pm »
Yes.

No, it can't (under normal usage). 

The only way it could reach full power is IF the incoming voltage is way higher than the average 1-2 volts, and the scaled down voltage was sufficient achieve a full powered output.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #543 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:09 pm »
The only way it could reach full power is IF the incoming voltage is way higher than the average 1-2 volts.

Correct and many active preamps can provide more than enough gain to make up for the reduced input sensitivity on the amp.

Freo-1

« Reply #544 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:14 pm »
Correct and many active preamps can provide more than enough gain to make up for the reduced input sensitivity on the amp.

Depends on the scaling factor on the amp/attenuator setup.  I would argue that at 9 o'clock, the attenuation would be significant to restrict the output power from achieving anywhere near full output from MOST preamps. 

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #545 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:24 pm »
Depends on the scaling factor on the amp/attenuator setup.  I would argue that at 9 o'clock, the attenuation would be significant to restrict the output power from achieving anywhere near full output from MOST preamps.

Yep.  I think we are getting wrapped up in semantics.  

You went from painting with a very broad brush to a little thin line I can barely see.

Of course each system will be different, so gain staging will vary.

roscoeiii

« Reply #546 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:32 pm »

No, it can't (under normal usage). 

The only way it could reach full power is IF the incoming voltage is way higher than the average 1-2 volts, and the scaled down voltage was sufficient achieve a full powered output.

Good thing I have a preamp that can put out some serious voltage. From the Stereophile measurements: "Only at around 10V output level (!) does the distortion start to rise above the noise floor." And with a 15V input (OK, true I'm not going to find a source like that), my kW preamp still wasn't clipping while outputting 54.7V  :o.

Freo-1

« Reply #547 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:39 pm »
Maybe if you try reading a little slower and think about what you have read it will help.
You went from painting with a very broad brush to a little thin line I can barely see.

Of course each system will be different, so gain staging will vary.

And maybe if you thought about the original post (that it is very doubtful that full power can be achieved with the knobs at 9 o'clock),  we would not have to have the back and forth.  That is barely off the lower end, which would have a significant amount of attenuation.  It is hard to tell exactly how the scaling is setup.

I think everybody gets it now. 

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #548 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:42 pm »
(that it is very doubtful that full power can be achieved with the knobs at 9 o'clock),

It depends, is the actual answer (like most things in our hobby).

Freo-1

« Reply #549 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:46 pm »
It would be fairly easy to work out, if a source is connected directly to the unit.  If the connection is XLR, it would achieve full power at a lower setting than if it was RCA.

roscoeiii

« Reply #550 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:47 pm »
And back to listening impressions I hope...

Freo-1

« Reply #551 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:50 pm »
It's important that listening impressions are taken in context.  It's already been posted that the amp sounds different (better) when the volume knobs on the amp are at 9 o'clock.  That means that the efficiency of the speakers, along with the input, needs to be understood to evaluate.  If speakers are say, 85 to 87 db/w, and a source of 2 volts is connected, listening impressions could be very different, as the amp may not achieve full power configured like this.  The input volume knobs may need to be at 2 to 3 o'clock to achieve full power.   

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #552 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:53 pm »
It's important that listening impressions are taken in context.  It's already been posted that the amp sounds different (better) when the volume knobs on the amp are at 9 o'clock.  That means that the efficiency of the speakers, along with the input, needs to be understood to evaluate.  If speakers are say, 85 to 87 db/w, and a source of 2 volts is connected, listening impressions could be very different.

+1  :green:

Freo-1

« Reply #553 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:55 pm »
+1  :green:

Cheers, Mate!  I had hoped we would all get on the same page here.

Rclark

« Reply #554 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:57 pm »
Those Crown amps look intriguing for the money. I have a Virtue 2 on my Maggies in the living room, I could put a Crown on those and give them the power they really want, and another one on my spare set of M&K's and finally get a theater going out there. Some EMO theater receiver action and I'm set.

I knew once the Ncores were introduced, class D would get better and cheaper, quickly. I doubt the Crown is on par with Ncore technology, but I've heard the TBI Millennia (which wasn't even close to Ncore in any way possible, was OzarkTom's modded tour amp, not even close), and it was a very good amp.

Eventually though, I'd say within 5-10 years we will have Ncore class amps (best of the best sound quality with no need for external power filtering or stupid cables - even the Crown amp advertises this), huge power, supreme performance, commodity prices.

They will be dime a dozen and far superior to the ancient, extremely expensive space heaters that came before.

OzarkTom

« Reply #555 on: 28 Oct 2014, 11:01 pm »
It's important that listening impressions are taken in context.  It's already been posted that the amp sounds different (better) when the volume knobs on the amp are at 9 o'clock.  That means that the efficiency of the speakers, along with the input, needs to be understood to evaluate.  If speakers are say, 85 to 87 db/w, and a source of 2 volts is connected, listening impressions could be very different, as the amp may not achieve full power configured like this.  The input volume knobs may need to be at 2 to 3 o'clock to achieve full power.

It is nice to have the option to lower it or crank it up. 9 0'clock setting gives me about 20-25 WPC on my 85db Zellatons.. 12 o'clock and it is more like 75-100 WPC. I will never use the 375 WPC.

Listening impressions are coming shortly. :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #556 on: 28 Oct 2014, 11:18 pm »
Those Crown amps look intriguing for the money. I have a Virtue 2 on my Maggies in the living room, I could put a Crown on those and give them the power they really want, and another one on my spare set of M&K's and finally get a theater going out there. Some EMO theater receiver action and I'm set.

I knew once the Ncores were introduced, class D would get better and cheaper, quickly. I doubt the Crown is on par with Ncore technology, but I've heard the TBI Millennia (which wasn't even close to Ncore in any way possible, was OzarkTom's modded tour amp, not even close), and it was a very good amp.

Eventually though, I'd say within 5-10 years we will have Ncore class amps (best of the best sound quality with no need for external power filtering or stupid cables - even the Crown amp advertises this), huge power, supreme performance, commodity prices.

They will be dime a dozen and far superior to the ancient, extremely expensive space heaters that came before.

A little too much hype!   :lol:

Some Class D amps do sound pretty damn good.  I actually think the Yamaha MX-D1 sounds better than the NCore, but it's like splitting hairs. 

However, there will always be audiophiles who prefer the sounds coming a well made tube setup.  Tubes are more linear than any sand amp, regardless of topology.

Freo-1

« Reply #557 on: 28 Oct 2014, 11:19 pm »
It is nice to have the option to lower it or crank it up. 9 0'clock setting gives me about 20-25 WPC on my 85db Zellatons.. 12 o'clock and it is more like 75-100 WPC. I will never use the 375 WPC.

Listening impressions are coming shortly. :thumb:

Looking forward to them!

Rclark

« Reply #558 on: 28 Oct 2014, 11:19 pm »
Not hype, it's inevitable, it's too obvious.

OzarkTom

« Reply #559 on: 28 Oct 2014, 11:24 pm »

I doubt the Crown is on par with Ncore technology, but I've heard the TBI Millennia (which wasn't even close to Ncore in any way possible, was OzarkTom's modded tour amp, not even close), and it was a very good amp.

Did you forget the two Ncore owners that thought the TBI sounded better in the midrange?