Selling all demo speakers!!!

beaglebump

Re: Selling all demo speakers!!!
« Reply #40 on: 21 Aug 2020, 08:02 pm »
You will be delighted with your Athena, Greg.  I have one of Lou's earliest pairs (same pair he first took to shows), which have been with me for several yrs now.  All the upgrades, etc since.  Lou and I have chatted many times about raising the bar with the Apollo 11s, and I may yet do so someday.  For now, I can just tell you that the Athena continue impress - Beautiful and spot-on clarity, truth-to-source timbre, all the superlatives apply.  I still shake my head with a smile.  Recently changed amplification from Merrill Audio Veritas (Class D) to VAC Statement 450 iQ.  I never knew what the Athena could bring until the VAC walked in! 

Enjoy your new babies.   

GregC

« Reply #41 on: 21 Aug 2020, 08:23 pm »
You will be delighted with your Athena, Greg.  I have one of Lou's earliest pairs (same pair he first took to shows), which have been with me for several yrs now.  All the upgrades, etc since.  Lou and I have chatted many times about raising the bar with the Apollo 11s, and I may yet do so someday.  For now, I can just tell you that the Athena continue impress - Beautiful and spot-on clarity, truth-to-source timbre, all the superlatives apply.  I still shake my head with a smile.  Recently changed amplification from Merrill Audio Veritas (Class D) to VAC Statement 450 iQ.  I never knew what the Athena could bring until the VAC walked in! 

Enjoy your new babies.   

Thanks for sharing your experience with your Athena speakers.  My room is very limiting in terms of the size and placement so Lou thought the Athena speakers would be a good match.  I will be using Digital Amp Company Golden Cherry amps with custom linear power supplies that Tommy made for the amps.  I cannot wait to hear the Athenas sing.

advanced101

« Reply #42 on: 30 Aug 2020, 01:10 pm »
Good Lord that price on the Zeus set... Making me think of selling mine to move up.

A_shah

« Reply #43 on: 31 Aug 2020, 08:23 pm »

@Advanced101
Zeus
if you have space yes it would be worth it !

Asghar

MKJM4

« Reply #44 on: 9 Sep 2020, 01:51 am »
I don’t believe I Have seen anything as beautiful as those baked Maple Speakers. Someone is very lucky to own those.

rbbert

« Reply #45 on: 9 Sep 2020, 01:51 pm »
I don’t believe I Have seen anything as beautiful as those baked Maple Speakers. Someone is very lucky to own those.

Soon, I hope  :)

advanced101

« Reply #46 on: 9 Sep 2020, 04:36 pm »
@Advanced101
Zeus
if you have space yes it would be worth it !

Asghar

Well, my Orpheus are for sale on Audiogon if anyone is looking.  Hopefully they sell in time to get the demo Zeus.  If not, no big deal, they are phenomenal and can still be updated to the new tweeters and mid-range trim rings.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #47 on: 10 Sep 2020, 04:12 am »

I would love to hear the comments from those who too the plunge and are listening to their new broken in demo speakers

I am a Daedalus-aholic
I recently purchased some ... demos
It has been three weeks since I got to bed on time....

GregC

« Reply #48 on: 11 Sep 2020, 08:21 pm »
I would love to hear the comments from those who too the plunge and are listening to their new broken in demo speakers

I am a Daedalus-aholic
I recently purchased some ... demos
It has been three weeks since I got to bed on time....

I just received my Athenas today, and they are sitting in my entry way waiting to be unboxed.  Speaking of unboxed, do any of you Daedalus owners have helpful tips that you wish you knew before you unboxed your speakers?

cheech

« Reply #49 on: 11 Sep 2020, 09:05 pm »
Greg, see Sebastien's comments on pg 2 of the thread linked below

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167387.20

GregC

« Reply #50 on: 11 Sep 2020, 09:11 pm »
Greg, see Sebastien's comments on pg 2 of the thread linked below

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167387.20

Thanks Cheech.  Fortunately I do not have to worry about DiD pucks for now, just spikes on the bottom of the speakers.

cheech

« Reply #51 on: 12 Sep 2020, 02:30 pm »
Greg, hopefully his unpacking tips & spike "hookup" helped you

GregC

« Reply #52 on: 13 Sep 2020, 07:28 pm »
Here are the Athena speakers in my system.  They sound even better than they look.

Bones13

« Reply #53 on: 14 Sep 2020, 10:46 am »
Beautiful system there, congratulations!

Enjoy.

Sébastien

« Reply #54 on: 14 Sep 2020, 01:04 pm »
Hi Greg,

Congratulations, you have a nice installation magnified by your Athena. Take great pleasure in listening.

rbbert

« Reply #55 on: 18 Sep 2020, 10:15 pm »
Baked maple Apollo 11’s are up and running...  Photos (perhaps) and listening impressions at an undetermined future time.

rbbert

« Reply #56 on: 19 Sep 2020, 02:42 pm »
Initial impressions compared to the Ulysses - they play "bigger", even with my eyes closed  :lol:.  A couple of mild surprises:  I forgot that they are slightly less efficient than the Ulysses, but noticed that with familiar material my volume control was 1-2 dB higher, and sure enough the spec sheet says 1.5 dB less efficient; they didn't "drop" right into the same placement as the Ulysses, it quickly became apparent that moving them a couple of inches further out into the room and in from the sidewalls resulted in a noticeable improvement in imaging and smoother response.

advanced101

« Reply #57 on: 19 Sep 2020, 04:22 pm »
What do you think about the high end (Tweeters)?  More/ less sparkle, detail, brightness, etc?

rbbert

« Reply #58 on: 19 Sep 2020, 07:50 pm »
What do you think about the high end (Tweeters)?  More/ less sparkle, detail, brightness, etc?

Too early for more in-depth sonic comments, I think.  2 things I have noticed about the tweeters: I prefer (so far) the level switch in the (-) position, and I imagine the staggered angling contributes to the bigger stereo image.  It also makes adjusting toe-in much easier (I have ended up just making the outside of the speaker parallel to the room wall).  Last thing - so far the louder I play them the better they sound   :D

GregC

« Reply #59 on: 20 Sep 2020, 11:14 pm »
Here are some pictures that show the amazing walnut cabinets.  Thought I would share so people can admire the quality of Lou's work (and not the quality of my photography).