Omega B200 Aperiodic prototypes (long)....

powerbench

Aperoidic b200
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jul 2005, 09:16 pm »
Yes thanks for the previously posted info.With the combination of Louis' audio expertise and cabinetry skills we are in for a big treat.

Bwanagreg

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jul 2005, 09:36 pm »
Thanks for the responses everyone. This is some exciitng S***!

mcgsxr

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jul 2005, 12:35 am »
As the owner of a set of the Visatons, I am patiently (well, that is probably a stretch...  :lol: ) waiting to hear about cabinet costs.

Looking forward to some ears on this design, and if the price is right, perhaps even my own!

tyee

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jul 2005, 02:40 am »
Mark
  Yes, I'm waiting for info on the cabinets too. Will we be able to buy them separately from the drivers, because we already have the drivers!

From Vinnie's site it looks like they are modding the drivers so we may be out of luck.

maxwalrath

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jul 2005, 02:53 am »
Hats off to Vinnie and Louis for giving the customers what they want faster than anyone would imagine was possible.

mcgsxr

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jul 2005, 11:07 am »
Tyee - we will have to wait and see how the design comes to market, if people like us will simply be able to buy cabinets, and do the driver install on our own - I do see some reference to driver mods, but no details.

I would understand if that is not something that these guys want to publish...

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #26 on: 28 Jul 2005, 12:41 pm »
Quote from: tyee
Yes, I'm waiting for info on the cabinets too. Will we be able to buy them separately from the drivers, because we already have the drivers!

From Vinnie's site it looks like they are modding the drivers so we may be out of luck....

All,

I did bring this to the attention to Louis, and he seemed willing to reduce the total price of the finished speakers if one sends their B200s to him so he can tweak them and install them in his custom aperiodic cabinet.  

He is in the process of figuring out the pricing info, and I promise to post this as soon as it becomes available...

powerbench

B200s
« Reply #27 on: 28 Jul 2005, 02:06 pm »
Sounds like a KICK A** deal sounds like a contender !!!

Louis O

« Reply #28 on: 29 Jul 2005, 02:00 am »
Hi all,

Thanks Vinnie and I would be happy to mod the drivers and take care of cabinets for anyone who has the drivers already. I wouldn't think of charging anything to mod the drivers.

The speakers are Factory direct and I have some figuring to do. Looks like there will be 2 prices and only in regard to finish. Standard finishes will be the laminates (Red & Black Parisian Maple, Blue Artic). The ebony and Teak will be $150 more due to the material being so expensive. The Rmods are standard as well.

I promise to have prices posted very soon and I will post on Vinnies site as well.

Many thanks,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jul 2005, 02:16 am »
Hi miklorsmith,

This is a great idea and could be a lot of fun.
I can't wait for the Denver show everything will be there. In the meantime something might work out. I also look forward to meeting the ZU guys too. I hear a lot of great things about them.

Hi Konut,

Maybe the comparison will happen faster.

Hi Seminarian,

The Grande 8R comparison would be very interesting and anything could happen.

Many thanks,
Louis

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
more break in...
« Reply #30 on: 29 Jul 2005, 03:06 pm »
All,

My Omega B200s have been breaking in (I use a 10Hz tone and let it run on repeat all night...really moving them drivers  :P ), and the sound just keeps getting better.  Bass is hitting even harder and the vocals are really sounding open and pure.  

I plan to spend more time listening over the weekend and I'll update my findings on this thread.

Cheers!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Pricing info
« Reply #31 on: 29 Jul 2005, 09:19 pm »

fabaudio

« Reply #32 on: 29 Jul 2005, 10:36 pm »
WOW!! Let's see, where's that credit card :?:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #33 on: 30 Jul 2005, 10:38 am »
Very nice.  Now you can get 8.5 octaves out of the B200 in a reasonably sized box without EQ.

Pricing seems in line with other Omega offerings and very competitive with other companies.  Louis is a very pleasant chap and the quality of his work is beyond reproach.  With stands you'd be looking at about $1400 for 8.5 octaves of organic greased lightning at 95 dB/w/m and 6 ohms.  

For around $2000 you could add a Clari-T with Auricap and Black Gate upgrades for a very killer system, just add your favorite source.

BTW Vinnie just annouced mods for the SqueezeBox 2.  Now the very killer system is complete for under $3000 plus PC!!

maxwalrath

« Reply #34 on: 30 Jul 2005, 02:27 pm »
Quote from: fabaudio
WOW!! Let's see, where's that credit card :?:

:idea:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #35 on: 31 Jul 2005, 01:32 am »
Vinnie R. :
    I plan to spend more time listening over the weekend and I'll update my findings on this thread.
    [/list:u]
      Thanks Vinnie ! Since you have heard the new "Hemp" speaker , do you think you can compare the two(Hemp vs B200), and relate what differences you hear ? Thanks !!! :) [/list:u]
        Chris[/list:u]

powerbench

speakers
    « Reply #36 on: 31 Jul 2005, 06:38 am »
    I spoke a little with Loius over the phone re; hemps vs B200s and one thing he did mention  i believe that with the hemps room placement is a more critical issue.Maybe he can comment more on this.

kbuzz3

more info pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee
    « Reply #37 on: 1 Aug 2005, 01:34 am »
    I for one am very curious about the aperiodic v. the hemps both sonically, placement and cost wise....

of course any new offering by loius is fun to watch.....

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    « Reply #38 on: 1 Aug 2005, 02:16 am »
    Quote from: lonewolfny42
    Vinnie R. :
      [/list:u]
        Thanks Vinnie ! Since you have heard the new "Hemp" speaker , do you think you can compare the two(Hemp vs B200), and relate what differences you hear ? Thanks !!! :) [/list:u]

Hi Chris,

It is hard to give a good apples-to-apples comparison on the B200s vs. HempTones because I have not heard the HempTones in my listening room.  However, I was able to hear them both in the Omega Room (for a limited listening session), so I'll comment on that:

1) Both speakers are in the same sized enclsoure, but the enclosure type is different (sealed aperiod vs. bass reflex).  The HempTone is a little bit more efficient.

2) The B200s are tighter, faster (the tightest, fastest box speaker I've heard to date!) and easier to place in a room, while the HempTones have more bass output and slam factor, but need more care in placing them because they are rear-ported.

3) Both have excellent treble extension.  The Hemptone uses an Omega custom modified whizzer, while the B200 uses no whizzer at all.

4) The HempTones seemed to have a little more richness to the midrange, but also had a lot more break-in on the driver.

Again, I really need to hear the broken-in HempTones in my house to get a better comparsion to my now well broken in B200s.  Louis will make the trip up one of these days.  Now that I have become familiar with my B200s in my listening room, it will be easier to detect the differences between the two speakers once I hear HempTones over here.  Both are fantastic sounding speakers, and IMO, the creme of the crop of Omegas!  :singing:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
      « Reply #39 on: 1 Aug 2005, 02:36 am »
      Thanks Vinnie !!! I was impressed with the "Hemp's" at Hogg's/Jim's Rave...sounded very good in the small room, and even better in the larger room :hyper: . So that is why I asked about how the two compare.
        Happy listening !!![/list:u]