Omega B200 Aperiodic prototypes (long)....

powerbench

The proof of the pudding is the eating there of....
« Reply #60 on: 4 Aug 2005, 07:12 pm »
We shall soon see...looking forward to the visit :D

powerbench

« Reply #61 on: 4 Aug 2005, 07:12 pm »

powerbench

« Reply #62 on: 4 Aug 2005, 07:13 pm »

powerbench

« Reply #63 on: 4 Aug 2005, 07:17 pm »

Brad

« Reply #64 on: 4 Aug 2005, 07:28 pm »
Did you stutter on the mouse click to 'submit' ?    :o

powerbench

« Reply #65 on: 4 Aug 2005, 08:03 pm »
oops sorry  to all the viewers out there :oops:

Brad

« Reply #66 on: 4 Aug 2005, 08:27 pm »
just teasing, PB

Can't wait for someone to receive their Omega B200's.....interested in how they do with the Clari-T and also with tubes...... :D

Aman

• http://www.mgforums.com
« Reply #67 on: 4 Aug 2005, 08:53 pm »
One thing that I am familiar with in such one-driver, crossoverless designs, is that they are sometimes unable to handle very complex music, like orchestral jazz and progressive rock pieces.

I was also told, however, that these new drivers were a response to those claims. Can anybody fill me in on the detail/resolution/complexity of these speakers in comparison to their older models?

And... are these for preview at the factory in Norwalk, CT? If so, I'll certainly make the drive up :D

GHM

« Reply #68 on: 4 Aug 2005, 11:42 pm »
Aman,
there will always be a compromise with any design. When I see these comments  about single drivers not handling complex music ..it cracks me up. :lol:
It's more about how loud you listen with them. If you listen to music above 90 or 95db.... single drivers won't excel in this area. What they do have is speed like nothing I've heard besides ribbons and electrostats. At sane levels the FR will glide through complex music. So much info seems to get loss in complex crossovers. This is very easy to hear once your ears become tuned to their sound. Of course this is my experience and humble opinion.

For me listening at 95 dB is a good way to cut this hobby short .Since your hearing will be terrible after a couple of years. I'm glad the previous owner of my speakers  was a rocker...because I feel like I got a terrific deal on true world class speakers in the sound department. :wink:

We pick our poison and live with it. You must decide which poison works best for you.

Bwanagreg

« Reply #69 on: 5 Aug 2005, 12:31 am »
One thing that I am familiar with in such one-driver, crossoverless designs, is that they are sometimes unable to handle very complex music, like orchestral jazz and progressive rock pieces.

I listen to a LOT of prog on the now inadequate  :roll:  Fostex 8" and can't imagine where this impression came from. Anyone who's heard my system is amazed by the detail and ability to resolve complex prog-like stuff.  I agree though that if you want to listen at crazy loud volumes (not "merely" loud) you'll have this problem. The best way to extend the volume range of any smaller speaker is to add an electronic crossover and subwoofer if you think you need to (I tried it but pulled it out except for movies).

Dmason

« Reply #70 on: 5 Aug 2005, 12:45 am »
I like the B200 EXACTLY because of its ability to dissect individual instrumentation; this also is the forte of Tripath amps. The two are like a hand-in-glove operation, virtually unparalleled in my opinion. The warm timbre of the T amps, with the TONE TONE TONE of hemp, or "manila" based cone material is pretty much where I stop in this quest.

I second the motion to refer this notion to the Department of Sweeping Generalizations. That one seems right in there with the "avoid the B200 because of its rising frequency response," crowd.

And speaking of complex material, orchestral, or prog rock you say? Try Tchaikovsky's 5th, or Yes' newly remastered 'Awaken,' to see about the ability of wide range drivers of this calibre, and their ability to portray accurately, what is actually going on in a complex recording. It doesn't get any more complicated than some of this stuff.

Aman

• http://www.mgforums.com
« Reply #71 on: 5 Aug 2005, 01:22 am »
You guys have easily convinced me now :D

Do you guys think that Louis has a demo pair ready for trying out at his factory?

Thanks guys. This entire community has been very helpful.
-Andrew

JohnR

« Reply #72 on: 5 Aug 2005, 01:26 am »
Quote from: mcgsxr
Unbroken in, the system was really bright, and quite reflective of the FR plots. Over the last 2-3 months, this has changed remarkably - driver break in? Not sure, don't care.

So, I find that the FR plots are not accurate for a broken in driver.

Thanks Mark, that's an interesting observation. I've been interested in the drivers since long before they showed up here, but I was disappointed that the published curves show the sensitivity too low to mate with the woofer I was planning to use them with. I've had bad experiences with drivers with similar plots in the past, once bitten etc..

I won't bother responding to Dmason's sweeping generalization.

Cheers

Louis O

« Reply #73 on: 6 Aug 2005, 06:44 pm »
Hi Dan,

That’s the idea of the speakers. I really like versatility and your right about vents being stuffed and the 2 drivers are only slightly different in Diameter. The Hemps are a tiny bit smaller. Retrofitting is easy with a router. Just cut a chamfer and the B200 will fit.

Also a 1.5 way system can easily be done with adding another compact cabinet under the main cabinet. Instant floorstanding 1.5 way. This could be added at anytime too.

Big speaker projects are eating away at me. I can really see me building them in the future. HempTones and Tone Tubbies are made side by side at the factory. Not to difficult to make 12” or 15”s.

Hi Kbuzz and Bwanagreg,

Fostex drivers are really good too and started the whole thing with Fostex. I’ve learned so much in using them that much of what goes into the Fostex speakers are incorporated in the new speakers.

Hi skite30,

I have tried the both new speakers with my tube gear as well as the Lotus and my Bottlehead 2A3s run them with no worry. I also got the approval of Don Garber in regards to the B200 and the 6-ohm load.

The drivers have been tweaked to reduce peaks in the mids. With what I have done the balance is very good.

Hi Dmason,

You hit this topic head on and I agree 1000%. Hearing is believing and I heard and I’m hooked. I also heard and bought many drivers and some that where $2000 a pair that no way and no how has the Tone or balance of the Hemps or the B200s. I would never, ever release a speaker I didn’t 100% believe in. Specs and graphs aren’t the whole picture here.

Also, if I can’t voice a speaker system mechanically to my liking, I wont build it.
Makes no sense to get really caught up in manufacturers plots. Most are fudged beyond belief anyway. Pretty soon Voice coil is going to release the real specs on many drivers.

Hi mcgsxr,

Thanks for the links and skite, it’s really worth it.

Hi Powerbench,

Once I get your drivers they are good to go. It would be great if Mark can listen to yours.

Hi Mark,

I will get them out next week for sure and with the Clari t it’s an amazing combo.

Hi JohnR,

I measured my completed speakers in my room (52Hz) and Vinnie’s (45Hz). The balance is excellent and about SPL. The Hemptones are 96dB and the B200 are very close to this in my room.

It’s really hard to post more about the issue from what I’ve read from Powerbench, Konut and Mark. They have done a great job in regards to this issue. I can only stress that you have to hear the drivers to understand what they can do.

Hi Aman,

These 2 new drivers are definitely a response to your question. They can handle complex material and Rock is not a problem. Vinnie knows what I listen too over here at the shop and when the new B200s come in, it would be my pleasure for you to stop by.

Hi Bwanagreg and GHM,

I really don’t know why this came about either. Right from the beginning I always played complex stuff. At the N.Y. Rave, The HempTones where right there with the much larger Tannoy Turnberry with complex music.

Hi Andrew,

Give me a call and we’ll set it up.

Dmason

« Reply #74 on: 6 Aug 2005, 09:34 pm »
"Big speaker projects are really eating away at me..."

Maybe I should plan a holiday in Connecticut, where we could take a few days and just build some of these ideas, like a B200 Theater Series, with nice 15" JBL on bottom, or BMS Coaxial point source BIG box stuff, and really take Vinnie's sound out on the road. I only heard the ClariT on the cone part of these things and MAN  :o did I like it. JumbOmega Speakers

Tweak: John Harrison has promised me 2 JBL 2226 for Hemp cone retrofit. Imagine a design incorporating those, with the HempTones?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #75 on: 7 Aug 2005, 12:28 am »
Vinnie,
I'd bet a NoBox style with a hemp 15" and an active EQ like the Behringer would be pretty sweet. Vertical bi-amping with a couple of Clari Ts would be logical. You'd get back your 96dB efficiency, too,vs the 90dB for the NoBox. Very simple and cheap to manufacture - you could even ship it in two boxes with the "enclosure" flat packed in one of them.
Russell

Dmason

« Reply #76 on: 7 Aug 2005, 12:36 am »
The B200 I have found to be surprisingly easy to integrate with bass augmentation. People have been known to shy away from a driver with Q=.7, but it makes it a very versatile driver for various loads unavailable to lower Q drivers. With the Q=.45 of the HempTone, really, any load is now in Louis' crosshairs.

Louis O

« Reply #77 on: 7 Aug 2005, 12:46 am »
Hi Dan,

Now that sounds like a plan and I'm all over that.

I've got everything here to make Hempmonsters. I've got a rack of 38mm mdf and 13-ply birch. Big box jumbomega with happy hemps. Sounds kick ass to me. Vinnie amp powered big boxes on the road would be a lot of fun.

Let me know about the JBL hemp retrofit. This would be a natural fit with the 8" hemps or B200s

For now I may try out 2 of the EV 18" subs with B200s. Teac on the bass and Clari t/Lotus on the full rangers

Talk to you soon,
Louis

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #78 on: 7 Aug 2005, 12:50 am »
Sorry, my last post was meant to be addressed to Louis O, not Vinnie, and I was referring to the B200s with the hemp 15".
Russell

Louis O

« Reply #79 on: 7 Aug 2005, 01:02 am »
Hi Dan,

The B200s are very versatile because of this. I can easily take the floorstander prototype Hemp cabinet and make a sealed box speaker. It's great for OBs. I could have had any Q I wanted for the hemps and the .45 works best for me for this particular driver. Sealed, vented it all works.

Talk to you soon,
Louis