2a3 tube advice needed

Gopher

2a3 tube advice needed
« on: 28 May 2013, 07:17 pm »
I've got a pair of Melody M845 monoblocks and am in need of a pair of 2a3 tubes to use as drivers.

I'm looking for something that is fairly neutral, with good top end extension and resolution, good overall detail, dynamics and drive.  My system is voiced to the warmer, more developed side and I want to eek out a touch of top end shimmer.

The KR 2a3 is strongly recommended for this situation by ears I really trust, but they're devilishly expensive.  He also recommends Sophia Carbon plate 300B 2.5v (for 2a3) but same deal on expense.

I'm thinking along the lines of a pair of JJ 2a3-40s, Shuguang Black Treasure 2a3s or Psvane Treasure IIs.  I can find no information on the treasure 2s, and generally hated most things psvane, while loving everything black treasure I've tried, so I'm hesitant on that one.

I was also warned away from JJ due to quality control, which has been my experience in the past with many premature JJ failures.

Can anyone compare and contrast these tubes or offer similar alternatives that go for under $300 a pair? 

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
Re: 2a3 tube advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2013, 09:28 pm »
Fred,
For newly made 2A3 types, you can't go wrong with the Sovtek's, especially for the price. I have tried the mesh plate varieties, and IMHO, sound too mushy.

If you'd like to try a pair of Sovtek's, let me know. I am not currently using them.

Cheers,
Pete

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2013, 09:40 pm »
Fred,

KR 2A3 is not that expensive.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2013, 11:48 pm »
You could also try the TJ Fullmusic 2a3/c or 2a3/se mesh plates.  Their 300b variants are fantastic, and I suspect the 2a3's will be the same.  They aren't exactly cheap new, but there's a decent chance of finding a deal on ebay.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2013, 11:56 pm »
At Tubedepot there is a KR 2A3 sale just $585/pair (regular price $775/pair)
http://tubedepot.com/kr-2a3.html

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2013, 12:51 am »
Hey!

As a KR Audio tubes user, 842VHD in case... maybe I a bit biased on this.

But I feel that KR tubes are worth the price. Once you whole one in your hands you can feel the hand built quality, the solid feel and thick glass. And they do last. Sound wise they are lots of positive reviews and etc.

For the sale price FULLRANGEMAN posted above, not much more than some fancy Chinese made one it is a good deal.

Of course at the end it is up to you to decide.

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2013, 01:52 am »
He also recommends Sophia Carbon plate 300B 2.5v (for 2a3) but same deal on expense.
I would avoid graphite plates in small Triodes, especially sino tubes in favor or metal plates IMO.
See part 2 in the mid of the page:
http://www.emissionlabs.com/html/products/Warning-Chinese-Fake-mesh.htm

Gopher

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2013, 02:59 am »
Pete,

I do appreciate that suggestion and offer and may take you up on it.  I actually owned a pair of Fi 2a3 monos and had Sovtecs I used in them along with some RCA biplates and Shuguang 2a3C and I recall preferring both of the latter tubes to the Sovtec, but every circuit is different.

Hugh,

It is all relative to ones disposable income at a given point in time.  Right now I've got two kids and a wife at home on maternity leave, so my pocket money is even shorter then in the past.  That said, I do have a hard time stomaching $500+ for a pair of current production tubes.  Its a relatively modest audio purchase, but it will eventually die and need replacing.

Thanks woofers, I'll keep an eye out on eBay and try to do some reading on their 2a3 offerings as well...   Any chance they're the ones sourcing Sophia?

FRM,

A nice discount from MSRP, but it pretty much doubles what I want to spend at the moment.  Thanks also for that article on fakes...   

SET Man,

I don't doubt they're great, its just a question of what I can comfortably afford relative to other audio purchases I've made recently which in the last 2 months has included a Melody Pure Black 101, pair of Melody M845 monoblocks, Lampizator level 4/gen4 DAC, bunch of power cords and hundreds in tubes.  My summer audio budget is long spent and I shouldn't be putting another penny into the hobby--but alas... here I am with this thread.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2013, 03:23 am »
Fred,

Understood...I forgot to insert a smilie in my last post. :)

Gopher

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2013, 06:32 pm »
Welp.  I decided to give the JJ 2a3-40 from Eurotubes a try, despite what I've heard about reliability.  Supposedly Eurotubes is the bes tplace to get JJ tubes as they weed out the bad ones and actually test everything...  Here is hoping!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2013, 08:41 pm »
Hey!

As a KR Audio tubes user, 842VHD in case... maybe I a bit biased on this.

But I feel that KR tubes are worth the price. Once you whole one in your hands you can feel the hand built quality, the solid feel and thick glass. And they do last. Sound wise they are lots of positive reviews and etc.

For the sale price FULLRANGEMAN posted above, not much more than some fancy Chinese made one it is a good deal.

Of course at the end it is up to you to decide.

Take care,
Buddy  :thumb:
Once you whole one in your hands you can feel the hand built quality, the solid feel and thick glass.
Pal I know what you mean, even own 6C33 before, this is exactly what I feel when I hold a GM70 in my hands, the only diference I pay only $17/each. Here there is a price/value issue.

For this reason I have no desire to buy a beautiful affordable chinese 211/845/805 amp and have to pay hundreds of dollars in a chinese big Triode tube, or even more in a NOS USA rare specimen.
Cheers

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2013, 06:34 am »

Thanks woofers, I'll keep an eye out on eBay and try to do some reading on their 2a3 offerings as well...   Any chance they're the ones sourcing Sophia?

Yes, they are.  I don't know that the models necessarily all match up 1:1 between the brands, but at least some of them do, so TJ Fullmusic is definitely making Sophia tubes.  I believe the "SE" models from Fullmusic are basically equivalent to the Princess models from Sophia.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2013, 05:03 pm »
I know I'm a bit late to this thread but I just saw that Roger Modjeski is selling matched RCA 2A3 for $300/pair.  Sounds like a steal considering how he thoroughly tests tubes.  At the bottom of the page:

http://www.tubeaudiostore.com/powertubes.html

sandston

« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2018, 02:50 am »
Hey Gopher I own a pair of the Melody M845's as well. Came across this old post and thought id reach out to see what tubes you were using these days. I have looking to see roll some 2a3's and was searching around the web for direction. Currently I am running the Psvane 845 TIIs and the 2A3 TIIs. The real revelation for me happened recently when I put a pair of Rayteon VT-231's in the front. These tubes are explosive. 6SN7's before this were the  Melz hole plates and the KenRad Black Glass. The reviews dont lie about the dynamics o this tube. Perhaps its tilted or accentuated but the PRAT level just went through the roof with bass almost as strong and tight as the ken rads and lots of punch and dynamics. Maybe not for everyone but im hooked.