Biasing amps-Some help? DIY guide?

johnzm

Biasing amps-Some help? DIY guide?
« on: 9 Dec 2010, 06:59 pm »
I was thinking maybe if someone who has done this successfully before, like Mr. Bedworth, would be able to post some pictures and a little how to, on where the bias measuring points are, what screws to turn and which way to turn them ect. i am familiar with poking around inside of tube amps, but when it comes to my odysseys, id rather not  "poke around" too much, if you know what i mean.

i think a picture how to guide is long overdue for this :) 

germay0653

Re: Biasing amps-Some help? DIY guide?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2010, 12:35 am »
I just emailed Klaus asking for the same info.  Had to move my system from one room to another and the voltage is just a little lower that what Klaus orginally setup the amps for.

djbnh

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2010, 10:59 am »
Interesting topic.

On one hand, I can see how having this information may help defray the shipping costs related to sending amps back to Klaus for rebiasing (and minimizing amp exposure to UPS / FedEx torture tests). On the other, I'm not sure Odyssey's 20 year warranty would cover amps rebiased by owners.

Should be interesting to hear from Klaus.

germay0653

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2010, 12:26 am »
For me, it's not the cost but the time without the use of the amps.   Whatever Klaus determines is fine.

aaron.luebke

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2010, 01:04 pm »
There is the Klaus/warranty issue but of a more immediate concern is the death by electrocution issue.  :o

There are lethal voltages running around that thing and you cannot bias it unless it is plugged in and running.  Even if someone does come up with a detailed set of directions it would be a bad idea to go digging around inside of an electrical component (of any kind) with voltage applied without proper experience or training.

Haoleb

« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2010, 10:41 pm »
Rebiasing them is a pretty easy task. You'll need a DMM to do it. Unless the voltage difference from your other room is greater than 5v its probbably not worth rebiasing them. I'll let klaus provide the specifics as to how its done. If you do it make your life alot easier and get some of the small clip leads for your meter so you can clip onto the component leads while you do it.

germay0653

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2010, 03:55 am »
Thanks Haoleb.  The voltage difference is 5v.  It went from 123v down to 118v.  I just need to know where the leads are to attach the clips.

johnzm

« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2010, 04:26 pm »
 :D

Nicholas Bedworth

• That's me, the one with the glasses...
    • DigitalDirect Website and demo
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2011, 06:50 am »
I can help with instructions for the Kismet monoblocks. Given that this involves opening the case, sticking metallic probes into areas of high voltage and so forth, it's probably better not to post a PDF with the secret instructions (and details of the special costume one needs to wear :)) but PM or e-mail me... nicholas@6moons.com.