Placement of LS-9s

gmarks

Placement of LS-9s
« on: 3 Oct 2022, 07:33 pm »
I have a question about whether a change of placement in my LS-9s will work well.

I currently have my LS-9s in a 32 foot by 32 foot room, but the LS-9 pair is on one 16 x 32 foot side, on the 16 foot end, the pair placed about 8 1/2 feet apart, while the other half is kitchen, entryway, etc. Think of it like a book in front of you, where the prime listening space is the right-hand page, with the speaker pair at the top of that page. It is a large space to fill overall, and has a 2 in 12 slope ceiling just to make it more interesting. Math modeling it is, um, challenging.

The LS-9s are 40 inches from the wall behind them, with heavy, solid cabinetry that is 3 feet tall, 16 inches behind the speakers, extending across that entire wall. Hence the LS-9 lower section is close to the heavy cabinet, while the upper portion of the LS-9s are maybe a little too far from the actual rear wall, in terms of boundary interference effects.

Now my life had changed, my spouse has changed, and I'm trying to figure out what to do next (WAF). In looking at changes in my living room, one possibility is to completely remove the cabinets behind the LS-9s and move the LS-9s closer to the wall, maybe 10 inches out from that wall. With mini-monitors I'd just move things around and see how it sounded. BUT, given the large cabinets and the sheer mass of the LS-9s, it seems prudent to get input from others who have placed LS-9s (or LS-6s) and see whether placing them nearer the wall in this manner seems likely to work out well.

THROWBACK

Re: Placement of LS-9s
« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2022, 10:53 pm »
I have Open Baffle LS-9s and I love 'em. I have made detailed drawings (Corel Draw) of my listening room and placement of my speakers - - but danged if I can figure out how to get it in this space. There is a way to contact me through my email without me blabbing it to the world. Try that. THROWBACK

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2022, 08:49 pm »
If downsizing is a must then you might enjoy the sound of the X-Statik's.

I'd say NX-Otica's but those really like being paired with open baffle servo subs, and I don't know if downsizing to a shorter four piece speaker is what you have in mind.

RusskySam

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2022, 05:56 pm »
I can't comment on placement but I can give you a tip on how to move them easier.

Buy some jumbo furniture sliding pads and glue them to the bottom of the bases.
If your floor is hard (tile, wood) - choose the FELT ones. If it's carpet - get the PLASTIC ones.

Granted, it requires a bit of an effort to topple your speakers down to get access to the bases underside.
I have soft padded sofas that worked for me as a temporary placement. Good thing you only have to do it once.

Once you're done with pads, these giants are easy to move.