Emerald XL compared to Sapphire III

Avfile1

Emerald XL compared to Sapphire III
« on: 10 Jun 2009, 07:15 pm »
  I've just placed an order for a pair of Emerald XLs. I still own a pair of the good old dependable Sapphire IIIs. I'm curious as to how these two models will sound in a side-by-side comparison for straight stereo listening with and without a sub. A friend really, really wants my last remaining pair of Sapphire IIIs. I'm reluctant to let them go, unless of course the Emerald XLs far out pace them. I'll get to do my own comparison soon enough. I was just curious to see if others have compared these two fine ACI speakers.

Capt. Z

Re: Emerald XL compared to Sapphire III
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2009, 08:57 pm »
I briefly had some older Emeralds while the mid driver on my Sapphire III got new surrounds. I did enjoy the Emeralds very much. They did rock, had better upper extension than my Sapphire. But when the Sapphire mid divers came back I was surprised how more 'grown up' they sound.

The voicing of boch speakers is similar, but the tweeter in the two different speakers makes a huge difference.

When I hocked the Sapphire back up the music calmed down, space opened up and everything sounded more refined.

I definetly prefer my Sapphire III over the Emeralds.

Avfile1

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2009, 01:42 pm »
Thanks Capt. Z.,
 The Sapphire IIIs have been a staple in my home for a long time. Mike and his gang have since developed many other very fine speakers. This doesn't, however, diminish the excellent qualities and value of the Sapphire III. In the weeks ahead I'll get to compare it to the Emerald XL and Sapphire XL. Even if they end up outperforming the Sapphire III this speaker will remain, for me, the reference that others get compared to-even the current speakers from ACI. It's a classic!
Avfile1

Avfile1

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2009, 07:00 pm »
   I just received a brand new pair of piano black Emerald XLs from ACI. These things are absolutely amazing! How ACI managed to design something with such great sound coming from a small speaker enclosure like this is beyond me. And this is just right out of the box. They aren't even broke in yet. They are a joy to listen to. The looks are phenomenal too.  These speakers have tight bass (for their size), a wonderful natural, accurate midrange to die for, and what seems to me like more top end extension than the Sapphire IIIs. They put out a nice big soundstage too- not quite as big as the Sapphire IIIs, but still way more than adequate for a small to mid-sized room. And yes, they definitely disappear in the room. This is what home music listening is all about-enjoying the detail, emotions, and nuances of the artists? work. A big A +++. Terrific job Mike!
 Next up will be the Sapphire XLs.

Capt. Z

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2009, 07:06 pm »
That just mirrors the impression I had from my Emeralds a few month back.