Essence vs Sapphire XLC

Avfile1

Essence vs Sapphire XLC
« on: 20 May 2009, 03:28 pm »
 I'm considering changing out my center speaker. I was wondering what the sonic differences are between the Essence and the Sapphire XLC center. I currently have 3 Sapphire IIIs across the front (including the shielded center on its side) and a pair of Emerald LEs for surrounds. I had an Essence that is now at a friends house in a system I'm helping him build. I miss it. I can either get it back or move to the Sapphire XLC. Finally, I also have plans to eventually get a pair of Sapphire XLs for the front L + R or ACI floorstanding models when they eventually come out. I'm sure, in the ACI tradition, that they'll be great.

Joe_K

Re: Essence vs Sapphire XLC
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2009, 09:29 pm »
Hi,
I would go with the Sapphire XLC, esp. since you're going to the Sapphire XLs, ( or floorstanders when avail.)
I haven't heard the Essence, but have heard the Sapphire XLC and it's a killer center.
Good Luck with your decision,
Joe

Avfile1

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2009, 09:51 pm »
I've sold most of my ACI speakers, including my Essence, to finance an upgrade to higher end ACI speakers. I emailed ACI Friday to inquire into ordering a Sapphire XLC and a pair of Emerald XLs that are on sale. I was told "they are indefinitely backordered on the XLC . . .  issues with the cabinet vendor. I don't know what else to say right now about that." The Sapphire XLC section of the web site simply says 'N/A until Fall 2008'. I took this to mean the speakers were available, since it's now Summer 2009, and that someone was getting behind in updating this part of the web site. Boy was I wrong. Next time I'll call or email before I sell off most of my speakers for an upgrade.
 Today I ordered a piano black pair of Emerald XLs. I love ACI speakers and believe the company does a terrific job. I just wish I hadn't sold my Essence. Without an XLC to take its place life just isn't the same. Mike, got any Demo XLCs around...perhaps. I'm looking for a satin black-demo or new.

Avfile1

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2009, 06:59 pm »
 Yesterday (Saturday) within a couple of hours after emailing ACI again and posting here about the need to update the Sapphire XLC section of the web site I noticed that the Sapphire XLC disappeared completely from the web site-both from the XLC section and the price list. Hopefully this was only done to buy time to get the information updated. I'd hate to see ACI discontinue offering a center speaker-especially one as good as ACI makes. A great center is critical to a great HT/surround system.