Recommended Integrated Amp for Sapphire XL's?

innov8ion

Recommended Integrated Amp for Sapphire XL's?
« on: 10 Apr 2009, 10:25 pm »
I've owned a pair of Sapphire XL's for over a couple years now and have been overly satisfied w/ the sound.  Unfortunately, the Dussun V8i powering them stopped operating back in December so I've been w/o music for a while.  Ping Gong of AAA-Audio, North American Dussun distributor, promised he would repair the device and send it back to me.  However, this turned into a four month customer service nightmare that's not even resolved yet.  For your edification, all information to include emails is located here:  http://aaa-audio.digistic.com.  Long story short, be wary of Ping Gong and AAA-Audio.  If you're thinking of buying Dussun, be careful because AAA-Audio is the sole North American distributor...

Since this occurred, I'll need to find another integrated amplifier to power these beautiful Sapphire XL's.  Budget is likely between $750 and $1250.  I've been eyeing the NAD C372 because it looks like a great value.  Wondering if you have any ideas.

I'm sorry for not being overly precise, but I don't need it to bang the walls or anything.  I'm in a loft, so the floor plan is fairly open and the ceilings are 14' high.

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Recommended Integrated Amp for Sapphire XL's?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2009, 10:57 pm »
Funny you should ask. I don't mind promoting the Bel Canto eVo2i currently list on AudioCircle and Audiogon. Check it out here http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1243515926&/Bel-Canto-eVo-2i-upgraded--per.

Joey54

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2009, 11:16 pm »
I have had great luck using a Primare 30.1 integrated amplifier with my ACI Sapphires (25th Anniversary model) . I can only assume that it (or the current model the i30) would be a great match for the XL's. The Primare also sounds great with Proac, Harbeth and B&W speakers. You may be able to find a used one that is in your price range. They have a lower powered one, the i20 that may work as well.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2009, 01:24 pm »
Sorry to hear of your problems with the Dussan, that is a real shame! We used Primaluna intergrated amps at a couple CES shows, they did a fine job, another one to consider.

ajayrav

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2009, 03:20 pm »
Wow, pity about the Dussun.  That e-mail exchange was really a bit bizarre....  hope you get everything worked out.  I second Mike's recommendation about PrimaLuna.  I have a Dialogue One I use with the XLs and they just SING!

Ajay
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2009, 02:10 am by ajayrav »

groovybassist

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2009, 02:03 am »
A used Naim Nait5i might be the ticket as well.  As a bonus, they'd be priced at the lower end of your budget on A'Gon.  Good luck!

-Mike

Zero

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2009, 02:34 am »
The awesome thing about the Sapphire XL's is that there aren't too many amps they won't work well on. That said, at $980, Vista Audio's i34 integrate tube amp is damned tough to beat. Provided you can live with 35 wpc, forget about Jolida, Prima Luna, Rogue, etc..

For solid state, the Naim Nait5i is a solid match, though a bit under-powered if you intend to 'rock out' on the XL's. Great musical mojo though.  On the high power solid state side of town, I'd investigate options from the likes of Sim Audio, Bel Canto, Ayre, or even Blue Circle Audio (if you like a touch of warmth).

Capt. Z

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2009, 09:25 pm »
I have used my ACI Sapphire with SS amps and Tube a tube amp. For ME its TUBES ONLY. I once tried an older NAD amp and it sounded aweful, steril and harsh. (Sorry NAD  :( )

Depending on how much power you need a 45 watt/ch may work well for you. I use a Conrad Johnson CAV50 with mine and it sounds wonderful. Most other tube amps should work well too.