Is this nuts or what?!?

Mike Dzurko

Is this nuts or what?!?
« on: 2 Feb 2009, 02:57 pm »
  :drums:   I’ve made a decision to discontinue the mighty Maestro XL from the ACI lineup. Why? Because it literally hurts to build this beast. It’s too darned heavy!  :weights: The Maestro XL is the only product of ours that requires two people for safe handling and packing. This has been throwing a wrench in our otherwise smooth and streamlined operation. So, the big beast has to go. When the current stock is gone, that’s it.

We have a pretty large quantity of Piano Black Maestro XL cabinets in stock. I want to move these out sooner than later.

:drool:  Now for the really crazy part:  40% off! That’s under $1500 for one of the finest subs ever built! ($1470 to be exact).

http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/maestroxl/maestroxl.htm

Note, at this point, it takes us about two weeks to ship a Maestro XL order, and that time may well get longer as folks hear about this craziness, so the sooner you order, the sooner you can enjoy!
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2009, 11:52 pm by Mike Dzurko »

Ryan45872

Re: Is this nuts or what?!?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2009, 12:39 am »
Mike
Will anything take its place? Or will it just be the Force xl and Titan xl subs.
Ryan

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2009, 03:07 pm »
Mike
Will anything take its place? Or will it just be the Force xl and Titan xl subs.
Ryan

Ryan:

I can't see anything taking the Maestro's place. It would have to be just as heavy to perform as well.

BTW, I bought one for myself. I'm not looking forward to carrying it down the steps. I AM looking forward to having it in that system  :D

Ryan45872

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2009, 03:11 pm »
Mike
Ryan

Ryan:

I can't see anything taking the Maestro's place. It would have to be just as heavy to perform as well.

BTW, I bought one for myself. I'm not looking forward to carrying it down the steps. I AM looking forward to having it in that system  :D

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I meant is ther any new subs your planning or is the Force and Titan xl the only subs you will be offering?

Thanks
Ryan

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2009, 06:49 pm »
Ryan:

As soon as the Maestro XL sells out, it will be only the Force XL and Titan XL. These two subs cover a lot of territory. Somewhere in the future, maybe we'll do something different, we're always playing with new ideas. But that is a long way off.

oris98

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2009, 10:41 pm »
Mike,

I currently have 2 x Force running for stereo in my 17'L x 17'W (iregular, not as exactly sqaure, one of the wall has about 9' in length in 17" width) x 8' high.  I have one Force placed on each side about 5' and 10' away from the front wall along the side walls.  It is currenly used for both 2 channel and HT.  If I want to add the Maestro XL or Titan II into the picture,  where can I put it ?  will it some how lob sided for stereo mode ?  Or it is way over kill for my room size ?

Thanks.

stereocilia

« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2009, 03:18 am »
It must have been a tough decision to d/c the Maestro.  I can understand, though.  When unpacking and moving the Titan XL around, one of my thoughts was that the UPS guy must have used a warehouse full of f-words to get it up my driveway -- the typical UPS truck bottoms out on the steep upward slope.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2009, 05:02 pm »
Mike,

I currently have 2 x Force running for stereo in my 17'L x 17'W (iregular, not as exactly sqaure, one of the wall has about 9' in length in 17" width) x 8' high.  I have one Force placed on each side about 5' and 10' away from the front wall along the side walls.  It is currenly used for both 2 channel and HT.  If I want to add the Maestro XL or Titan II into the picture,  where can I put it ?  will it some how lob sided for stereo mode ?  Or it is way over kill for my room size ?

Thanks.

I've got some good options, I'll get them down by later today. As far as placement, I'd need to see a diagram of your room or some photos. Thanks!

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2009, 05:24 pm »
Oris 98:
Here are two great options to move your system up a couple of notches:

I would think the pair of Force would be excellent for all but the most bass-demanding two-channel material. For stuff like pipe-organ or heavy synth lines you can always use greater low frequency head room. HT it a different beast of course, and there continues to be more and more demands on low frequency output. Two Force are certainly doing a good job for you HT wise, but you can always gain slam and impact with additional output capability.

Option 1:  Replace your Force with a pair of Maestro XL. You could sell the Force to pay for a significant part of the upgrade. Or move them to a different system. You’d maintain true stereo subs and gain benefits for not only HT but for two channel with heavy bass tracks. You also would save some space in your room.

Option 2: Use one Maestro XL to do just the LFE stuff for HT. You’ll gain significant impact and dynamics in your multi-channel content, but movies and music multi – channel.

If I had the room available, I’d go with option 1 personally . . . 

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2009, 03:38 pm »
It must have been a tough decision to d/c the Maestro.  I can understand, though.  When unpacking and moving the Titan XL around, one of my thoughts was that the UPS guy must have used a warehouse full of f-words to get it up my driveway -- the typical UPS truck bottoms out on the steep upward slope.

Yes, the Titan XL is pretty heavy, 82 pounds. I can move it okay by myself, not really fun though. The Maestro XL is 112 pounds, and that is with the separate outboard amp! That extra 30 pounds and the larger size makes it a tough move for one person. I can do it, but I don't because I value my back. I've still got to get mine loaded in the van, get it home, and down the steps. Maybe this weekend :)

ggunnell

« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:02 pm »
You could always offer it in kit form, just the driver and the amp  . . .
I'm sure there are good reasons why you got out of kits years ago :)

Joe_K

« Reply #11 on: 7 Feb 2009, 03:04 am »
Is this nuts or what?!? YES, YES IT IS!!!
One word Mike: WHEATIES!

Seriously, anyone even remotely considering a sub now or down the road should empty the piggy bank and grab one of these!!
I'm sad to hear this. One of the best subs out there. 

JK

aaron_hinni

« Reply #12 on: 7 Feb 2009, 04:02 pm »
Sigh.  I have to Force XLs in my room.  Even though they sound nice and tight, I am just not feeling it as much as I'd hope.  I keep measuring and remeasuring trying to figure out if I can fit one of these bad boys in my room.

Would a Maestro be overkill in a 13x19x7.5 room?  I still don't know if I can physically fit it in a good spot, but I'd like to know what to expect sound/feel wise if I put one of these in my room.  Otherwise I may have to grab a Titan or two at some point.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #13 on: 7 Feb 2009, 04:21 pm »
Sigh.  I have to Force XLs in my room.  Even though they sound nice and tight, I am just not feeling it as much as I'd hope.  I keep measuring and remeasuring trying to figure out if I can fit one of these bad boys in my room.

Would a Maestro be overkill in a 13x19x7.5 room?  I still don't know if I can physically fit it in a good spot, but I'd like to know what to expect sound/feel wise if I put one of these in my room.  Otherwise I may have to grab a Titan or two at some point.

2 Force XL's and you're not feeling it? :scratch: That I have a hard time grasping as I have only 1 Force XL i s a 11 x 17 x 7 foot room and I'm both feeling AND hearing the bass better than any subwoofer I've ever owned. :dunno: as good a deal as ACI is offerring on the Maestro XL I'm not sure my room could handle another Force XL let alone having a massive Maestro XL instead. :lol: Hopefully you can get your issues squared away so you can start enjoyong some rightous bass. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2009, 04:44 pm »

Aaron:

I know you're looking for that extra grunt way down low for primarily HT and perhaps DVD music stuff.  So the answer is a definite yes if you can fit it. A SINGLE Maestro XL has the approx. output capability of greater than SIX Force XLs down low!  . . .  or nearly FOUR Titans! On those sub 25Hz special effects, and even down into the mid-teens you'll really feel it. And best of all, as long as you don't run it too "hot", it will be just as tight and defined as the Force XLs are now.  :D

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #15 on: 7 Feb 2009, 04:48 pm »

2 Force XL's and you're not feeling it? :scratch: That I have a hard time grasping as I have only 1 Force XL i s a 11 x 17 x 7 foot room and I'm both feeling AND hearing the bass better than any subwoofer I've ever owned. :dunno: as good a deal as ACI is offerring on the Maestro XL I'm not sure my room could handle another Force XL let alone having a massive Maestro XL instead. :lol: Hopefully you can get your issues squared away so you can start enjoyong some rightous bass. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Robin:

I know you have really got your system dialed in, cool!  I think in Aaron's case, he's looking for the way down low stuff that is mostly found in movie special effects. Explosions, crashes, the stuff that goes way down under 20 and just makes the room shudder.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #16 on: 7 Feb 2009, 04:49 pm »
 :D
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2009, 11:53 pm by Mike Dzurko »

aaron_hinni

« Reply #17 on: 8 Feb 2009, 12:32 am »

Don't get me wrong, the 2 Force XLs in my room sound spectacular. Heck, just one of them is fine.  I am mainly using the 2nd one to help flatten things out. As Mike said, I am mainly not feeling the lower frequencies... like 30 and below.  The placement I have right now, I even have a pretty big boost around there.

I am still not sure if I could fit a Maestro in my room without looking completely awkward, but I want to make sure that if I do, that I am not going to have things so out of control that my wife is going to disown me, and that I will get some more impact (even at moderate listening levels).

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #18 on: 8 Feb 2009, 12:58 am »

Don't get me wrong, the 2 Force XLs in my room sound spectacular. Heck, just one of them is fine.  I am mainly using the 2nd one to help flatten things out. As Mike said, I am mainly not feeling the lower frequencies... like 30 and below.  The placement I have right now, I even have a pretty big boost around there.

I am still not sure if I could fit a Maestro in my room without looking completely awkward, but I want to make sure that if I do, that I am not going to have things so out of control that my wife is going to disown me, and that I will get some more impact (even at moderate listening levels).

Hey, I know how you feel. I have 1 Force XL on a substand that I built cuz I had no place on the floor for it plus I just feel it integrates better next to one of my main's than in a corner or against a wall. Guess when you stated that you weren't "feeling it", that hit me strange cuz for me and in my system, "feeling it" is 1 of my Force XL's strong point, more so than any other 10" sub that I've ever owned which includes Velodynes and Cerwin Vega. Maybe it's the stand, I did add lots of "vibration fighters" in it's design and I have no idea how low it's actually reaching but it's simply the most tone rich / vibration feeling sub I've ever owned. I like bass but any more of what I already have would simply overpower everything else. But hey, you gotta do what's right for you,, the fact I don't understand it really means squat! :D

Good luck with your decision Aaron. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

NewBuyer

« Reply #19 on: 8 Feb 2009, 06:47 am »
...I am still not sure if I could fit a Maestro in my room without looking completely awkward, but I want to make sure that if I do, that I am not going to have things so out of control that my wife is going to disown me, and that I will get some more impact (even at moderate listening levels).

Personally I hope you will buy and try the Maestro XL, and let us know what you find - I predict you will love it.

And if your wife disowns you, well then you can take your pillow and go sleep on the sub!  :D