Broke out the old X-Statik's once again...

Chops

Broke out the old X-Statik's once again...
« on: 26 Mar 2020, 04:24 pm »
And now back to ole' faithful, with their fully upgraded crossovers (caps/resistors). Man, I love these speakers. I don't know why I keep putting them away and going with other speakers all the time. Literally nothing I have tried over the years compare to these X-Statik's. They are just THAT good. And they still look as great as they did 12 years ago when I took delivery of them.

Temp setup with microfiber towels under them until I get the positioning just right, then the spikes and little footers will go on.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Broke out the old X-Statik's once again...
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2020, 06:01 pm »
Nice! :thumb:  I’m keeping my Statiks as long as I can.  Nice rig too!  Are your amps Vidar or Aegir?  When I can swing it I’m going for a full Schiit system too.  I’m especially interested in the Aegir to drive my Super7’s.

It looks like you have Isoacoustic stands under your subs.  You should try them under the Statiks.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2020, 08:10 pm by corndog71 »

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2020, 07:05 pm »
Did you build them yourself? They look great, love the finish!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2020, 12:46 am »
Yes those are beautiful! I really like the color scheme! I think that would be a good look for the NX-Studio Monitors. I'm not a fan of the copper painted Duratex (sorry Danny) but the rich orange wood to kinda match the copper pole piece with black side panels would look killer!

Great job!

Chops

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2020, 08:33 am »
Nice! :thumb:  I’m keeping my Statiks as long as I can.  Nice rig too!  Are your amps Vidar or Aegir?  When I can swing it I’m going for a full Schiit system too.  I’m especially interested in the Aegir to drive my Super7’s.

It looks like you have Isoacoustic stands under your subs.  You should try them under the Statiks.

Thank you for the kind words. Those are the wonderful Aegir amps. I have yet to crack them open on the X-Statik's other than about talking volume for the past day. I believe 80 watts will be more than enough for these speakers however, as years ago, I powered them with a single Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro, which was a traditional Class A amp putting out a solid 25 watts per channel.

As for the Isoacoustic stands, they're great. I wouldn't trust them under the speakers though.

Chops

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2020, 08:41 am »
Did you build them yourself? They look great, love the finish!

No, these were some of the original X-Statik's from the short lived, defunct company "AV123". And since "AV123" was a odd name with a tarnished reputation, I'd rather refer to the speakers as the GR-Research X-Statik's since Dannie is the brains behind these speakers and his brand reputation is mint.

RonP

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2020, 01:41 pm »
I don't know why I keep putting them away

ummm stop putting them away?  :lol:  :thumb:

Beautiful Speakers. Love those floors too!

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2020, 01:58 pm »
And since "AV123" was a odd name with a tarnished reputation

I don't think AV123 had a tarnished reputation.  I thought everything they produced was good.  I looked into buying some of it myself, but never did, only because of finances. 

AlexH

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2020, 03:26 pm »
If I remember right. It was not the quality of the products, in fact I believe most of their stuff was pretty good if memory serves me right. It was more about the owner and business tactics.

Chops

« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2020, 04:42 pm »
ummm stop putting them away?  :lol:  :thumb:

Beautiful Speakers. Love those floors too!

I know, I know. I can tell you, with this new Schiit gear with some Class A and tube goodness, I have never heard these speakers sound better. These old tweaked X-Statik's sound phenomenal. Holy smokes!

And yes, I love these floors as well. A far cry from what they looked like a year ago. Dark, dingy, scuffed, scratched and stained. Looked like dirt encrusted garbage. After a few patches, heavy sanding and a couple layers of poly, and now you see the results. 

Chops

« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2020, 04:44 pm »
If I remember right. It was not the quality of the products, in fact I believe most of their stuff was pretty good if memory serves me right. It was more about the owner and business tactics.

Correct. There was noting wrong with their products at all. It was just the owner, but we won't go there.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2020, 06:20 pm »
Yes those are beautiful! I really like the color scheme! I think that would be a good look for the NX-Studio Monitors. I'm not a fan of the copper painted Duratex (sorry Danny) but the rich orange wood to kinda match the copper pole piece with black side panels would look killer!

Great job!

If you want a wood that has a natural orange color, check out Padauk. You can also dye a light colored wood to get the color you want.

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2020, 12:57 pm »
Those are some very underrated speakers. Most people have no idea just how good those really are, and they're one of my favorites.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2020, 03:05 pm »
Those are some very underrated speakers. Most people have no idea just how good those really are, and they're one of my favorites.

I think most people have no idea how good any of your speakers really are. Though Ron is doing a good job of enlightening folks. The best audio thing that has happened to me was finding this forum and all the help folks have given me over the past few years.

Early B.

« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2020, 05:47 pm »
I think most people have no idea how good any of your speakers really are.

Years ago, I replaced a pair of VMPS floorstanders with entry level GR Research speakers that were half the size. All of my other previous speakers sounded like garbage. That's when I realized DIY is the way to go, and I've had GR Research speakers ever since. You get 10x the performance at a fraction of the cost of retail. The OB subs are a perfect example. The only other time I've heard bass as good was at an audio show 10 years ago, and those enormous cylindrical subs cost like $20,000/pair.   

AlexH

« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2020, 10:16 pm »
I built my x-statiks about a year ago. Every time I sit down and listen, I am amazed at their preformance. Makes me smile. Now I am thinking about some GR subs to go with them.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2020, 10:33 pm »
I built my x-statiks about a year ago. Every time I sit down and listen, I am amazed at their preformance. Makes me smile. Now I am thinking about some GR subs to go with them.

BE WARNED!!!! If you add the GR OB subs you will become so spoiled you run the risk of becoming a bass snob  :green:

Chops

« Reply #17 on: 31 Mar 2020, 08:38 am »

This is no joke. These X-Statik's are by far the best sounding loudspeakers I have owned and/or currently own, especially now with the upgraded crossovers and No-Rez. They're better than the NHT 2.9's, Martin Logan SL3's, Sonus Faber Venere 1.5's (which I sold to one of my brothers), and recently purchased Klipsch Heresy III's, all of which are sitting in my old bedroom at my parents house that I grew up in.

Though for no reason what so ever, I'm contemplating on eventually purchasing either the NX-Otica or NX-Treme kit. It's hard to imagine how those can sound better than the modded X-Statik's considering the sound I'm getting out of them currently. That and the fact I don't know if my room would be too small for the NX-Treme's.

Chops

« Reply #18 on: 31 Mar 2020, 09:06 am »

I purchased my X-Statik's over 12 years ago, and I'm still amazed at their performance.

Definitely build a pair of OB subs if you can. You won't regret it. I would love to have a pair of OB subs again, but again, I fear my room is simply too small for a pair of OB subs AND a pair of speakers along the front wall. It would end up being too cramped and congested I think. This is why I will most likely be going with a pair of the Rythmik F12G subs instead.

a.k.a. - Not much bigger than the Polk subs I'm using right now, which do a surprisingly good job actually. They just sort of give up the ghost by 25 Hz or so. And they do tend to give up some detail at times. The 10+ years that I've owned them though, they've never given me an issue. That's gotta say something for them.

Captainhemo

« Reply #19 on: 31 Mar 2020, 03:11 pm »
Though for no reason what so ever, I'm contemplating on eventually purchasing either the NX-Otica or NX-Treme kit. It's hard to imagine how those can sound better than the modded X-Statik's considering the sound I'm getting out of them currently. That and the fact I don't know if my room would be too small for the NX-Treme's.

If you are waiting a while for this  project, possibly  there will be a solution  to the   Neo10 situation.  If that is the case,  look no further than the Super 7's.  Having the  OB bass contained in the   cabinet is  a huge bonus in  smaller rooms. I ran the  NX-Otica's and either  dua or triple  OB subs  for  a number of years and my room was always crammed.     The Super 7's are a much better fit  in  my  18x12  space

With regards to the NX-Otica's  and NX-Treme's, you'd be surprised  at how much they   sound  alike assuming  equal crossover components/wiring etc. 
jay